Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sidemarker Flasher Module
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
There has been some interest in a module that would flash the front sidemarker with the turnsignal. The rear running/brake/turnsignal board I did for the 356 using the front turnsignal bucket from a 914 uses the same function to flash the running or brake light when the turnsignal comes on.

The flashing circuit was lifted from the 356 board and placed on this board with some modification. The board will be about 1.6in x 1in and will be enclosed in a small plastic box. The module will replace the wires which go from the front trunk into the rubber wire channel to the sidemarker and turnsignal.

Basically the wires to the turnsignal and sidemarker will be pulled out of the rubber channel and connected to the module. The module will have wires that will be fished into the rubber channel and connected to the sidemarker and turnsignal just like the OEM wiring. The OEM wiring will remain intact keeping with my goal of no cutting/screwing/gluing plug-and-play installation.

@Cairo94507

Long_ago
Yes please.
HB
FlacaProductions
Interested.
914werke
cheer.gif
burton73
Great idea to be safe.

Bob B
56kabrio
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2023, 04:10 PM) *

There has been some interest in a module that would flash the front sidemarker with the turnsignal. The rear running/brake/turnsignal board I did for the 356 using the front turnsignal bucket from a 914 uses the same function to flash the running or brake light when the turnsignal comes on.

The flashing circuit was lifted from the 356 board and placed on this board with some modification. The board will be about 1.6in x 1in and will be enclosed in a small plastic box. The module will replace the wires which go from the front trunk into the rubber wire channel to the sidemarker and turnsignal.

Basically the wires to the turnsignal and sidemarker will be pulled out of the rubber channel and connected to the module. The module will have wires that will be fished into the rubber channel and connected to the sidemarker and turnsignal just like the OEM wiring. The OEM wiring will remain intact keeping with my goal of no cutting/screwing/gluing plug-and-play installation.

@Cairo94507

I am interested!

Thanks

Mack
second wind
This would be a very nice safety modification....please make it happen...!!!! Thank you very much!!!
gg
Cairo94507
Of course I want a set. smile.gif. Thank you Jerry for solving this problem. I am sure you have saved countless 914's from getting hit. beerchug.gif
sb914
Great job once again!
914werke
to clarify will this new board cause the sidemarkers to flash/blink simultaneous with the turn signal indication or alternate (off/on, on/off) like new LED circuits?
Spoke
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 4 2023, 11:51 AM) *

to clarify will this new board cause the sidemarkers to flash/blink simultaneous with the turn signal indication or alternate (off/on, on/off) like new LED circuits?

The sidemarkers will be powered by the turnsignal power so will be in sync with the turnsignals.
Root_Werks
What a neat idea! Almost wish I still had side markers
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2023, 07:10 PM) *

@Cairo94507

ok, i'm in, just wondering where the box with the board will be located?

Phil
Chris H.
I'll take a set.
Spoke
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 5 2023, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 3 2023, 07:10 PM) *

@Cairo94507

ok, i'm in, just wondering where the box with the board will be located?

Phil

It should tuck in right behind the headlights. The box size should be about 1.75x1.0x0.5 inches.

My 914 will be the test bed for installation.
Spoke
BTW looks like I f'ed up the schematic on the first boards. I'll be able to make them work with a couple of mods. 2nd version of the board is almost done.

Without the mods hitting the turnsignals may flash all the running lights on that side of the car. And turning the running lights would light all the turnsignals constant. Oops.
majkos1
popcorn[1].gif
majkos1
popcorn[1].gif
anderssj
Yes please.
StratPlayer
In, indeed
second wind
You build ....I buy !!!!
gg
Spoke
A little Christmas present a bit early. Gotta do some mods on the board and assemble this weekend.

A while back I was chastised by the fab house that if I put 'Made in USA' on the board I might have issues with customs. So I started putting only 'USA' on the board. Every board I do the USA get larger and larger. beer.gif
Cairo94507
Very cool; can't wait to get them. Thanks for keeping our cars safe Jerry. beerchug.gif
Spoke
Assembled the first set of boards. They seem to work fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9VO-ensdqA

Now have to work out more issues such as short circuit protection and maximum loading of the sidemarker.

Jack Standz
OK, looks great!

We will take one set when they're ready, so please put us down for a set. Thank you.
Spoke
OK time to install the flasher module on my 914. My general rule is no cutting/gluing/drilling to install LEDs. So the task at hand is to un-fish the wires to the sidemarker and turnsignal out of the rubber conduits.

This is turning out to be more of chore than I thought would.

First thing is to get to the ends of the wires to disconnect from the light fixtures.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Pulled the sidemarker wires off the socket ok. But the base of the turnsignal bucket came off with the rubber conduit. I see the bottom of the bulb socket looking out. Good thing I have extra light buckets to use.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
All the wires have been pulled out of the conduit. The power spade on the sidemarker pulled off the wire. I had added some wire to the original wires to allow for more movement when I did a refurbish a while back.

The ground wire (brown) has 2 spades on it for the sidemarker and turnsignals. I'll likely just run 2 separate ground wires to keep it simple.

Spoke
This is the power spade pulled off of the sidemarker wire. The plan was to have the OEM spades connect to the module with insulated spades as shown below. However the insulation does not cover the entire exposed metal. I'll need to have some other insulator added to this spade.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
This is the assembly for one side. The module has wires on both sides. One side goes to the vehicle wires pulled out of the conduit and the other side goes to the new wires going in the conduit. The connectors on the vehicle side are female and on the turnsignal side are male so it cannot be reversed.

The spades to the sidemarker do not have insulation like OEM to make it easier to fish through the sidemarker gasket.

Click to view attachment

Spoke
To pull the wires and spades for the sidemarker through the main conduit and sidemarker gasket, a feed wire was taped onto the spades and spades were set one in front of the other. This was the most difficult part of the install.

The spades really resisted going into the sidemarker gasket. I think it would be easier to leave the wire bare and install the spade after pulling the wire through.

Spoke
Sidemarker wires pulled through the main conduit.

Click to view attachment

Put petroleum jelly on the wires and tube of the sidemarker gasket. This still didn't help much. Probably would have helped to heat up the gasket in hot water.

Click to view attachment

The turnsignal wires are pulled easily through the conduit. Ready for final wire attachment.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Wires all connected and tie wrapped. The pigtail wires to the module are 7 inches. I think they can be shortened to about 4 inches.

Click to view attachment

The module and wires tuck nicely behind the headlight motor.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
The module in action. When the turnsignals end notice the turnsignal white running lights and the sidemarker come back on at the same time. They both use the same timing circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SavdNVw14
Cairo94507
Great work Jerry; Merry Christmas. Looking forward to installing mine when ever you ship them. beerchug.gif
Osnabruck914
Not sure why this is being made so complicated. I did this years ago with some wire and wire nuts under the fenders.

Osnabruck914
Cairo94507
Going to take a shot at this.... Jerry is making LED side markers that will flash with the turn signal. Thus the module, extra wiring and the need to pull the stock wires out of the boots and run the new wires. Jerry's goal, as I understand it, is to make LED units which are plug 'n play with no damage to the original parts. He does excellent work and is a valued member of our community. beerchug.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Osnabruck914 @ Dec 25 2023, 01:32 PM) *

Not sure why this is being made so complicated. I did this years ago with some wire and wire nuts under the fenders.

Osnabruck914

Would you please share your solution? There's always a better mouse trap. Yes this is complicated but I couldn't figure out how to flash the sidemarker when it is already on. That means it must be turned off between flashes.
Osnabruck914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 25 2023, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Osnabruck914 @ Dec 25 2023, 01:32 PM) *

Osnabruck914

Would you please share your solution? There's always a better mouse trap. Yes this is complicated but I couldn't figure out how to flash the sidemarker when it is already on. That means it must be turned off between flashes.

It's been a few years, but thought I just shared the power going to the blinker bulb with the side marker bulb. I do remember, the first time I tried to wire it up, it flashed alternately, but switched some wires around and got it simultaneous. Any way here is video proof it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3MytagvpbE

FlacaProductions
Maybe this is the procedure in this thread:
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...rn-signals.html
Spoke
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 25 2023, 11:03 PM) *

Maybe this is the procedure in this thread:
https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...rn-signals.html

@FlacaProductions

agree.gif

This looks like the mod to make the sidemarkers flash with the turnsignals. Although it only works if all bulbs are incandescent.

This is a simplified schematic of the OEM front turnsignal, front sidemarker and rear turnsignal. Front sidemarker is independent of the turnsignal.

Click to view attachment

In the modified solution to blink the sidemarker, the sidemarker ground wire is removed and that pin of the sidemarker is attached to the turnsignal wire.

With running lights off and turnsignal active, the turnsignal input alternates between 12V and zero thus powering the sidemarker through the front and rear running light filaments to ground. The front and rear running light filaments are 5W each while the sidemarker is probably 2-3W. Most of the 12V is dropped across the sidemarker.

With running lights on and turnsignal active, the sidemarker is off when the turnsignal is on and sidemarker on when the turnsignal is off.

This is the same principle behind the foglight relay and high beam headlight. Works well with incandescent but does not work for any LEDs in the circuit.

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Interesting and didn't want to rain on your development parade - but since that mod is only for incandescent bulb, i'm out. LED all the way....eagerly awaiting your boards.
Spoke
The driver side installation went very well. Lessons learned from the passenger side disassembly and reassembly made installation much easier.

After pulling the connectors off the turnsignal and sidemarker, the sidemarker boot was warmed up and with soapy water, the 2 connectors were pulled out without breaking.

To unfish the wires from the turnsignal boot, the end of the boot going to the trunk was pulled out which made finding each wire and pulling them out of the boot much easier.

On reinstall of the sidemarker boot, instead of pre-crimping the spades on the sidemarker wire then trying to fish them in, the wires were fished into the turnsignal boot then sidemarker boot and spades crimped on then.

Click to view attachment

With both boots free of the vehicle, it was simple to fish the new wires into the boots then mount the boots on the vehicle.

Click to view attachment
fixer34
So I got looking at the diagrams and wondering if this will work. Need 2 small relays and 2 diodes. Should be able to mount on a small PCB.

Turn signal feeds thru N/C contact on TR relay, diode prevents backfeed to running lights.
Running light likewise feeds thru RR relay. Also energizes TR relay
When running lights on, and turn signal activated, Flasher pulses the running lights relay, effectively turning them off. So the side marker actually flashes opposite of the front and rear lights.
Minimal stock wiring disruption and should work for incandescent, LED, or a combination.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 3 2024, 10:00 PM) *

So I got looking at the diagrams and wondering if this will work. Need 2 small relays and 2 diodes. Should be able to mount on a small PCB.

Turn signal feeds thru N/C contact on TR relay, diode prevents backfeed to running lights.
When running lights on, and turn signal activated, Flasher pulses the running lights relay, effectively turning them off. So the side marker actually flashes opposite of the front and rear lights.
Minimal stock wiring disruption and should work for incandescent, LED, or a combination.

Click to view attachment

Looks like a cool circuit. Pretty much what I'm doing. I have the steering diodes and instead of relays I'm using FETs although I only have one FET. The FET is controlled by a comparator circuit which monitors the turnsignal and turns the FET off.

The PCB is turning out to be a small part of this assembly. Between having 30 individual wires and 40 spade crimp connectors, assembly of the wires is the most intense process.
fixer34
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 3 2024, 11:11 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jan 3 2024, 10:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks like a cool circuit. Pretty much what I'm doing. I have the steering diodes and instead of relays I'm using FETs although I only have one FET. The FET is controlled by a comparator circuit which monitors the turnsignal and turns the FET off.

The PCB is turning out to be a small part of this assembly. Between having 30 individual wires and 40 spade crimp connectors, assembly of the wires is the most intense process.

Yea, I figured there was a way to do it with modern electronics, I just went 'old school' to see if it would work.
A lot easier to draw out on paper than to integrate into an actual wiring harness.
BillC
@Spoke -- I love the idea, but have a question about the installation. Instead of installing two modules, one at each front corner, what about making a single module that goes under the dash and connects to the switch end(s) of the wiring harness? This seems like it would be a simpler install, since you wouldn't need to pull the wires out of the fenders and rubber conduits/boots, and you could control both sidemarker lights from one box. Basically, it would be putting the new controls at the other end of the wires, instead of at the light-bulb end.
Spoke
QUOTE(BillC @ Jan 4 2024, 12:42 PM) *

@Spoke -- I love the idea, but have a question about the installation. Instead of installing two modules, one at each front corner, what about making a single module that goes under the dash and connects to the switch end(s) of the wiring harness? This seems like it would be a simpler install, since you wouldn't need to pull the wires out of the fenders and rubber conduits/boots, and you could control both sidemarker lights from one box. Basically, it would be putting the new controls at the other end of the wires, instead of at the light-bulb end.

@BillC

Interesting idea. Not sure where the wires would be under the dash or maybe on the fuse panel.

On my '71, the passenger side had 4 wires: turnsignal, running, sidemarker, ground. On the driver side there were only 3 wires: turnsignal, running+sidemarker, ground. So not sure the wires for both front sidemarkers could be found on the fuse panel.

fixer34
QUOTE(BillC @ Jan 4 2024, 11:42 AM) *

I believe the sidemarkers are connected to the front running lights on each side with just a couple 12" (guess) wires, 12v and ground. To have them work independently from the front signals, you would need to disconnect the short 12v ones and run at least 1 wire from under the dash along the existing harness up to each side marker. So you are into the conduits/boots anyway.
In theory there would be less wiring modification since you 'should' be able to add the inputs to the control board right from the source switch as you say. The turn signal/flasher connection is actually quite easy; add spade lugs to fuses 5 and 6 and those are your left/right inputs. Running lights/emergency flasher is another matter. those wires come directly off the flasher. A bit of work to get to that and add a spade lug to the switch, then run that wire down to the control board.
Would require a 'dual' control board since flashing each sidemarker is an independent operation.
Both options would work, one isn't necessarily better/easier than the other. Just depends where you want to put your efforts.
BillC
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 6 2024, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Jan 4 2024, 12:42 PM) *

@BillC

Interesting idea. Not sure where the wires would be under the dash or maybe on the fuse panel.

On my '71, the passenger side had 4 wires: turnsignal, running, sidemarker, ground. On the driver side there were only 3 wires: turnsignal, running+sidemarker, ground. So not sure the wires for both front sidemarkers could be found on the fuse panel.

Oh well, it was a nice idea while it lasted. Once again, outsmarted by those old german engineers.... headbang.gif

Any idea when these new modules will come to market? I'll want to buy a set when I order the front LED boards (already have the rear boards).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.