Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unidentified noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stef914
Hi all,

Lately, an unidentified noise that I used to hear on turns (both left and right) at relatively high speeds - 40mph or more - has significantly increased. Now, I can sometimes even hear it when on straights. The shop ruled out the rear bearings about 6 months ago (though they replaced the front). I uploaded a short video on YouTube, and this is the link:

https://youtube.com/shorts/M4I_bWh1NBw?si=-uT5zvKwzgs6N1Xc

You can clearly hear it at seconds 00:03 and 00:17

Any thoughts or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
sb914
Cv joint ? confused24.gif Usually when turning.
Geezer914
I second checking the CV joints. How many miles on the car?
Stef914
Mmmh a lot , 200k +
jim_hoyland
CV related. You’re gonna have to do some disassembly and inspect each bolt, washer, CV, etc.
Could be just a loose CV, or something else
second wind
I am no mechanical guru like many on this site....but 200,000 miles is a lot of miles.....especially if those are the original CV's......gotta' be the CV's....imho...
gg
rjames
Even if it isn't the CV's, if they are original to the car you need to replace them.
76-914
It's easy to identify which CV but I have no idea when it's both. If you turn to the right while accelerating it's the left side CV and vice versa.
technicalninja
CVs or differential spider gears IMO.

By 200K I'd have re-booted/rebuilt axles 3 times...

I'd drain transmission and inspect gear oil as well.
TX914
I had a similar rattling noise on deceleration that turned out to be a heater control valve rattling against the engine mount bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.