Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 60mm AFR Gauge - "Gauging" Interest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jbell959
As some of you may know, I build an 80mm custom AFR gauge as a clock replacement for 911s and recently someone asked me if it was possible to build a 60mm version. I was able to fit the main board and stepper movement in a 60mm case. This is just a prototype, but it does appear that with a little work, I could make these. It would require a 60mm temp or volt gauge as the donor to get the case, face, and needle. I don't yet have an estimate on the cost, but I wanted to see if there would be any interest before I spend more time on it.

Like all of my other AFR solutions, this gauge would work with most wideband controllers including but not limited to AEM, Innovate, PLX, and 14Point7.

Sorry for the blurry picture!
rjames
Interested!
Montreal914
Nice option! smile.gif popcorn[1].gif

What would be incredibly awesome would be a Cylinder Head Temperature gauge with a nice scale span (250-450F) like the 60mm MBZ outside temperature gauge (picture below). I have been thinking about how one could be transformed to achieve this.

Click to view attachment

Or use a cheap K-type TC reader board that puts out 0-5V and convert that 0-5V into some scale using a VDO movement. confused24.gif
infraredcalvin
Hmmmm interested
technicalninja
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 4 2023, 11:54 AM) *

Nice option! smile.gif popcorn[1].gif

What would be incredibly awesome would be a Cylinder Head Temperature gauge with a nice scale span (250-450F) like the 60mm MBZ outside temperature gauge (picture below). I have been thinking about how one could be transformed to achieve this.

Click to view attachment

Or use a cheap K-type TC reader board that puts out 0-5V and convert that 0-5V into some scale using a VDO movement. confused24.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Yes, I'm a buyer on the AFR gauge and Montreal's idea is kick ass as well. I'm planning on re-doing my center console specifically to include both AFR and CHT.

These would allow me to reuse my existing console plate without any modification at all. Awesome! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

I have already purchased a non-console OP/FL multi gauge (new!) to open space on the center console.

Bet you'd sell the crap out of both of those gauges, and I believe the core gauges needed are not real expensive. Blown up cores should suffice.

It would be way cool to have what appears to be a factory installation of these two gauges...

Just had another thought! I bet the air-cooled 911 crowd would be hot for the CHT gauge as well. beerchug.gif
Montreal914
I bought something like this for less than $15 (thanks to @GregAmy ) to use it with my microsquirt conversion (when I get to it... rolleyes.gif ).

Click to view attachment

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1778?gad_s...uBoCWJwQAvD_BwE

I think there are a few like this around. One would have to ensure it is temperature compensated (which I believe mine is). Now how to convert the 0-5V output in something that can drive a VDO gauge? idea.gif

Clearly the volt gauge uses the 8-16V range but how precisely? Then how to precisely bump up the interesting portion (250-450F) of the 0-5V output into 8-16 V for the VDO Volt Meter. That would be a question for the electronic gurus. smile.gif

Or, is the movement of the typical VDO gauges low voltage, something close to 0-5V? confused24.gif

One thing is sure, a good and precise 60mm CHT gauge with the same design as the other center console gauge would be a high seller. The larger the scale the better (like the MBZ span). Silver dot hand for me please! smile.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Dec 4 2023, 06:45 PM) *
I bought something like this for less than $15...to use it with my microsquirt conversion (when I get to it... rolleyes.gif ).

Yeah, where is that, brother? Get on this, Lewis!

The gauge? I like this idea. A lot.

As a racer...it's hard to correlate throttle, RPM, and load with an AFR gauge and use it as a tool to decide jetting or tuning; you're spending way more time just trying to not drive into something. The best way is data acq to review after, but not all of us have that tool.

I could see using this as a crowbar binary determination that when I'm WOT at 5000 RPM and looking down my AFR is too lean (or fat). And that would work with macro carb tuning. But with EFI it's not fine enough.

But honestly, this is kinda freakin cool for most of us. I'd put one in just 'cause I could. And point to it as I'm driving along.

GA
87m491
It looks very nice but I'd be up for a 60mm oil pressure gauge likely before an AFR gauge.

QUOTE(jbell959 @ Dec 4 2023, 08:42 AM) *

As some of you may know, I build an 80mm custom AFR gauge as a clock replacement for 911s and recently someone asked me if it was possible to build a 60mm version. I was able to fit the main board and stepper movement in a 60mm case. This is just a prototype, but it does appear that with a little work, I could make these. It would require a 60mm temp or volt gauge as the donor to get the case, face, and needle. I don't yet have an estimate on the cost, but I wanted to see if there would be any interest before I spend more time on it.

Like all of my other AFR solutions, this gauge would work with most wideband controllers including but not limited to AEM, Innovate, PLX, and 14Point7.

Sorry for the blurry picture!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.