Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ECU Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
I recently acquired a 993 powered 914 on BaT that was used for SCCA racing. For my needs though, I'm converting it back to a street car. I had a few questions regarding the ecu that I was hoping I could get some help with. In its current location, I'm assuming it's not a good idea to put a back pad on top of it?

I was thinking of relocating it to the rear trunk. I'll have to unplug it to reroute the wires. Do I need to disconnect the battery when I unplug the ecu? Thanks.Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I always disconnect the battery for any electrical work. Cheap insurance.
bye1.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 5 2023, 12:02 AM) *

I always disconnect the battery for any electrical work. Cheap insurance.
bye1.gif

agree.gif
Steve
That ECU is expensive, not worth taking a chance. I mounted my ECU behind the drivers seat against the wall using one of the back pad screws.
Cairo94507
@thunderchief - Nice buy. I would keep the ECU in the interior. I have my 3.2 ECU mounted on the floor under the driver's seat. I like the idea of keeping them out of the environment as much as possible. Definitely disconnect the battery before doing anything with electrical.

Would it be possible for you to post some overall engine pictures from the top and bottom? I know of a few people who are heading down the 3.6 path (me and Steve for sure) and any reference pictures of how it has been done always help. beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
I'd move it between the seats and build a console/storage bin over it.

In the trunk you have to make a hole and fill a hole.
Thunderchief
Those are some really good ideas. I'll post some engine pics for you Cairo
Thunderchief
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 5 2023, 06:42 AM) *

That ECU is expensive, not worth taking a chance. I mounted my ECU behind the drivers seat against the wall using one of the back pad screws.

Do you have a pic of your setup?
ClayPerrine
For the motronic on my 914-6, I put the ECU in the passenger compartment under the foam board. I had to extend the wiring harness to do it, and it was not a good location. It stuck out above the board and was too easy for passengers to put their feet on it.

I would suggest that you put it under the passenger seat. To make enough clearance, you have to put a spacer under the rear of the seat tracks. Otherwise the seat will hit the ecu.

Good luck.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.