Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The making of a Run Stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cassmcentee
Getting ready (and nervous) to break in my first Type 4 build!
Welding up a Run Stand for it.
First had to determine how to get around the headers...Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
Then some cuttin' & weldin'
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
And a bit of paint
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I’ve seen them run on a wood pallet.
cassmcentee
Yup, but I'm 6' 2" and want the carbs up in my face! biggrin.gif
Aerostatwv
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 6 2023, 10:59 PM) *

I’ve seen them run on a wood pallet.

I've done it that way! Worked like a charm.. Although having it at waist level is much better these days...
VaccaRabite
My last one I made on a wheeled cart. It was made so the engine and transmission were together as a unit. And once the engine was run in on the stand, the whole thing could be wheeled under the car for install.

Zach
dstudeba
The view out of your workshop is spectacular!
technicalninja
Exhaust primaries are large.

How big is the motor?

Nice looking engine!
friethmiller
Nice! I'm about to make my 3rd [and final] run cart/dyno. My first two were made of wood but my next one will be metal (like yours). Funny, each time I build one it gets higher and higher off the ground. Here's my last one. Don't laugh too hard, it was only temporary. The one thing that I really liked about this setup was the ability to use my jack cart to take it from the engine stand and wheel it straight into/on my run cart. Did easily without any help. FWIW, here are a few photos.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

fiacra
Cass, the run stand and the motor look awesome! I assume the motor is going into Ruby? tiphat2.gif popcorn[1].gif
cassmcentee
Zach, makes perfect sense, I have a tiny garage to work in so I felt a longer stand would eat up too much space.

dstudeba, thank you, I've been very blessed to live where I do!

Ninja, it's a 2.0+, not sure if I'll run the headers on this car or the next but they look so good I'm going to use them for the break-in.

Friethmiller, thank you for the pics, they ARE helpful!

fiacra, Ruby will get it first, then it might get transfered to another after I rebuild Ruby's!
Thanks Again!
cassmcentee
getting off of the engine stand
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
When this motor comes off I'll need to narrow the Run Stand's front profile as it doesn't sit far enough under the engine hoist
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
Got it Nested, wasn't as smooth as I hoped...
at least it is in place...
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
Click to view attachment
cassmcentee
I trapped one of my slings (shortsided thinking) blink.gif
Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(cassmcentee @ Dec 7 2023, 04:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Lookin good, hope she runs great
cassmcentee
Thanks Cabman!
Amazon delivery of gauges and cables coming in on Monday.
Shooting for end of the next week to try
Lilchopshop
QUOTE(cassmcentee @ Dec 7 2023, 04:29 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Looks great! I applaud the efforts to make a proper stand instead of just plopping the motor on a pallet. That will make the test and break-in process so much more enjoyable.

Also, super jealous of your shop location and shop space. Looks like an awesome place to hang out!
barefoot
Placed his high & with good access you can re-torque head bolts & exhaust header bolts easily. My super simple stand with wood & cinder blocks still allowed me to do this after the cam break-in runs & re-set valve clearance.

Good stuff !!
cassmcentee
Thank you gents, thinking of renting one of these for the first start! biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Red! I like it!

Since the doghouse has been painted red, you are going to want an additional ground from the alternator body to the ground lug under the relay in the 914 engine bay.

I did similar and w/o the extra ground I had JUUUUST enough resistance for the alternator to not produce quite enough energy to charge the battery.

Took a good while to figure it out too!
Zach
cassmcentee
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Dec 7 2023, 11:40 PM) *

Red! I like it!

Since the doghouse has been painted red, you are going to want an additional ground from the alternator body to the ground lug under the relay in the 914 engine bay.

I did similar and w/o the extra ground I had JUUUUST enough resistance for the alternator to not produce quite enough energy to charge the battery.

Took a good while to figure it out too!
Zach

Thank You Zach, I'm sure you just saved me a handful of hair! first.gif
NS914
This was perfect timing as I am currently working through an Oil Pressure issue....I don't have any....but need to get the Engine on a proper foundation to test run once I sort out Oil Pressure....

thinking Oil Pressure may be impacted by Pressure Relief Valves and or the Pump itself...More to come for sure!

Thanks so much for the pictures and ideas!
930cabman
QUOTE(NS914 @ Dec 8 2023, 09:06 AM) *

This was perfect timing as I am currently working through an Oil Pressure issue....I don't have any....but need to get the Engine on a proper foundation to test run once I sort out Oil Pressure....

thinking Oil Pressure may be impacted by Pressure Relief Valves and or the Pump itself...More to come for sure!

The 2056 I am currently running is great all the way around, BUT when it was on my test stand I was not able to get any oil pressure while cranking. After many attempts to get at least some oil pressure and getting none, I disassembled the entire engine to find a small piece of paper towel stuffed in the tube leading to the oil pump. Removed the paper towel and now two years and 8k miles later she runs great.

Sorry slightly off topic,
930cabman
What I have been using in conjunction with a HF scissors lift

Click to view attachment

Doubles as a test stand and rolls under a 914 chassis and we lower the lift. No more laying on a concrete floor. the lift is not recessed.
friethmiller
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 8 2023, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(NS914 @ Dec 8 2023, 09:06 AM) *

The 2056 I am currently running is great all the way around, BUT when it was on my test stand I was not able to get any oil pressure while cranking. After many attempts to get at least some oil pressure and getting none, I disassembled the entire engine to find a small piece of paper towel stuffed in the tube leading to the oil pump. Removed the paper towel and now two years and 8k miles later she runs great.

Sorry slightly off topic,

agree.gif with making sure your engine is good before installing. It is so much easier and less expensive to fix it on the test stand before it goes in and blows up! She can't leave you stranded on the test stand!
GBX0073
Lots of value with Running the engine before a install
Been thinking about this box
https://zalexindustries.com/product/engine-...and-control-box

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
This is my portable test stand in operation.
Small utility trailer with a mounted VW bellhousing & starter, gas tank, battery, coil, and operating control panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0kooro6gE?si=1U4IxjfTj-DlFpKV
barefoot
QUOTE(GBX0073 @ Dec 8 2023, 12:58 PM) *

Lots of value with Running the engine before a install
Been thinking about this box
https://zalexindustries.com/product/engine-...and-control-box

Click to view attachment

Save your money, all you need is a on-off switch for ignition & a push button one for the starter. $20 should cover you easily.

burton73
Mark Sonners start up on Georges down and dirty wood pallet stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxArcFBDGGQ

Bob B

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.