Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to open a locked trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
How do you open a locked or stuck rear trunk? I know I saw some thread about this on here before. Also how do you search for this stuff? I put it into the search bar and I get everything but what I want.

Thanks,
emerygt350
QUOTE(TonyA @ Dec 7 2023, 12:49 PM) *

How do you open a locked or stuck rear trunk? I know I saw some thread about this on here before. Also how do you search for this stuff? I put it into the search bar and I get everything but what I want.

Thanks,

Google search works better, just put 914world.com in the search

Did you try pushing down on the trunk while pushing the button?

I think the normal route if it is locked is a super long extension through the engine bay to take out the 2 10 mm bolts that hold the latch.

rick 918-S
Open the engine lid, Carefully remove one of the hing bolts. Let the lid rise up on the hinge side. Make a long extension and unbolt the catch. Scary but it works.
anderssj
agree.gif Scary

agree.gif It works

IIRC I removed the two of the bolts that hold the trunk lid to the hinge. I think I did the driver side, though removing the battery on the passenger side may give you more room to work (the two bolts on the driver side are shown with the trunk lid open):

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately, because the rear trunk is closed, you will have to remove those bolts through the engine compartment (forward bolt shown, the other is back towards rear of car):

Click to view attachment

You will likely have to remove the drain hose and other stuff that will be in the way. Also, I think I had to use an open end wrench on those bolts instead of a ratchet. You may have better luck than I did.

Once the two bolts are out you can GENTLY raise that corner of the trunk a couple of inches, and using a LONG extension that you've cobbled together, remove the bolts holding the lock base in place. You'll need some kind of a light to see what you're doing too.

DO NOT open the trunk lid yet! Reattach the trunk lid to the hinge first! Don't ask me how I know....

Click to view attachment

technicalninja
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 7 2023, 12:15 PM) *

Open the engine lid, Carefully remove one of the hing bolts. Let the lid rise up on the hinge side. Make a long extension and unbolt the catch. Scary but it works.

Thanks for that tip!
Now a stuck trunk will take less than 5 minutes to open for me!
rhodyguy
Duct tape the extensions together. the socket too. If the extensions fall apart, they are locked in the trunk.
technicalninja
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 7 2023, 12:31 PM) *

Duct tape the extensions together. the socket too. If the extensions fall apart, they are locked in the trunk.

agree.gif

Ha! Sounds like you've been there too!

"Important safety tip"
TonyA
Thanks all I'll try tomorrow
rjames
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 7 2023, 10:31 AM) *

I still have the 'tool' I made out of 2 pieces of metal rod duct taped together to unlock the trunk from within the engine compartment shortly after I bought the car and the remote solenoid that the DAPO installed failed.
BR9
You can read about my same adventure. I went the drill out the lock method.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=363498&hl=

QUOTE(TonyA @ Dec 7 2023, 12:49 PM) *

Thanks,

ejm
Push the plastic cups for the top latches into the trunk and work thru there. Flashlight on one side and taped extensions on the other.
anderssj
QUOTE(ejm @ Dec 7 2023, 10:19 PM) *

Push the plastic cups for the top latches into the trunk and work thru there. Flashlight on one side and taped extensions on the other.

Brilliant!

Where were you and the 914world 20 years ago?!!? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.