Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How it all started
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
My Dad built this racer when I was 11 years old. Followed in his footsteps loving cars ever since. That was 64 years ago!Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Spoke
Nice.
Loved my Dad. Taught me everything.
Loved being a Dad.
Love being a Granddad.
Shivers
Click to view attachment

I had a Chevy Jr. , not as cool looking as yours but it did help me learn to drive. To my Dads chagrin I did a deal and brought it home. He got over it
hndyhrr
It started for me with my oldest daughter. She wanted a 914 for her second car. Her Dad told her get a pic tape to the mirror so you see it everyday and it will find you. Well sure enough she found one about 9 months later. It needed a pass. side quarter panel. lol
We called it the car of many colors. Her dad and I got the quarter panel from the junkyard. (Not easy in 1986) got it put on by a body shop. (never one of us welded and I still don't) Time goes by and she decides to move to Colorado with boyfriend (now husband) Tells me mom here's the keys to the car of many colors it's yours now. biggrin.gif Learned how to work on it the hard way of trying to find manuals and such. Since then 914's have been in my life. Currently have a 70 (aka the pumpkin) I do most of the work on her. As it is really not fun rolling on the ground anymore I farm some of it out to my local VW guy who knows about these.

driving-girl.gif
bkrantz
By profession and inclination my dad was a carpenter who also loved boats. Our first father-son project was a lightweight hydroplane. We built it his way, with all the right materials and hardware. And he let me use his prized Evinrude. The photo is the only one I have, with me about 13 years old and only my dad's arm.

He did encourage my car dreams a few years later, and helped me rebuild a lightly wrecked Fiat Spider picked from an insurance salvage yard.

Now my son has his first big car project, building a track car from a MR2 carcass, and I get to help.
930cabman
Lucky guys, my dad could not use a screwdriver, really. I got it from my mom's parents, I can fix anything. Two grandsons, age's 7 and 5, I am grooming them to follow papa. As their mothers allow, I give them tools and hopefully they will be hanging in the car shop with papa.
porschetub
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 9 2023, 10:57 AM) *

Lucky guys, my dad could not use a screwdriver, really. I got it from my mom's parents, I can fix anything. Two grandsons, age's 7 and 5, I am grooming them to follow papa. As their mothers allow, I give them tools and hopefully they will be hanging in the car shop with papa.

My Dad was useless and used to wait till I got home from sea and on the first leave day home he would ring up and say his car was broken ,really not a good time everytime really.
As a class 1 marine engineer I was real keen to teach my son skills in engineering as he spent too much time inside on his computer and I needed to change that, then wife (now passed on) said start a project with him would be great so we built a scrapyard mini offroad buggy and he learned so much so guickly ,man I was a proud dad ? .
The project went on and developed further to better power and handling and it when from slow to fast as he got older .
He at 28yrs old now works on his own MTB ,scooter and his late GTI Golf ,got his degree in IT and still thanks me for my help but he was a natural and it was fun together.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.