Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NARP No Longer:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
I guess they are real Porsches after all!

Was driving back from the beach over Malibu Canyon earlier today when I saw what looked like a 993 Wide Body coming the other way. Got the headlight flashing and an enthusiastic thumbs up! Only it wasn’t a 993, it was a 959!!!

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Dec 10 2023, 04:03 PM) *

I guess they are real Porsches after all!

Was driving back from the beach over Malibu Canyon earlier today when I saw what looked like a 993 Wide Body coming the other way. Got the headlight flashing and an enthusiastic thumbs up! Only it wasn’t a 993, it was a 959!!!

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

smile.gif

Any chance that 959 was black on tan?
914_7T3
Looked Olive Green

driving.gif
Superhawk996
Maybe It was Bill Gates happy11.gif

For anyone that doesn’t know the story of his 959 getting impounded by customs it’s an interesting tale.
Superhawk996
Personally - I think Your car looks nicer than a 959! The 959 styling hasn’t aged well IMHO.

@914_7T3

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Dec 10 2023, 04:06 PM) *

Looked Olive Green

driving.gif

So there's a 959 owner in LA who has a black 959 and a 914 hot rod in Marathon Blue like your car, and thus I wondered. Either way, super cool...
Cairo94507
@914_7T3 Your car looks great. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 10 2023, 07:51 PM) *

For anyone that doesn’t know the story of his 959 getting impounded by customs it’s an interesting tale.

I was at Sonoma Raceway in 1989, attending the Bondurant racing school. During lunch we were in the office and some guy drove up in what I swear was a 959 and started talking to some of the instructors...except I knew the 959 was not allowed into the country, so I figured it was just an add-on body kit on a 911.

As the guy was conversing I stepped outside and looked the car over...man, that was a nicely-done nice kit! I looked under the car...and was surprised to see it was all wheel drive. I looked closer and saw that it had an odd-looking engine, was that water jackets? And now I started to wonder even more...

I stood there stunned, admiring the car, and then started walking back to the office and the car owner passed me by with a wink, got in his car, and drove away. It sounded glorious as he gunned it up the road. My stunned look when I walked back into the office musta been obvious because one of the instructors stepped up to me and said, "that car was never here" and walked away. And no one spoke of it again.

What just happened?

I got home to Texas later that month and told my friends that I swore I saw a real, honest-to-God Porsche 959, The Unobtainable of unobtainable cars. Which of course they didn't believe because we all knew that the 959 was not imported into the USA so what I saw was clearly a really nice add-on body kit on a 911. But I was convinced and just dealt with the resultant ridicule of my stubborn certainty.

A month or so later, Autoweek broke a story that Bill Gates (and his Microsoft partner, Paul Allen) had imported 959s which were hidden in a secret warehouse in San Francisco.

To this day, I'm betting my bottom dollar that what I saw during lunch at Sonoma Raceway was Paul Allen (I think I would have recognized Bill Gates) having snuck his Porsche 959 out for a nice Bay Area afternoon drive.

And I took that newspaper rag and stuck it in the face of anyone that had doubted me.

GA

Postscript: in the early 90s, both 959s were discovered and impounded by US Customs. Efforts to recover the cars led Gates' attorneys and lobbyists getting approved the 25-year "Show or Display" amendment, signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1998.
914_7T3
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 10 2023, 05:49 PM) *

Looked Olive Green

driving.gif

So there's a 959 owner in LA who has a black 959 and a 914 hot rod in Marathon Blue like your car, and thus I wondered. Either way, super cool...

@horizontally-opposed

This one?

Click to view attachment
Justinp71
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 10 2023, 04:54 PM) *

Personally - I think Your car looks nicer than a 959! The 959 styling hasn’t aged well IMHO.

@914_7T3

I agree. I saw a whole fleet of the 959s at rennsport, cool but not aged super well. I am starting to think similar to the 993. Some of them look good and some just look goofy, some sort of old car/ new car hybrid.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Dec 11 2023, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 10 2023, 05:49 PM) *

Looked Olive Green

driving.gif

@horizontally-opposed

This one?

Click to view attachment

Yep, that's the one!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Dec 11 2023, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 10 2023, 07:51 PM) *

I was at Sonoma Raceway in 1989, attending the Bondurant racing school. During lunch we were in the office and some guy drove up in what I swear was a 959 and started talking to some of the instructors...except I knew the 959 was not allowed into the country, so I figured it was just an add-on body kit on a 911.

As the guy was conversing I stepped outside and looked the car over...man, that was a nicely-done nice kit! I looked under the car...and was surprised to see it was all wheel drive. I looked closer and saw that it had an odd-looking engine, was that water jackets? And now I started to wonder even more...

I stood there stunned, admiring the car, and then started walking back to the office and the car owner passed me by with a wink, got in his car, and drove away. It sounded glorious as he gunned it up the road. My stunned look when I walked back into the office musta been obvious because one of the instructors stepped up to me and said, "that car was never here" and walked away. And no one spoke of it again.

What just happened?

I got home to Texas later that month and told my friends that I swore I saw a real, honest-to-God Porsche 959, The Unobtainable of unobtainable cars. Which of course they didn't believe because we all knew that the 959 was not imported into the USA so what I saw was clearly a really nice add-on body kit on a 911. But I was convinced and just dealt with the resultant ridicule of my stubborn certainty.

A month or so later, Autoweek broke a story that Bill Gates (and his Microsoft partner, Paul Allen) had imported 959s which were hidden in a secret warehouse in San Francisco.

To this day, I'm betting my bottom dollar that what I saw during lunch at Sonoma Raceway was Paul Allen (I think I would have recognized Bill Gates) having snuck his Porsche 959 out for a nice Bay Area afternoon drive.

And I took that newspaper rag and stuck it in the face of anyone that had doubted me.

GA

Postscript: in the early 90s, both 959s were discovered and impounded by US Customs. Efforts to recover the cars led Gates' attorneys and lobbyists getting approved the 25-year "Show or Display" amendment, signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1998.

Great story! Was the car silver?

I saw a 959 (but was it a kit??) going over the Golden Gate Bridge one day and was below away—even if the glimpse was fleeting, it sure looked like the real thing where the kits were fairly obvious.

Fast forward some years, and I heard a friend mention a silver 959 parked at a very well known Porsche shop one day. He said it was definitely the real thing, but with Taco Bell wrappers strewn all over the footwell. Too cool.

Fast forward some more years, and a (much older) friend in SF who was kind of a car guy told me about an acquaintance of his, who lived in Presidio Heights, near some of the embassies…who had a silver 959 and drove it fairly regularly. I'll leave his name out here (I only know his last name), but he apparently brought the car in on a yacht (!) and was later confronted with a threat from Customs…that he had an answer for (leverage of some kind). He kept the car, and was able to drive it. To this day, I'd love to complete the loop on that story, and probably know a few folks who can help me do it.

I wonder if this is the car you saw? As I understood it, the Gates and Allen cars never got out of the port (until they did under Show and Display), but were regularly visited and maintained there. There were some others that got in here and there (Otis Chandler's Guards Red 959, for display only, as an example), but the "flood" only came after Show and Display came into effect.
GregAmy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 11 2023, 08:56 PM) *

Great story! Was the car silver?

Yup.

I wonder if this is the car you saw?

In 1989 (August, I think)? Prior to that weekend, no one was aware of any 959 in the country. It was only when the Autoweek story broke a month or so later that we were told that Gates and Allen each had one at an SF port warehouse, hiding it from Customs.

As I understood it, the Gates and Allen cars never got out of the port (until they did under Show and Display)...

Which was probably why I was told "that car was never here"... - GA
campbellcj
I've been noticeably getting more waves and thumbs-up when I do my short "Italian tune up" drives around the area here. A few weekends ago a guy on a motorcycle trailed me for a bit then rolled-up next to me at a stoplight to high-five and chat a bit, seemed a big 914 fan.

I think it's a combination of nostalgia factor for the less-young folks and the "what the heck is it" factor for the younger people.
NARP74
I get a lot of kids at fast food drive thrus ask about mine. The thing they love the most is the pop up head lights. They all ask if they work.
KSCarrera
Wayne Dempsey's (Pelican Parts) 959 is black and he's a big 914 fan...
Justinp71
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 12 2023, 05:59 AM) *

I've been noticeably getting more waves and thumbs-up when I do my short "Italian tune up" drives around the area here. A few weekends ago a guy on a motorcycle trailed me for a bit then rolled-up next to me at a stoplight to high-five and chat a bit, seemed a big 914 fan.

I think it's a combination of nostalgia factor for the less-young folks and the "what the heck is it" factor for the younger people.

Yes I agree, I had a delivery driver talk to me at a stoplight and also a kid working the gas station both very interested but had no idea what they were looking at biggrin.gif
euro911
Jerry Seinfeld own a 'real' 959 ... got to see it close up at a friend's shop, along with his 914/6, an RSK and his '49 Gmund several years ago.

Must be nice to have lots of munny from being funny laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.