Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake pedal plunger/brake light adjustment trick?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
So just asking if there is a good trick to adjusting the brake plunger/brake light switch on the pedal cluster? Somehow after cleaning the pedal cluster the washer on the plunger pin seems a bit off relative to the brake light switch....please do tell? Thank you very much!!
gg
second wind
Come on you guys.....share the love!! Do tell what the correct methodology is to get this right? Thank you very much!!
gg
Superhawk996
Pic?

There is an adjustment on the pushrod.

Is lever not hitting the washer at all?

Click to view attachment
87m491
IIRC there really is no adjustment for the washer. It sits flush against the pedal boss and is held there by the master cylinder rod lock nut. Did you put the switch lever on the proper side of the washer? Intuition says put it behind. In reality it goes in front.

QUOTE(second wind @ Dec 11 2023, 06:23 PM) *

Cyome on you guys.....share the love!! Do tell what the correct methodology is to get this right? Thank you very much!!
gg

second wind
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 11 2023, 06:41 PM) *

Pic?

There is an adjustment on the pushrod.

Is lever not hitting the washer at all?

Click to view attachment

This picture helps....thank you very much...I will report back with picture....
gg
Superhawk996
QUOTE(87m491 @ Dec 11 2023, 10:41 PM) *

IIRC there really is no adjustment for the washer.

My bad you are correct - the position at which the brake lamps turn on is adjusted on the switch. Been a long time since I’ve adjusted one.

Procedure to adjust the switch is in Haynes manual p129 section 30
Click to view attachment
fiacra
As Peter pointed out the adjustment is on the switch. In my experience it is just easier to take the switch off, make the adjustment and then put it back on. You usually have a good idea of how much adjustment is needed so I haven't found that I'm taking it off and putting it back on more than once. One thing to mention is that sometimes someone has tried to adjust this by bending the lever arm and you might have to straighten it out again to fix that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.