Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil filter puzzler - looking for correct filter 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Hello,
Bought a newish to me 914 with 3.0 liter engine with an oil tank installed. Tank custom stainless from Ben M. He wasn't the supplier for the oil filter base plate.
Can't figure out what oil filter fits the oil filter plate that's mounted on the tank.
An OC28 filter has the right 17mm threads but the filter is too small capacity wise. The base size of that filter looks correct. I need the larger (longer)filter.
Tried OC 54 filter but the tread size was incorrect.

Any clue what OC filter is correct? Of course I don't know who manufactured the filter plate that mounts on the tank. I called pelican but they don't have thread size specs for the oil filters. Usually they have all the answers to esoteric questions.

Ok experts!!! Any ideas here?

Thanks, Todd
mskala
Recent thread on this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=366423&hl=
porschetub
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Dec 14 2023, 06:19 AM) *

Hello,
Bought a newish to me 914 with 3.0 liter engine with an oil tank installed. Tank custom stainless from Ben M. He wasn't the supplier for the oil filter base plate.
Can't figure out what oil filter fits the oil filter plate that's mounted on the tank.
An OC28 filter has the right 17mm threads but the filter is too small capacity wise. The base size of that filter looks correct. I need the larger (longer)filter.
Tried OC 54 filter but the tread size was incorrect.

Any clue what OC filter is correct? Of course I don't know who manufactured the filter plate that mounts on the tank. I called pelican but they don't have thread size specs for the oil filters. Usually they have all the answers to esoteric questions.

Ok experts!!! Any ideas here?

Thanks, Todd

I went for the larger capacity filter think it was an OC 61 but can't read the number on mine cause its on the bottom as mounted but my spare is that number.
Pretty sure OC 28 is T4 and yes too small , I bought all spare filters a while back but someone mentioned on here there have been superceded numbers with Mahle.
Had a quick look on Pelican and they say the OC 61 as fitting 3.0 SC .
Cheers and good luck.
roundtwo
Thanks for the clues.

It’s the filter for a base like the one picture but with a 17 mm thread not a 22 mm thread.

Apparently, this consul bracket is available in different sized threads that accept the filter. It doesn’t have to do with the engine size/ year / model of the car - it has to do with this consul that’s mounted on the oil tank reservoir.

Click to view attachment

Just need the 17 mm vs the 22 mm pictured. Patrick Motorsports sells just this one.

Still looking for the bread crumb trail.
fixer34
Maybe go back to Ben (mb911) and get one of his console adapters. Should fit if it's his tank. He was selling a kit with the console and OC-54 Made in Austria filter a while back. Get the bigger/correct one and you don't have to chase around looking for filters.
930cabman
The filter console I have came with an OC54
mb911
Oc54 for most aftermarket consoles
roundtwo
Thanks for all the help
Anyone know the thread size for an OC 54?

I reached out to Ben, and as he mentioned the previous owner could’ve purchased a number of different oil filter mount bases.

At least I can order an OC 54 and check it again but I’m almost certain the threads are too small. Need 17mm

The OC 28 has the right thread size but the filter canister itself is too short. The base / diameter is the correct size.
roundtwo
OK, I think we figured it out. It looks like it’s OC 61.

It’s so odd that has a three-quarter inch threads with every other spec in millimeters

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thanks for all the clues!
roundtwo
Btw..

OC 54 has a 1 inch connecting thread size

After some web fishing….Great website I found for checking filter/ parts specs

Autofocus.co.um/spare
mb911
Stock 914-6 is stock 911 up to 72. They went to the OC54 the following year. There are some aftermarket filter consoles out there with the smaller earlier thread but I purposely made my consoles accept oc54 filters as they are better and more common.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.