lalee914
Is that you driving George?
Steve
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 14 2023, 11:19 AM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

It looks like it has York AC on it...

Factory AC?

I wouldn't have expected that.

There was never a 914 with factory AC. They were all installed by the dealership including this one. I think Brumos installed it.
NARP74
916s never made it to dealers did they? So factory air, or installed a kit at the factory?
Steve
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 14 2023, 01:15 PM) *

916s never made it to dealers did they? So factory air, or installed a kit at the factory?

I looked it up. This 916 was imported by Peter Gregg at Brumos and they installed the AC at Brumos. George at Auto Atlanta bought the car later. The AC is the same aftermarket VPC that was installed on 914-4's here in the US, except for the 911 engine mounted AC compressor.
NARP74
Well there you go, that answers it. I guess if anyone stateside was going to get one it would be Brumos.
technicalninja
I thought someone would complain regarding the "Factory AC system".

Steve, I am aware that the factory installed none. What I should have said is "period correct" and you are right Sir! smilie_pokal.gif

I also was not aware that Porsche actually sold 916s...

I thought they were all "prototypes" and not sold outright.

Learn new stuff everyday...
technicalninja
Wow, this means Brumos CUT into a real 916...

No freaking way I'd do that!!!!

I'd worry about you guys lynching me. ar15.gif ar15.gif

One of my customers has a Bloomington Gold level 63 split-window Vette.

His wife bitches about the "stink" in their garage.

He wanted to explore the idea of adding evaporative emissions control to the car.

Charcoal canister/purge valve BS...

My advice was "Build a detached garage as the stink is part of the experience and the car is too prefect to mod..."

That was with a much more common car than a 916.
Steve
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 14 2023, 03:25 PM) *

Wow, this means Brumos CUT into a real 916...

No freaking way I'd do that!!!!

I'd worry about you guys lynching me. ar15.gif ar15.gif

One of my customers has a Bloomington Gold level 63 split-window Vette.

His wife bitches about the "stink" in their garage.

He wanted to explore the idea of adding evaporative emissions control to the car.

Charcoal canister/purge valve BS...

My advice was "Build a detached garage as the stink is part of the experience and the car is too prefect to mod..."

That was with a much more common car than a 916.

George would know more, but the 916 was close to becoming a production car. The 916 was to be announced at a major auto show, but was pulled by the bean counters at Porsche. Your right, normally they crush prototypes. All 11 prototypes were either sold or ended up with Porsche family members (Brutus). AFAIK the 916 was sent to Brumos to address the american market. It was the only one with the US warts on the side. The price for the 916 back in 1972 was supposed to be $16,000? USD. Same price as a Ferrari Dino at the time. Brumos thought for such an expensive car it should have AC. Porsche also made lots of spare parts for the 916. I heard after the project was cancelled, there was 40 915/916 kits floating around in the early 70's. I heard Marty at MSDS bought one or two as well as some other guys used them in So Cal for their 3.6 cars. The original 915/916 factory kit has a mechanical speedo and the built in pump in the nose cone. I have the Martin Bott 915/916 replica in my 914. Shifts great and its nice to have the correct gearing for my 3.2.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Dec 14 2023, 01:48 PM) *

Is that you driving George?

yes
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes vpc air conditioning, installed at Brumos

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 14 2023, 12:19 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

It looks like it has York AC on it...

Factory AC?

I wouldn't have expected that.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
the very very worst thing about the AC is that they had to cut a hole in the back wall to clear the york piston compressor resulting in a round cover over the hole they cut and limited travel for the drivers seat!!!!!! NO six footer would be comfortable in Peter Gregg's 916!
cdn914
Can’t help but love this 916. I hope I can get down there to see it one day.
Root_Werks
I remember an article where the Dr. compared the 916 to a 3.2 (I think it was a 3.2?) converted six with flares. I really liked the write-up showing how much the 916 was truly a pre-production car. Would be really neat to see a good video of a 916 up on a rack, driving impressions etc.

Nice pictures!
Steve
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 15 2023, 11:47 AM) *

I remember an article where the Dr. compared the 916 to a 3.2 (I think it was a 3.2?) converted six with flares. I really liked the write-up showing how much the 916 was truly a pre-production car. Would be really neat to see a good video of a 916 up on a rack, driving impressions etc.

Nice pictures!

I crawled around Brutus and another 916 at the local Luftkekuht. The 916 trans, heat exchangers and welded roof are the biggest differences. Curious what size the heat exchanger's were and how many did they make?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
buck toenges
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 15 2023, 02:47 PM) *

Nice pictures!

Can you find that article on the web? I would love to read it.

Buck
JmuRiz
Wild heat exchanger on that side, for sure:
https://pbase.com/9146gt/factory_9146gt_par...ers_916_exhaust
rgalla9146

That heat exchanger is for a 916.
The extra chamber is to provide warm air to the mechanical fuel injection thermostat.
I think the standard 914 6 tubing was adequate for engines up to 2.7
mb911
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 17 2023, 04:37 AM) *

That heat exchanger is for a 916.
The extra chamber is to provide warm air to the mechanical fuel injection thermostat.
I think the standard 914 6 tubing was adequate for engines up to 2.7

Correct
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.