Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiper motor early vs late style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I have what I think is an early wiper motor and linkage that is out of the car. It has a motor that is smaller in diameter and is flat on the end vs larger around and rounded on the end like the later motors. It also has a wiring pigtail vs the bare terminals on the late style. My question is: was there more than one early style wiper motor & linkage, and if so, what distinquishes one from the other?

Also, what terminals would you connect a battery to in order to see if an early or late style wiper motor worked?
914rrr
Anybody? How about suggestions on where to find this info?
SirAndy
i never noticed any differences in the motors, but i honestly never paid much attention to it either ...

i did, however, replace my main wiring harness with a harness from a '73 car and had no problems connecting it to my old ('70) wiper motor ...
wink.gif Andy
McMark
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I'd like to see the early one please. wink.gif
michelko
Maybe it´s the six version, they where different inside and outside.
If you have a pic i can tell you.

smilie_flagge6.gif
michelko
does it look like this?

its the six version
thesey914
I was just removing this ready for painting.
It must be a later style motor/linkage -no pigtail plus big motor...

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
914rrr
One clue I did find was a reference in the Haynes manual to the wiper blade measurement. It listed a different measurement for pre-Novemeber 1971 wiper blades vs. post-November 1971 wiper blades. So I'm gussing that the linkage (and the motor) was different on the 70-72 914's. I don't have the 'early' one to look at anymore, as a guy bought it plus a bunch of early 914 body parts. The motor housing on 'early' one I had seemed like it was rolled/formed sheetmetal, whereas the motor housing on the "6" version pictured looked more like it was machined.

The 'later' version pictured is identical to the ones I have. I'm trying to find a good way to bench test the 'late' motors. I tried hooking up a motorcycle size 12v battery to it, but all terminals I tried on the + side were sparking like shorts. Do some of the terminals need to be jumpered or something?

Thanks to all for the pics.
thesey914
Put your earth on this screw and then positive to any of the terminals

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.