Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So this is Christmas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Front yard mechanic
My daughter calls me and says dad your car is running like crap it’s bucking and sputtering. I just filled up at Costco and they have the gas pumps decorated for Christmas. You know red and green I used the green one. What should we do?
Jett
smile.gif it happens
GregAmy
Ugh. Well, at least it's an easy fix.

(I mean, didn't she smell the difference...?)
DennisV
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 17 2023, 06:36 AM) *

My daughter calls me and says dad your car is running like crap it’s bucking and sputtering. I just filled up at Costco and they have the gas pumps decorated for Christmas. You know red and green I used the green one. What should we do?

lol-2.gif
That sounds like a scene out of a movie...
Shivers
lol. God love em, some of those life lessons are tough. I use diesel oil as a solvent and it has not hurt anything. Should be ok
GregAmy
Yeah, as long as the engine wasn't in a hard load for a long time, it should be OK.

Gasoline aviation engines are badly ruined when mis-filled with Jet-A, but those are run hard and strong on takeoff. And when the engine starts to misfire the last thing the pilot is going to do is pull back the power as he tries to get back to the field (my attitude was always, "I just sold the damned thing to the insurance company. Let's get home safely.")

"What effect does Jet-A contamination have on a piston engine? Enough to ruin your day.You can think of Jet A as being fuel with a zero octane rating. Any piston engine that tries to run on pure Jet A will go into instant destructive detonation. However, in real life, we almost never encounter that situation because the tanks (at least the main tank used for takeoff) is almost never completely dry when the aircraft is misfueled.Therefore, the real-world problem is not running on pure Jet A, but on running on a mixture of 100LL and Jet A. Depending on the mixture-ratio of the two fuels, the effective octane rating can be anything between 0 and 100. A mixture with a lot of Jet A and just a little 100LL might be detectable during runup. A 50-50 mix might not start to detonate until full power is applied, and the engine might fail 30 seconds or three minutes after takeoff. Just a little Jet A contamination might produce only moderate detonation that might not be noticed for hours or even weeks. Like so many other things in aviation, 'It all depends.'"

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/the-savvy-a...r-60-misfueled/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.