Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting Carbs to Djet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I've been scavenging Fuel Injection parts of the past couple of years for my 73 2.0 and now that I have a good understanding of carbs and my car is running perfectly, lets toss those for now and attempt to make it stock again.
I know not everyone will agree with this, but this is something I want to try because I'm curious and have the time and parts. If it doesnt work, I'lll put the carburetors back on.

This is my stockpile, some misc (boots etc) not shown. I have duplicates of many items so that should work in my favor:
Click to view attachment

I have two sets of intake runners. One set appears to be from a 1.7. The other 2.0 (not pictured) has a stud broken off that holds on the fuel injector. Is this fixable? Anyone want to trade a 2.0 runner for two 1.7s or have an extra?
Click to view attachment

I assume first things first, I need to do some testing, probably the fuel pump and injectors. Maybe also get some stainless steel tunnel lines. Also look at the wiring harness...
Any suggestions or feedback welcome. I'm going down a rabbit hole here and have a large learning curve ahead of me. I understand it may be a miracle if I get this working at some point.

JeffBowlsby
Not that hard just be methodical. List the PNs of the ECUs and MPSs that you have. Test the function of each item. Send the injectors out for testing/cleaning. You will need the FI harness to be functional
cgnj
@ericoneal

Since one already has a broken stud, double nut the other, Kroil or something similar and give it a go. It's already broken. I have about 6 of these @ the garage but won't be going till Wednesday. I can test it after I do the brake on my TL. Let me know what happens so I don't replicate your work.

I see you're in Crestwood KY. In 1978 my first year out of the service, I did a project for GTEin Kentucky & WVA. I went to at least 30 small to tiny towns In Appalachia. It was fun & exciting. It introduced me to America's little piece of the Third World.

Regards

Carlos
ericoneal
It broke off flush. If I can drill it out, maybe I can drop in a new stud?
Probably just buy another one if I can.
BTW I also have a TL and just did the brakes on it.

QUOTE(cgnj @ Dec 17 2023, 10:22 PM) *

@ericoneal

Since one already has a broken stud, double nut the other, Kroil or something similar and give it a go. It's already broken. I have about 6 of these @ the garage but won't be going till Wednesday. I can test it after I do the brake on my TL. Let me know what happens so I don't replicate your work.

Regards

Carlos

cgnj
@ericoneal

You broke off the intact stud? If not try that one. I just looked at one I have in the garage. 99% sure it is a stud that can be extracted.

If you just want to swap & pay for two way shipping I'd be happy to accommodate you.

Regards,

Carlos
ericoneal
Yes please. Let me know how much shipping is and I will take you up on that.

QUOTE(cgnj @ Dec 17 2023, 10:45 PM) *

@ericoneal

You broke off the intact stud? If not try that one. I just looked at one I have in the garage. 99% sure it is a stud that can be extracted.

If you just want to swap & pay for two way shipping I'd be happy to accommodate you.

Regards,

Carlos

930cabman
Great project, where will you be sending the components to for testing? Ecu, sensors, ...

Please continue to post as I am considering the same
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you are doing the right thing, and if the camshaft in the engine is stock you will be THRILLED with the results! Instant off the line performance, great fuel economy, great reliability, increase the value of your 914 AND the engine will be quieter and last longer
friethmiller
Nice! I'll be following along. I plan to do this on my LE in a year or two.
930cabman
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 18 2023, 12:01 PM) *

you are doing the right thing, and if the camshaft in the engine is stock you will be THRILLED with the results! Instant off the line performance, great fuel economy, great reliability, increase the value of your 914 AND the engine will be quieter and last longer

Sounds like a no brainer, from the good doctor
ericoneal
Yes he makes valid points. The engine was rebuilt shortly after I bought the car 10 years ago, when it was fuel injected, so I'm anxious to see the difference.
Not sure where to send anything out for testing yet, I'd like to do alot of that myself if possible, but I assume and rebuilds (ie fuel injectors) will need to go to the usual suspects around here.
I'd like to get opinions on rebuild of injectors vs. just buying new ones that are compatible.

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 18 2023, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 18 2023, 12:01 PM) *

Sounds like a no brainer, from the good doctor

Lockwodo
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 18 2023, 08:51 AM) *

Great project, where will you be sending the components to for testing? Ecu, sensors, ...

Please continue to post as I am considering the same

Most of the DJet components you can test/verify yourself or just replace them (for example, vacuum tubing) to ensure they are up to snuff. I found this resource from the Jeff Bowlsby website to be very useful:

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man06.pdf

Testing the ECU would take specialized equipment, but apparently they seldom fail.
ericoneal
I've heard that as well, and I have two of them. biggrin.gif
Karl R
I spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours chasing Djet problems. They were all in the harness. If you can afford to go with a fresh harness do it.
thomasotten
I converted one back recently. If your distributor is in question, pair it with a 123 distributor, and it will be a very nice system. But.... you have to keep it away from mechanics who don't understand it. They will simply slab a single barrel carb on it again. sad.gif
Dlee6205
QUOTE(Karl R @ Dec 18 2023, 04:09 PM) *

I spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours chasing Djet problems. They were all in the harness. If you can afford to go with a fresh harness do it.

agree.gif

That's priority #1 when I go through an old FI system like this. I don't use old harnesses anymore.

Other items I do when refreshing a system

-Weld the two halves of the intake plenum. Ensure there's no cracking underneath. I also use a large file and plane the mounting surface for the throttle body and cold start injector
-Use new injectors. You can send yours our for refreshing but keep in mind, they're still old injectors and can pop up leaking at anytime.
-If it's in the budget, a 123 distributor is the way to go. This is almost a requirement for me anymore. It eliminates several potential variables and is a big improvement.
-Use a new two-port fuel pump
-Clean, if not replace, the TPS board. Get it adjusted perfectly while on the bench.
-Clean lubricate AAR
cgnj
@ericoneal

Sent you PM with picture of my 2.0 runners

ericoneal
Thanks, I was able to score these off of Ebay for ~$65 shipped. Going to start digging into this after Christmas.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(cgnj @ Dec 19 2023, 07:46 PM) *

@ericoneal

Sent you PM with picture of my 2.0 runners

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.