Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gasket piece inside motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elkayeff
[size=Yesterday I was replacing the pcv valve in the oil filler breather box and a piece of the cork gasket fell into the reserve chamber and while picking it out I dropped it and it went under the box through an open passage under the box. I tried to vacuum it out but no luck. I also drained the oil and ran a wire along the bottom of the inside of the motor to see if it was laying on the bottom surface. No luck there. Does anyone know if the motor will just flip it the bottom of the motor or grind it up? If it does grind it up will.it just end up in the next oil change? I hope this has not happened to others but if it has please share your solution.
Thanks
930cabman
QUOTE(Elkayeff @ Dec 17 2023, 11:47 PM) *

[size=Yesterday I was replacing the pcv valve in the oil filler breather box and a piece of the cork gasket fell into the reserve chamber and while picking it out I dropped it and it went under the box through an open passage under the box. I tried to vacuum it out but no luck. I also drained the oil and ran a wire along the bottom of the inside of the motor to see if it was laying on the bottom surface. No luck there. Does anyone know if the motor will just flip it the bottom of the motor or grind it up? If it does grind it up will.it just end up in the next oil change? I hope this has not happened to others but if it has please share your solution.
Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much, it's soft and hopefully not a large piece?

It will probably come out the other end
GregAmy
I doubt it'll get past the pickup screen.

Maybe rain down some old oil from the top and see if it'll flush out the bottom?
Elkayeff
Thanks, the piece is about an inch or so long. I drained oil but did not find it. I will try to see if it comes out of the taco plate when removed.
Shivers
I’ve had people put all sorts of stuff where it was not suppose to go. I’ve had real good luck using diesel oil to flush engines. Pull the plates off the bottom, use a clean oil pan and flush it over and over till it comes out.
930cabman
welcome.png

being a small piece, I would leave it and dispense with any flushing, etc. It will not get past the strainer and will just live there until the case is opened up.

One less thing to be concerned with
majkos1
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 18 2023, 03:33 PM) *

welcome.png

being a small piece, I would leave it and dispense with any flushing, etc. It will not get past the strainer and will just live there until the case is opened up.

One less thing to be concerned with

agree.gif
no worries,
just sits somewhere after awhile,
won't go through oil strainer.
Elkayeff
Flipped starter for a second then put 5qts through it with the taco plate port open and it came out in one piece! Made my day knowing it was out of the motor.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.