Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
We have been using Back to Nature "Multi Strip" for over 20 years in our window restoration shop and as you can see it works well in our car shop. Available at your local HD in smallish containers. I used about a gallon for the whole car.

Click to view attachment
jaredmcginness
Thanks was looking for a new brand to try. Just ordered a gallon for a customer project, I will try it out.
930cabman
More

Click to view attachment

It needs to be 65 degrees minimum and I generally leave it dwell for 24 hours with thin plastic to retain the moisture.
Geezer914
Thanks for sharing.
MikeK
Thanks for posting. I'll give it a try.

It's been a struggle to find a good stripper since the MEK ban in CO. I put some painted bolts from a Vanagon in a cup of Kleen Strip for 2 days and it barely softened the paint. This was submerged.
930cabman
QUOTE(MikeK @ Dec 18 2023, 11:15 AM) *

Thanks for posting. I'll give it a try.

It's been a struggle to find a good stripper since the MEK ban in CO. I put some painted bolts from a Vanagon in a cup of Kleen Strip for 2 days and it barely softened the paint. This was submerged.

As mentioned Back to Nature brand is a safe product, no noxious odor, incidental skin contact is ok. Does need to be over 60 degrees and covered 24 or so hours. Washes off with water, I simply dry the surfaces with paper towels. Much better than going over 1/2 century of XYZ and who knows what else
technicalninja
Looks like an alternate to "stinky" removers.

Thanks for the tip!

Takes longer but looks like it works pretty good with the plastic overlay.

Can you tell what the "base" is?

Most of the 'friendly" strippers are citrus based.

Often smells "fruity".

I'm going to try this due to this post.
Shivers
Wow, that works pretty good. Thanks for the tip
930cabman
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 18 2023, 12:37 PM) *

Looks like an alternate to "stinky" removers.

Thanks for the tip!

Takes longer but looks like it works pretty good with the plastic overlay.

Can you tell what the "base" is?

Most of the 'friendly" strippers are citrus based.

Often smells "fruity".

I'm going to try this due to this post.

There is very little odor with Multi Strip. It is not like paint, it needs to be applied heavy, as in about as thick (1/16") as you apply it. I do not know the base, but the folks at Back to Nature have always been user friendly when I request information.

make sure you protect the floor as after sitting for 24 or more hours, the paint falls off via gravity.
930cabman
Not exactly why but check out the rusting under the removed paint.

Click to view attachment

there were no signs of degradation on either surface of this rusting. Maybe this was included at the factory at no extra charge
davep
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 1 2024, 08:17 AM) *

Not exactly why but check out the rusting under the removed paint. there were no signs of degradation on either surface of this rusting. Maybe this was included at the factory at no extra charge

Could the rusting have come from the stripping process? Now you have it stripped, what do you use to protect the bare surface; Metal Prep? I have used MP for many years on cleaned surfaces, and it tends to prevent rust for quite a long time under dry conditions.
brant
The rust occurs during stripping

It wasn’t under the paint
friethmiller
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 1 2024, 07:17 AM) *

Not exactly why but check out the rusting under the removed paint.
there were no signs of degradation on either surface of this rusting. Maybe this was included at the factory at no extra charge

I think rust can start to get under the paint a number of different ways. Check out my passenger side inner fender. This was under the paint. You would have never known by looking at it. BTW, this rust came off easily with my metal etch and a red 3M scuff pad.

Click to view attachment
Jett
Our garage is at a constant 71 degrees from the floor radiant heat, and very little moisture, yet we found similar rust under the primer of the trunk lid but not the quarter panels. We also found pockets of 1” surface rust under the rear shock tower seam-sealer, very unexpected.

I bought some phosphoric acid to remove the rust, will try this afternoon.

930cabman
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 1 2024, 09:42 AM) *

The rust occurs during stripping

It wasn’t under the paint

Not sure if I agree, I did the entire body and the leading portion of the hood is the only area showing this. During removal of the stripper the steel was generally clean as a whistle. I scrubbed with a heavy scotchbrite pad and rinsed with water. I'm gonna put my $5. on the rusting was under the paint
930cabman
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 1 2024, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 1 2024, 08:17 AM) *

Not exactly why but check out the rusting under the removed paint. there were no signs of degradation on either surface of this rusting. Maybe this was included at the factory at no extra charge

Could the rusting have come from the stripping process? Now you have it stripped, what do you use to protect the bare surface; Metal Prep? I have used MP for many years on cleaned surfaces, and it tends to prevent rust for quite a long time under dry conditions.

Planning to sand everything down to smooth bare and epoxy prime, go from there
mepstein
Was it original paint and primer or a respray.
technicalninja
I've found I get rust overnight it I don't use a phosphoric compound (or something similar).

After it's been hit with "metal ready or Dura-etch" it will go WEEKS in bare metal before the surface rust comes back.

Most of the strippers I've used over the years initially strip to clean metal that is starting to rust by the 2nd hour...
930cabman
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 1 2024, 01:29 PM) *

Was it original paint and primer or a respray.

A combination of both, odd only the front portion of the frunk is effected. It will sand out easily. About 95% of the steel looks great

It has been a couple of weeks and no signs of surface rusting. I keep the temp around 60 - 65 degrees.
930cabman
First coat of epoxy primer

Click to view attachment
friethmiller
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 3 2024, 02:48 PM) *

Looks great! Are you using a roller? Or, gun? Impressive either way!
930cabman
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jan 3 2024, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 3 2024, 02:48 PM) *

Looks great! Are you using a roller? Or, gun? Impressive either way!

thanks, never thought a roller, but Eastwood recommends it. I will keep this thread going as I am able
nivekdodge
you would see rust like that under surfaces that had checking or "laquer crack back in the day.

Kevin
930cabman
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jan 4 2024, 12:17 AM) *

you would see rust like that under surfaces that had checking or "laquer crack back in the day.

Kevin

Odd, there were no signs of anything going on under the paint. Looks like it had been "growing" for a while
930cabman
progress and yes it's a pleasure NOT working with a rusted out chassis.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.