Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Flashing Relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I'm eventually having to replace my flashing relay. Trying to gage how big a job it's going to be. Can I reach the relay by just removing the combo gage or does the whole cluster need to be removed? or does the whole dash need to be removed?
GregAmy
The turn signal relay? The fuse/relay board is under the dash, held in by two machine screws. Remove those two screws and it falls down so you can get access to the relays which are on the top side.

Five minute job...? With beer...?
930cabman
It's a simple job as Greg has said, drop the fuse panel, change the flasher relay
rfinegan
I did mine 2 days ago. EZ job
Be safe and pull the battery cable first.
Also take your time pulling the flasher relay. The can be tight and need a little wiggle to come loose
Highland
So I bought this relay from Pelican and both my turn signals started flashing really fast. When left or right was activated it seem to behave normally. Turning on emergency switch turned off the blinking.

Do I have the wrong relay?

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Do you have standard incandescent bulbs in all positions? If not, you want one of Spokes' relays.

https://www.spokeworksled.com/914-led-solutions
Spoke
QUOTE(Highland @ Dec 24 2023, 03:23 PM) *

So I bought this relay from Pelican and both my turn signals started flashing really fast.

Questions:
Do you mean if you put on the right turnsignal it flashes fast?
Do you mean if you put on the left turnsignal it flashes fast?
Do you have LED turnsignals?

When left or right was activated it seem to behave normally.

Do you mean before you changed relays?

Turning on emergency switch turned off the blinking.

A bit confused. If you pull the E-switch the turnsignals do not flash? There's a fuse (#9) that powers the E-switch when active.

Do I have the wrong relay?

It looks like you have the correct flasher relay.
Highland
- The car is a stock '73. All incandescent bulbs. No LED's.

- The old relay would work correctly for a few flashes of the turn signal, then both tach arrows would flash faintly together. Although the tach arrows would flash faintly together, I verified the actual exterior turn signal indicators operate correctly.

- The old relay would operate the emergency switch correctly.

- When I installed the new relay, with turn indicator off (in neutral position) both tach arrows would flash quickly and bright. If I turn on the emergency switch, everything would stop.

- Just to verify the turn signal relay is NOT on the fuse "box", but on one of those grommet mounted connectors that attach to the metal dash assembly.

- The original relay is much taller than the replacement. It is a Hella with part number 002479-01.

Spoke
QUOTE(Highland @ Dec 24 2023, 08:36 PM) *

- The car is a stock '73. All incandescent bulbs. No LED's.

- The old relay would work correctly for a few flashes of the turn signal, then both tach arrows would flash faintly together. Although the tach arrows would flash faintly together, I verified the actual exterior turn signal indicators operate correctly.

- The old relay would operate the emergency switch correctly.

- When I installed the new relay, with turn indicator off (in neutral position) both tach arrows would flash quickly and bright. If I turn on the emergency switch, everything would stop.

- Just to verify the turn signal relay is NOT on the fuse "box", but on one of those grommet mounted connectors that attach to the metal dash assembly.

- The original relay is much taller than the replacement. It is a Hella with part number 002479-01.

The tach indicators flashing together is a common wear sign with these old flasher relays.

The emergency switch you mentioned is the hazard switch, correct? And not the emergency brake.

With the new relay, when you pull the hazard switch, do all 4 outside turnsignals flash as well as the tach indicators?

With the new relay, when the left or right turnsignal is active, do the tach indicators flash normally?
Highland
I went out to retest everything and this is what I found:

- The quick flashing (of the tach arrows L&R and e-brake light) only occurs with the e-brake engaged. When I release the e-brake the turn signals work normally with the new relay.

- Sorry, emergency switch is the hazard switch. Now the hazard lights don't work at all (even with the old relay) except for turning off the flashing when the e-brake is on. They did work in the past.

-All fuses look good. Perhaps my hazard switch is not connected correctly. I'll check tomorrow.
Spoke
Looks like it's fuse 11 which powers the hazard switch. I doubt if your switch is bad. I would check all fuses. Rotate them in place and maybe even take out and check with an ohm meter. On my '74, all turnsignal wires were routed to the hazard switch.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.