Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative to appearance package console?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankieshooz
Odd question but I am looking for any ideas for mounting the 3 gauges normally used in the center console of the appearance package models. I have a 73 2.0 that is nearing a full restoration and I’m not running carpets or back pad (show condition painted interior) for a more spartan look. I was originally interested in the carbon dimensions console but I don’t think they are in business any longer. Any cool ideas, pics or suggestions for mounting the 3 gauges would be welcome.
Lockwodo
popcorn[1].gif
Spoke
I bought an OEM console and gave it to the world member refurbishing them for charity. I kept the gauge panel and gauges and made a custom center console out of wood which duplicates the OEM console.

Spoke's Custom Center Console
Craigers17
If you're trying to conserve weight, you could incorporate them all into a triple or quad gauge except for the clock. I think jbell959 is currently accepting orders for these types of gauges if you wanted to farm it out. You could also do a radio delete, and mount 2 out of the 3 in that space with a modified blank plate. I'm not sure how married you are to the clock(personally I think it's a waste of space.)
Cairo94507
How about the early Deposit Box?
Sorry about the poor picture; I grabbed it off the internet. My car is all covered up.

Click to view attachment
AzGuy238
Hi, I have a "Different" aftermarket center console for a 914 that I'd sell. It may meet your needs for something different. It's made of light weight plastic material, has places for the shifter boot (boot included) and heater handle, as well a holes for gauges and a couple of switches. Also incorporates a padded armrest (that needs to be recovered) and a small glove box. I'd like $60 for it.+ whatever it costs to ship. I can email you pictures. I'm Wayne Hall at wfhall@aol.com. Thanks
Root_Werks
I snagged a stock deposit console and like it. Place to put more stuff.
bkrantz
When I built my IT 914 race car in the 90s, I removed the radio and associated dash plate, and made a replacement plate that held two gauges.
burton73
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 19 2023, 06:03 AM) *

Sorry about the poor picture; I grabbed it off the internet. My car is all covered up.

Click to view attachment

Better picture of custom made Deposit Box

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
frankieshooz
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 19 2023, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 19 2023, 06:03 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Better picture of custom made Deposit Box

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment

All cool ideas, i especially like the idea of putting it the space of where the radio would go. Not sure if it would look too “busy” any pics of this out there?
Dave_Darling
For gauges, there used to be (and probably still are?) gauge holders that you hang under the dash. One could be made to mount on top of the dash, but it would be harder to make that look nice.

You can also just cut holes in the dash face and pop the gauges in there. A hole saw will generally make quick work of the sheet-metal and possibly even the vinyl covering. The radio location is a relatively convenient spot for at least one or two gauges. If you're creative, you can fabricate angled mountings for them so they face you and are easier to read.

A-pillar gauge pods also exist. I'm not fond of them, but some people like them.

And, of course, you can modify the combo gauge or fabricate a new instrument panel for whatever gauges you can get to fit.

--DD
bkrantz
Here's a poor shot of the inside of my 914 race car (I think an early version of the build). The gauges are in a plate of plain aluminum. Later I painted the plate black.
frankieshooz
Thanks guys. Great suggestions. I had not thought of putting the gauges in where the radio normally lives, I think that could be a great spot. Now I’m wondering if I should make em silver dot to match the big gauges? Might be too matchy matchy though..
brant
QUOTE(AzGuy238 @ Dec 19 2023, 01:50 PM) *

Hi, I have a "Different" aftermarket center console for a 914 that I'd sell. It may meet your needs for something different. It's made of light weight plastic material, has places for the shifter boot (boot included) and heater handle, as well a holes for gauges and a couple of switches. Also incorporates a padded armrest (that needs to be recovered) and a small glove box. I'd like $60 for it.+ whatever it costs to ship. I can email you pictures. I'm Wayne Hall at wfhall@aol.com. Thanks

Sounds like the amco console
Aftermarket from the 80’s
malcolm2
I like the letterbox. I have an old crappy one. Then i used the VDO 2 hole brackets.

I really like the PLX A/F gauge.... I can't find them anymore. I want one for my VW bus.

It has a Bluetooth and I put an app on my phone. So i don't need the gauge anymore. It also feeds the voltage too.

I got a 3D printed ashtray replacement with a "vent" mount for those magnetic holders.... You can kinda see my holder in the top center of the pic.

I mounted the gauge holders at a very slight angle, toward the driver.... the rear window reflects in and pretty much blocks out my readings.... so the angle helps.

Click to view attachment
NARP74
I love the Soggy Bottom Boys!
jhynesrockmtn
My 1970 has this gauge cluster the original owner added when the car was almost new. Most of them don't work worth a crap. I need to go through the wiring.

dtmehall
VDO makes a three hole black rubber mount. I have mounted it under the dashboard, similar to what another user did with a two hole one. Here is the url to the mount.

https://www.vdo-instruments.com/product/3-g...-2-1-16-gauges/

The also make a 3 hole metal mount, in either black or chrome
malcolm2
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 22 2023, 03:08 PM) *

i wondered if anyone might notice.....
NARP74
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 24 2023, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ Dec 22 2023, 03:08 PM) *

i wondered if anyone might notice.....

Yep, made me go play some of those songs. Thanks
MikeK
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Dec 23 2023, 12:30 PM) *

My 1970 has this gauge cluster the original owner added when the car was almost new. Most of them don't work worth a crap. I need to go through the wiring.

IPB Image

That's neat. I have the same pod in my 70.
searunner
QUOTE(MikeK @ Dec 24 2023, 10:56 AM) *

IPB Image

I preferred the direct view of the instruments-
a lower position can be dangerous
if you drive fastClick to view attachment
mate914
QUOTE(MikeK @ Dec 24 2023, 11:56 AM) *

IPB Image

The six cam with just the mount on the dash. I looked all over the net for why that mount was there. The car was raced in upstate NY and those gauges would have been needed. That photo helps a lot.
Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.