Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn pad restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello,
I have a horn pad that needs restoration. Is it possible to remove the vinyl covered center section with Porsche crest from the frame of the butterfly without damaging it?

Thanks in advance.
Mikey914
QUOTE(jack20 @ Dec 19 2023, 08:32 AM) *

Hello,
I have a horn pad that needs restoration. Is it possible to remove the vinyl covered center section with Porsche crest from the frame of the butterfly without damaging it?

Thanks in advance.

It is, it has twisted tabs, so you have to push it off after the tabs are straight.

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

if I remember correctly put a little downward pressure on the horn and twist to the left, if not to the right. smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
it is glued to the metal frame, so can be carefully separated especially now that the 50 year old glue has dried!!!

QUOTE(jack20 @ Dec 19 2023, 09:32 AM) *

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

jack20
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 19 2023, 09:23 AM) *

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

It is, it has twisted tabs, so you have to push it off after the tabs are straight.

Thanks for the reply. Not seeing any tabs, Mark. Would they be in the embedded on the back side of the butterfly?
jack20
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 19 2023, 09:30 AM) *

it is glued to the metal frame, so can be carefully separated especially now that the 50 year old glue has dried!!!

QUOTE(jack20 @ Dec 19 2023, 09:32 AM) *

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Thank you George. Nothing else holding it in place as Mark mentioned?
mepstein
It’s just glued in. Use your fingers and pull it out. If you mess up, I have a nice one that you can have for the cost of shipping.
jack20
QUOTE(914043 @ Dec 19 2023, 09:26 AM) *

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

if I remember correctly put a little downward pressure on the horn and twist to the left, if not to the right. smile.gif

Thanks for the reply. I have the butterfly off the wheel. Trying to remove the vinyl covered center portion of the butterfly.
jack20
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2023, 09:54 AM) *

It’s just glued in. Use your fingers and pull it out. If you mess up, I have a nice one that you can have for the cost of shipping.
Thank You!

friethmiller
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
jack20
Thanks for the help.
Making progress. The glue held up well over the years.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I'm sorry, went straight to the early horn "puck" when you mentioned this.
jack20
QUOTE(jack20 @ Dec 19 2023, 01:15 PM) *

Thanks for the help.
Making progress. The glue held up well over the years.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Got it! Thanks all for the encouragement to give it a shot.
Here is what it looks like when separated. There is a protrusion on the frame that fits into the pad for orientation. The pad needs to pop out of the protrusion. Lots of glue in there as well.
Thanks again,
Jack

Click to view attachment
jack20
No apology needed Mark. You’ve been a huge help over the 10 years I’ve had this car.
It’s never had a stock steering wheel. I’m giving it one for Christmas!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.