Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd & final powder coat lot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I have been really happy with the powder coating so far so I took one more lot of parts to be coated. Indy Powder Coating does excellent work.

This time semi-gloss black.
Doug Leggins
A little closer look.
Doug Leggins
The expansion tank didn't turn out so well....it expanded. I think that the processing heat caused the tank to blow up like a balloon.

My current plan is to take another expansion tank to my painter. He is currently painting my front valence and outer rockers. hopefully he can get the expansion tank a close color match to the gas tank.

Has anyone else had an expansion tank powder coated successfully?
spare time toys
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Aug 19 2005, 09:26 PM)
The expansion tank didn't turn out so well....it expanded. I think that the processing heat caused the tank to blow up like a balloon.

I guess thats why its called an expansion tank huh.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
Allan
I would imagine that if the ports were plugged and it was heated it would expand. I don't think they were designed as pressure vessels.

Really nice looking stuff though...
Series9
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Aug 19 2005, 07:26 PM)

Mine came out fine. I don't have any pics right now because I'm changing computers.
maf914
My 76 has a molded plastic expansion tank, flat black in color. I didn't realize earlier models were metal. idea.gif
JFJ914
QUOTE (Doug Leggins @ Aug 19 2005, 10:26 PM)

My current plan is to take another expansion tank to my painter. He is currently painting my front valence and outer rockers. hopefully he can get the expansion tank a close color match to the gas tank.

Yes, it turned out fine. Yours looks like my original one, the one I pressurized to remove some dents. Dents are gone, but the tank blew up like a balloon. ohmy.gif By the way, don't try to use it as it will not fit under the hood any more.
Doug Leggins
Thanks guys. It sounds like the expansion tank can be coated successfully. I think that I'll give the powder coating another try.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.