Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 at BH Auto Club
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
All,

I have been dabbling with the idea of a zero-time/100pt project focusing on a 914-6. have done a few 914-4s, I had in 2012 a 914-6 which I could not complete (family, time, etc.) and have been looking for a complete 914-6 to zero-time, scratch that itch.

This one is interesting, however, I might end up replacing most of the pannels,,,,,,

Would you?

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1970-po...4-6-c-15618.htm

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
mb911
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 19 2023, 11:46 AM) *

All,

I have been dabbling with the idea of a zero-time/100pt project focusing on a 914-6. have done a few 914-4s, I had in 2012 a 914-6 which I could not complete (family, time, etc.) and have been looking for a complete 914-6 to zero-time, scratch that itch.

This one is interesting, however, I might end up replacing most of the pannels,,,,,,

Would you?

If you have the money and time yes why not. I personally would take this on if I had both but I am not normal and can’t afford a finished example
SirAndy
wacko.gif
914Sixer
headbang.gif Ruuuuuun
Steve
What lake did they find this thing in?
brant
really looks like a piece of crap
and the seller reputation is beyond bad.

I agree with RUN!!!!
TROJANMAN
I think the seller added an extra zero by mistake, and even with the typo, it's a questionable purchase.
rhodyguy
Just spend the 100k on a done 6. Or way less on a clean conversion. Enjoy the car now. Not some date in the possibly distant future.
Cairo94507
Having been down that road, which indeed had some radical twists and turns, I have to agree with @rhodyguy .
Root_Werks
Surprised they took the top off, the passenger side closed door appears to be holding the 914 up.
r_towle
Im curious, considering there are only ~3k of these cars (the /6) how many are still remaining, running, usable?

Rich
930cabman
Either you are young or got some real guts or alot of $$ or maybe all three

Best of luck with this one, it's been for sale for quite some time, for good reason
campbellcj
I agree - this looks like one of those where a $200k multi-year restoration would get you a nice $100k car...

I can say a guy I used to work with bought a 60's Mustang from them, which was literally rusted in half and needed to be completely re-tubbed and rebuilt which was vastly more work than it was represented to need.
Chris914n6
For that price you can buy a running -6 that just needs a few rust patches and paint.

That BHCC -6 needs a new everything. Not worth it at any price.

Build a -6 conversion if you must keep your hands and wallet busy.
rjames
Please tell me you're joking.

Also, even if restored to 100% perfection, I'm not sure knowing that it started out in that condition would help bring top $ when it came time to sell given the amount of non-original metal that would be required to bring it back.
SirAndy
We'll see this car again!

As a VIN swap ...
dry.gif
gereed75
There are 914-6’s available that would provide just as much restoration fun as that sounds to be your objective

Cost about the same to buy

And cost lots less to get done

And be just at as nice when done

And might actually get done!!!!

That one recently posted from samba Would be a great candidate
NARP74
Who would do that to a car? That thing had to sit for years out in the elements until they realized what they had. Maybe too late. At least at that price.
Literati914
The fringes @ the longs are cool smoke.gif

ctc911ctc
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 19 2023, 04:56 PM) *

Best of luck with this one, it's been for sale for quite some time, for good reason

Money - looking for an original with all of the parts where some genius has not decided to 'build it' in the past - there are a few that have been cut apart or 'modified' where the original engine is long gone, etc.

I have done this before, it is not very much money for what it is.......

Thank you for the note - and comments!
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Dec 19 2023, 07:38 PM) *

The fringes @ the longs are cool smoke.gif

Looks like the lower 2 inches of the car was sitting in salt water - there are many that are worse.
jhynesrockmtn
Best of luck if you do. Pay attention to those that know BHCC has a horrible reputation. Pelican Parts forums have many threads. How much is a VIN worth? That's basically what this is.
mepstein
I don’t know how a project like that pencils out, even if you do all the work yourself. I agree that it’s a six vin with a bunch of core parts. I’ve been offered driver quality 914-6’s for $50k so this one makes no sense to me.
infraredcalvin
Agreed, if that price point is palatable to you, there are some decent choices popping up here.
targa72e
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 19 2023, 05:30 PM) *

We'll see this car again!

As a VIN swap ...
dry.gif

This car is kind of a question of is it more original if you swap out 80% of the sheet metal and parts or start with a rust free 914-4 chassis and swap over the -6 parts. I personally do not have a problem with starting with a more rust free chassis. In the end its all a bunch of swapped parts. In the end there is one more 914 on the road.

john
930cabman
or just cut the vin off and glue it onto a decent /4 chassis. It's probably been done before
mb911
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 19 2023, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 19 2023, 04:56 PM) *

Money - looking for an original with all of the parts where some genius has not decided to 'build it' in the past - there are a few that have been cut apart or 'modified' where the original engine is long gone, etc.

I have done this before, it is not very much money for what it is.......

Thank you for the note - and comments!

Agreed and I would do the same. My 914-4 conversion to a -6 was not much better
gereed75
Undoubtedly the chassis could be resurrected. I just wonder how salvageable the motor/trans would be in any practical sense. Think of all those other things like shifter parts, trailing arms, steering rack etc etc etc.

Assuming most of that stuff is likely better replaced than repaired….. well Yes it’s all available but tracking them all down and shipping them and refurbishing them - wow. Big job

Gotta really love the process!!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 20 2023, 07:55 AM) *

or just cut the vin off and glue it onto a decent /4 chassis. It's probably been done before

Yeah - it’s called fraud.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 19 2023, 09:24 PM) *

. . . . there are many that are worse.

Really? I’m not so sure.

While I admire the spirit, here’s the thing, that chassis will need to be done on a professional frame rack to have any chance of coming out OK.

This isn’t a chassis that can be done on a home built build cart. There is literally nothing left of the floor pan and the longs. Even the chromed shifter rod is roached.

It’s pushing $20k just to rebuild a motor DIY once you cover the machine work and the parts it will need.

Now add in everything else this car needs and it’s guaranteed to be underwater (again).

The worst part would be after putting that kind of time, money, blood, sweat, and tears into it, what happens when an idiot on the cell phone runs into it? You’re never getting paid for what you have into it.

Hard pass for me.
Root_Werks
If that was a 356 in the same condition, it'd be a steal.
lalee914
I think BHCC is being very honest with this one. They post lots of photos showing all the nasty stuff. I don't see them trying to hide anything. When you open it up, rust is always 10 times worse than it looks at first. They just have a habit of pricing everything at the top end of the price range. It seems that this one has at least one extra digit in their asking price, maybe 2 extra digits. VIN swap candidate for sure.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you personally save this 914-6 you are my hero. Perfectly able to be done, just need to have a bunch of free labor and some skill to make it worth the effort

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Dec 19 2023, 12:46 PM) *

All,

Would you?

bossboy302
what is a "zero-time/100pt. project"?
rhodyguy
Where does one sign up for this ‘bunch’ of free labor? I would like to reserve 40-60 hours of free labor.
930cabman
This project makes sense if you want to work for $.10 and hour

I will pass thank you
Front yard mechanic
Yeah but don’t you want to be in the club. Beverly hill Billy club
SirAndy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 20 2023, 06:12 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 20 2023, 07:55 AM) *

Yeah - it’s called fraud.

agree.gif

Wouldn't be the first time we've seen this ...
dry.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 20 2023, 07:32 AM) *

If that was a 356 in the same condition, it'd be a steal.

If it was a 356 in the same condition BHCC would be asking $60,000 for it.
Dave_Darling
I see about half-dozen panels on this car that don't need replacement. Unless you're a real metal-shaping pro, in which case there are probably a few more that can be saved.

Most of the structure of the car simply isn't anymore. The floor pans, the inner rockers, the cowl, at least part of the basket handle, at least three of the fenders, the door skins... All of those need significant patching or replacing.

Could be worse than that; the terrible re-spray could be hiding a ton and a half of bondo as well, meaning even more panels need significant repair or replacement.

Even if you want a project you can spend 50,000 hours on and $50K in parts, you'll still come out ahead if you take that same budget and spend it on a better starting point.

--DD
mepstein
If I got the car at the right price, I would take all the parts off, rehab them and put them on an early 914 shell and put the six vin on my wall. But to me, the right price is $10-12k. I could care less about a vin number
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 20 2023, 06:00 PM) *

If I got the car at the right price, I would take all the parts off, rehab them and put them on an early 914 shell and put the six vin on my wall. But to me, the right price is $10-12k. I could care less about a vin number

I really like that idea aktion035.gif
ctc911ctc
In aviation this is a phrase I picked up where a plane is restored to "zero time". An air-frame is restored to Zero Cycles (most larger planes have a Cycle Limit, each landing is a cycle. Each landing and every hour depreciates the plane, there is a hard cycle limit on most commercial and Private Jets that I know about. An A&P would know more). So, after a plane is Zero Timed the amount of hours and Cycles are set to Zero, the time-out clock is set to zero. Occasionally this makes fiscal sense. I know the A-10 went through a program like this. Cost per plane was crazy expensive, however, less than starting up production of new ones.

100pts - in a judgement against a new car, a professional would look NOT for perfection but an attention to detail that captures factory 'mistakes' and/or all of the oil-marker construction marks, etc.

In essence, when used together the objective is a new machine that would be exactly (the goal) like one coming off the factory line - in this case - in 1970/71

Oh yea, I am very crazy, working toward an objective is what drives me. Sometimes my objectives are fiscally aligned and sometimes..........yow!

Thank you TEENERS! I leaned a great deal from nearly everyone on this thread - I recognize each of you from hundreds of questions I have posted over the years. Sorry if I am stiring the pot a bit too much stirthepot.gif

QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Dec 20 2023, 11:42 AM) *

what is a "zero-time/100pt. project"?
mb911
I just relooked at all the pictures. I completely understand how many of you are telling him to pass. I think if he buys it right this car is totally savable. My car was not much better. Go look at my build thread. I am not the only one capable of doing that work. This car can and should be fixed. Will it make money? No? Will it be a labor of love absolutely. Should it be done on a chassis fixture yes probably but could it be done with tape measure, levels, home made fixtures hell yeah. Gosh I use to build airplanes for a living and I will tell you that most gen av aircraft are made using home made type of fixtures and are still laser straight. This project will take years but I will ask you all to take a look at the gentleman from France that did an amazing build on here not that long ago. Again will it take a while yes. My car took 5 years and then I am still tweaking things.

We have no idea what the skill set of the OP is but if I had the time and money this would be on my radar and if you all told me I couldn’t that would just drive me to do it.

Sorry off my soap box
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2023, 08:27 PM) *

We have no idea what the skill set of the OP is but if I had the time and money this would be on my radar and if you all told me I couldn’t that would just drive me to do it.

Totally impossible . . . . Can’t be done. stirthepot.gif

Just sayin’ I foresee a bidding war for this stromberg.gif

poke.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif
ctc911ctc
Super hawk is the best beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 20 2023, 08:52 PM) *

mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 20 2023, 05:52 PM) *

Lol I would but my life consists of maintaining cars for my kids so they can go to work and earn money so they can buy a car that doesn’t need maintenance on a regular basis. Did I tell you I am basically a Subaru tech lol.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 21 2023, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 20 2023, 05:52 PM) *

Lol I would but my life consists of maintaining cars for my kids so they can go to work and earn money so they can buy a car that doesn’t need maintenance on a regular basis. Did I tell you I am basically a Subaru tech lol.

LOL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.