Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gt bumper fab question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
My car currently has a fiberglass bumper and I want to go with a steel bumper. For chrome bumpers with the oil cooler cut out, what are my options? Does someone make the bumper that way or do I have to get a new one, cut it up and rechrome it? Thanks.
mepstein
I have a GT style that BenMB911 made for me. He did a really nice job. It’s $600 + ship. It will still need to be chromed or painted. Let me know if you’d like pics.
mb911
https://914-6werkshop.com/product/914-6-gt-...r-modification/

I have done hundreds of them. I have a core bumper here as well that could be used if you decide you want to do it.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2023, 09:12 PM) *

I have a GT style that BenMB911 made for me. He did a really nice job. It’s $600 + ship. It will still need to be chromed or painted. Let me know if you’d like pics.

Oops sorry didn’t want to step on your deal.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 20 2023, 07:30 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2023, 09:12 PM) *

Oops sorry didn’t want to step on your deal.

No problem. I’m a huge fan of Ben’s work so if he can make something for you, go for it. beerchug.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Dec 19 2023, 08:05 PM) *

My car currently has a fiberglass bumper and I want to go with a steel bumper. For chrome bumpers with the oil cooler cut out, what are my options? Does someone make the bumper that way or do I have to get a new one, cut it up and rechrome it? Thanks.

I did mine and it is an incredible amount of work. Mine gets painted, I would imagine it would be twice as hard if it was to be chromed. If I had it to do again I’d get one from mb911. His work is real quality.

This is my attempt
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yes, Ben Mcfarland does BEAUTIFUL work and can make you a custom chrome/stainless GT bumper

QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Dec 19 2023, 09:05 PM) *

roundtwo
Its getting it rechromed that's a challenge for us west coasters- California that is.
JmuRiz
Hook up with ValcoOscar, he did mine years ago and probably still has contacts.

I wish I’d have had the forethought and done a front cutout when I had them rechromed…oh well.
mb911
I recall the first ones I did took about 5 hours to do. Now I am more efficient. I would think for someone that may not have the same skill set nor fixtures could easily spend 20 hours on a bumper job and still not fit. Mine are welded on a fixture I made based off of some stainless bumpers I did for George.

I put the actual lip on so it looks like the factory would have made it to. Oscar can probably chrome one for you. It may take a while for him but the price is right. The reality is you can get a GT chromed bumper done for around 1000 bucks for a good job. For concours it will be double that. Cairo s bumper was done by me and he found a chromer but I don’t recall the final price he paid.
Cairo94507
@mb911 - Ben did do my GT opening front bumper and it came out exactly the way I wanted; it matches my steel GT opening valance perfectly.

I had it chromed by a fellow I found in another thread, posted by one of our members. Took about 6 weeks and cost me $950 for the chroming. It would have been a few hundred less, but I had 6 holes that needed welding and finishing.

Juan Mejia - bummers.wheels at gmail dot com. He is located in SoCal.

As received from Ben; checking fitment:
Click to view attachment

After chroming.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Dec 20 2023, 10:24 PM) *

Its getting it rechromed that's a challenge for us west coasters- California that is.

It’s a challenge anywhere.
wes
Very happy with mine hand crafted by Ben and Oscar. Couldn’t be happier!Click to view attachment
mb911
Here is my carClick to view attachment
roundtwo
@shivers

Shiver let me know about... for chroming.

https://www.westcoastchrome.com/

Guessing about $1800-2000 budget needed for the fabrication, shipping and chroming with a pretty good bumper already in my clutches. Sound about right?

Hard to resist going down the painted fiberglass bumper route due to the costs. I'd still need to replace the rear with fiberglass too. Sell off the very good chrome bumper.

IMO, the chrome looks so good! Passion vs. practicality.... the inner struggle!

Cairo94507
$1,500 should cover that with you supplying the bumper. beerchug.gif
mb911
I have a core bumper that is pretty nice $140 core.
roundtwo
@mb911
Thanks Ben, you'll be my go too if I go down the chrome bumper route.
oh, what do you think of the Patrick Motorsports gt valance. I need to buy one, prep and paint it. Heard anything about the fit, finish, mounting accuracy?

Your bumper template ...pair well the the PM's gt bumper?

Thanks,

Todd
mb911
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Dec 23 2023, 03:18 PM) *

@mb911
Thanks Ben, you'll be my go too if I go down the chrome bumper route.
oh, what do you think of the Patrick Motorsports gt valance. I need to buy one, prep and paint it. Heard anything about the fit, finish, mounting accuracy?

Your bumper template ...pair well the the PM's gt bumper?

Thanks,

Todd

Todd,

My template is like the factory so yes fits perfectly with the other valances out there.
burton73
Well this is one. Not sure who fabricated it, but this one was supplied by PMB Performance

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 24 2023, 11:52 AM) *

Well this is one. Not sure who fabricated it, but this one was supplied by PMB Performance

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment

PMB does their own. It’s a little different pattern than what I do. I use a radius on the bottom to match with whomevers valance the client ends up with
Bucci
25 or 26 years ago, I pattern my bumper opening from the 914-8. At the time the Becks and I were building 911 race cars with crimped stainless mesh oil cooler covers. The bigger opening suited my preference for more air inlet. Never understood why one would limit airflow inlet or outlet. The factory went out of its way on the GT cars to have ample airflow.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
The opening for the factory 914-8 doesn’t look huge considering it’s a 350 hp race engine that can spin to 9K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.