Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reinforced dipstick tube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
i been hearing about these things breaking and that it requires punching it out from the inside to repair. S'pose there is any reasonable thing to do as a precaution against this? As the metal continues to heat cycle and be stressed by dipstick entry/exit flex, it will get weaker. Any good ideas? Anybody had one break?
McMark
I've never seen a broken one. Maybe Jake will tell us how many he's come across. The only time I've heard of one being damaged is when the engine is taken apart and the case gets thrown around either in shipping or "around the house".
TravisNeff
I have never seen one break or come loose before either. Aren't they just pressed into the case? How are they going to break something falling on it?
SGB
I was recalling a letter to Panorama or excellence a couple of issues back where some cat had a crack at the base that leaked oil, and the reply (can't remember who, but someone quite experienced) that this had occured on several high milage engines. I agree with the call to Jake. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
Jake Raby
I see it alot.. primarily caused by shipping of a case or a wreckless removal of the engine/tear down...

I've never seen one brak from mileage.... Or at least I don't think so...

If anyone breaks theirs I have a replacement that I use when we have to repair the broken ones..
Mark Henry
I've only seen them broke from damage i.e. dropping the case.

But I've also seen them cut from the shrouding improperly installed and rubbing (cutting into) the tube.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.