Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankieshooz
I’m in the final stages of my restoration I’m at the point whether I need to decide whether I want one or two door mirrors.. What’s the consensus out there? Mirrors will be stuck in appearance.
ClayPerrine
There is a nut plate in every right hand door for a mirror. And all of our 914s have a right hand mirror on them. It makes it easier to see to the right, and to me it looks better.

Shivers
Because the doors both have the threaded piece inside, and the factory didn’t make RHD cars, and there is bound to be a country out there that insisted on two mirrors I’d say go for it. Besides that, mine had a bit of a blind spot and the second mirror helped with that. My mirrors vibrate like an old Harley Davidson but it still helps.
fiacra
It's a "no brainer" in my opinion. Anything to make the car safer to drive....
Jamie
QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 21 2023, 10:23 AM) *

Because the doors both have the threaded piece inside, and the factory didn’t make RHD cars, and there is bound to be a country out there that insisted on two mirrors I’d say go for it. Besides that, mine had a bit of a blind spot and the second mirror helped with that. My mirrors vibrate like an old Harley Davidson but it still helps.

I definitely recommend installing an original "rare and expensive" R side mirror. I'm paranoid about how tiny our teeners are and want to be able to see all around me on the road. aktion035.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(fiacra @ Dec 21 2023, 10:59 AM) *

agree.gif

It's nice to have the passenger side mirror.

Mikey914
Worth it. Most modern cars have 2 for a reason. It's not a ding against stock of you are a CW, so why not.
frankieshooz
Thanks guys it looks like a slam dunk! Two it is…I’ve pretty much modified the crap out of it anyway so it’s not like it needs to be concours original! Happy Holidaze!
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
Two mirrors are better than one.
fixer34
Which begs the question..
Where do I get one? Early style for a '70 -6, that doesn't cost an arm & leg.
Type 47
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Dec 21 2023, 02:03 PM) *

there is only one mirror, it fits on both sides. I would give Brad a try

914 Limited, Inc.
East Peoria, IL
email: p914ltd@yahoo.com
sixnotfour
QUOTE(fiacra @ Dec 21 2023, 11:59 AM) *

beerchug.gif
trick-e
One per door is probably enough.
bkrantz
Some of us suffer from symmetry OCD, so no thought required.
Front yard mechanic
Your car will be slower due to drag coefficient air forces or something like that
wonkipop
QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 21 2023, 12:23 PM) *

lhd drive 914s were permitted for sale in the UK and Japan.
in both instances were fitted standard from factory with RH mirror in addition to standard LH for those markets.
ConeDodger
I have both. It’s an improvement, but view to the rear is still crap…
Jamie
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 21 2023, 06:38 PM) *

Your car will be slower due to drag coefficient air forces or something like that

Mirror drag is minimal compared to raising the headlights at speed! hissyfit.gif
Cairo94507
I suffer from symmetry syndrome...so yeah, 2 mirrors please. beerchug.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 21 2023, 03:07 PM) *

914 Limited, Inc.
East Peoria, IL

There are actually 2 different styles of mirrors that have been used as standard on 914s. I don't recall what year the mirror design changed, but the back shape is the difference, not readily apparent unless set side by side.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
two for 350.00 http://www.autoatlanta.com/Factory-Look-Po...1473103910.html

discount code dr914
Stratfink
I bought mirrors from rose passion last year.

https://www.rosepassion.com/en/91473103910-...fQaAtzvEALw_wcB

I don’t recall what I paid but looks like $142 each now…
dr914@autoatlanta.com
70-71 models had a square arm 72 up had a rounded arm and all factory replacement mirrors have been superseded to the rounded arm. You can see pictures in the 914 restorers guide to authenticity

QUOTE(Jamie @ Dec 22 2023, 07:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 21 2023, 03:07 PM) *

914 Limited, Inc.
East Peoria, IL

There are actually 2 different styles of mirrors that have been used as standard on 914s. I don't recall what year the mirror design changed, but the back shape is the difference, not readily apparent unless set side by side.

JamesM
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 21 2023, 07:07 PM) *

Some of us suffer from symmetry OCD, so no thought required.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
That

Safety is also a consideration but I never felt like I could see anything very well in any of the mirrors on a 914 anyways, not to mention a 914 is so small you can see behind it just by turning your head. For me i think appearance is a bigger factor. Go look at a 914 with a single mirror, granted its not as bad as the late 70s 911s with a single mirror it still feels pretty lopsided to me. I dont like my brain being thrown off balance every time i look at my car.
Billy Bumpsteer
Suffered for 2 years with just one then fitted the passenger one, should have done it straight away!
targa72e
having only driver side mirror I really miss the second every time I have to change lanes.

john
SKL1
I'd love to have a passenger mirror on both cars, but every time I think about drilling a hole in perfectly good paint I start sweating profusely... one of these days I'll get up the courage smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.