Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oiling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KevinP
How many of you guys out there are using "Accusump" pre oilers and where are you mounting them? Engine compartment heat has me concerned.... everyone using an external oil cooler with this type set-up?

I'm open for ideas--- smile.gif

-------------------
KP
r_towle
accusump was in the rear trunk...external oil cooler up front, thermostat in engine bay, filter where battery used to be.

Rich
BMartin914
Don't mean to hijack but...Accusump does what? I've heard of it, just don't understand what it does.
brant
I used to (sold it to a 944 guy) run my accusump in the front trunk.
right next to my oil cooler, aux filter, and battery.

why add weight to the rear?

it pushed way too much oil, so the front is not a problem.

Ben, its pressured oil reservoir. When the pressure in the motor drops below the accusump pressure it pushes oil out into the motor. when the motor pressure builds greater than the residual accusump pressure it pushes oil back into the accusump.

helps cure oil starvation in the corners when racing.

a little too much volume actually and probably better suited to camaro's and mustangs. Although I think it did way more good than harm in the 10+ years I used it. I think oil accumulators are recommended over the accusump... or possibly they make smaller ones than the 3 quart system I used to run.

brant
KevinP
I guess my real reason for wanting to run one is the initial start concern. I hate the idea of turning a motor over with no oil flowing right off the start. I hadn't even thought of low or lost pressure on cornering.

I'm looking for motor longivity- thanks for the help guys! smile.gif

--------------------------------

KP
cha914
Brant,

Did you just plum your accusump into the return line in the front trunk? I like the idea of putting that up front with my cooler.

Also, they do make smaller sizes now, 1 and 2 quart, but I think most everyone I have seen runs the 3 quart job.

Thanks,

Tony
brant
Tony,

yep had it mounted in the return line on the front trunk floor. The valve to shut if off was easy that way too.

I actually had (still have) an upright spare tire, and the accusump used to fit behind it tucked into the firewall area (where the fuel pump cover would be on a 75)

brant
Thorshammer
An Accusump (Brand name) is an accumulator.

I have run them with success on 914 engines in the past with excellent results, Just need to make a checklist to shut the car off so that you trap the oil into the accumulator ( no free advertising here).

Basically bringing the revs up and trapping 50-80 psi of oil into your accumulator. This is how it works. Then on restart, prime the fuel pump, turn on the ignition and open the accumulator valve and turn the key to start (or press the button in my case) I do not run one on my six, because it develops oil pressure very quickly, and the engine is dry sumped and carries alot of oil so it does not starve itself under cornering loads. This reduction of oil pressure at conering loads is what kills many race engines. The accucump will have whatever PSI the engine is at, in it while the valve is open. So if a sudden drop in pressure occurs (like from a momentary or sustained G load) the contents from the accumulator are delivered to the engine under pressure until the accumulator capacity is depleated.

Only one small caveat, if you forget to shut the valve off prior to shutting the engine down, close the valve for restart, because the oil pump will be filling the accumulator the same time it is trying to lubricate the engine bearings,.... not good. After the engine is started open the valve slowly at any RPM above tick over, and watch the main oil pressure gauge so it does not drop too low. If it starts to drop low, close the valve and increase the RPM and open the valve SLOWLY again until the oil pressure is stabile. This ends accumulator 101 provided by EM. Good Luck, I would always run one on a 914-4 motor even if I had a dry sump pump, but thats my 2 cents. Jake may have a better solution.

Erik Madsen "Runoffs Bound"

PS: "Tune in next week for an encouraging discussion about the female galapogos turtle and her odd mating rituals" Until then, I'm EM signing off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.