Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake light adjustment ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Title says it all......I removed, repaired, and replaced my pedal cluster and forgot how to adjust the brake light switch....it may work now I am not sure....any instructions would be greatly appreciated.....thank you very much !!
gg
76-914
I would just remove it and place an ohm meter across the 2 terminals on the switch then move the stalk to and fro to see if it is switching. You'll also see the adjustment screw on the back when you have it off. Be careful not to install it with that stalk on the wrong side of the brake tab or you will break it when you step on it.
euro911
Wait 'till night time, insert key in ignition switch, turn to first detent, depress brake pedal, look in rear view mirror ... if you see a red aurora, they work laugh.gif

poke.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 23 2023, 05:25 PM) *

Wait 'till night time, insert key in ignition switch, turn to first detent, depress brake pedal, look in rear view mirror ... if you see a red aurora, they work laugh.gif

poke.gif

even better.... in the garage with the door down.... at night or the garage lites off.
bdstone914
@second wind

First check that the brake lights are coming on. Ignition to on. You can use a pole to depress the pedal wedged against the seat if you dont have a helper to check the lights.
The switch is in the depressed position with the pedal NOT depressed.
Adjustment is done my loosening the jam 7mm nut on the slotted screw.
Near Impossible to do with the switch installed. Turning the screw clockwise makes the lights come on sooner. I adjust them so that the lights com on when the pedal moves about an inch.

Bruce
friethmiller
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 24 2023, 10:31 AM) *

@second wind

First check that the brake lights are coming on. Ignition to on. You can use a pole to depress the pedal wedged against the seat if you dont have a helper to check the lights.
Near Impossible to do with the switch installed. Turning the screw clockwise makes the lights come on sooner. I adjust them so that the lights com on when the pedal moves about an inch.

Bruce

agree.gif I did this adjustment after installation and it was a b#tch!
fiacra
Trying to figure out if this is a different question from your previous thread?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=368337

I'll reiterate that I found it a lot easier to remove the switch to adjust it. Much easier to take it on and off than to try and reach the adjustment screw and lock nut when it is mounted in place. Placement of the lever and washer is also a bit counterintuitive. Refer back to your previous thread for a helpful picture. A previous owner may have tried to adjust the switch by bending the lever so be aware that you might need to correct that.

bdstone914
QUOTE(friethmiller @ Dec 24 2023, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 24 2023, 10:31 AM) *

@second wind

Bruce

agree.gif I did this adjustment after installation and it was a b#tch!

Easier way is to remove the switch from the housing, adjust and reinstall. If nothing is bent about four threads should show above the jam nut. I adjust all switches when i rebuild pedal sets.
Most replacement switches are so far are of adjustment they will not come on and need at least three inches of pedal travel to activate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.