Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard foam under carpet on PS at bulkhead?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have an early '73 2.0 with a build date 12/72.

I believe my 914 should have the molded hard foam under the carpet in the passenger side footwell at the bulkhead. I'm exploring the idea of putting a small subwoofer in that piece of foam. When I pull the carpet back in the footwell it's just the metal firewall. There's no foam there.

Maybe it was removed at some point?

In a parts lot I bought a while back, there was piece of hard molded foam that I assumed was for the footwell. However, when I pull the carpet back and try to put the foam there it does not seem to fit that space.

Do I need to remove the speaker unit in that footwell and/or the center console to get this piece of foam in that space? Is that why it's not wanting to fit?

Or do I have the wrong year foam?

Is something else the issue?

Click to view attachment
DC_neun_vierzehn
Click to view attachment
arbitrary
It looks OK; you just need to try again to fit it. Here’s mine in place.
76-914
There is an early and a late version. I have both but I'm not sure which is which. lol-2.gif
dtmehall
I have a 73, and have removed the speaker, and everything else in the passenger compartment.

I don't remember any foam
barefoot
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 25 2023, 09:55 PM) *

There is an early and a late version. I have both but I'm not sure which is which. lol-2.gif

The 75 & 76 had a big cut-out on backside for a mileage counter for the cat converter to indicate service intervals. it was connected to a 2 part speedometer cable
majkos1
QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 26 2023, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 25 2023, 09:55 PM) *

The 75 & 76 had a big cut-out on backside for a mileage counter for the cat converter to indicate service intervals. it was connected to a 2 part speedometer cable

referred to as " Stash box" smoke.gif

remove gizmo, perfect hiding spot! shades.gif
Dave_Darling
There originally wasn't a speaker in the footwell, just the one in the speaker pod to the side. If there's a speaker down in there now, it's not a surprise that the foam block doesn't fit.

--DD
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 27 2023, 01:21 PM) *

There originally wasn't a speaker in the footwell, just the one in the speaker pod to the side. If there's a speaker down in there now, it's not a surprise that the foam block doesn't fit.

--DD

The pod is the one I'm talking about.

Just doing a test fit ... the foam does not want to fit in that space with the center console on the left and the speaker pod and heat hose behind it on the right. I suspect I need to pull all of the carpeting out in the footwell including behind the speaker pod and heat hose and it will fit if I do that.

However, that means I need to remove the speaker pod and hose so that I can re-affix the carpeting properly when done. Just another seemingly simple 914 project that is actually a little bit more involved than what it appears at first blush.

I'll take pics and share.
JmuRiz
I still have mine attached to the OG carpet...not going to use either if you need a photo...I'm local-ish too.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 28 2023, 04:47 PM) *

I still have mine attached to the OG carpet...not going to use either if you need a photo...I'm local-ish too.

@JmuRiz appreciate that kind offer, but I removed the speaker pod and all of the carpeting on the PS ... and the foam fit snug as a bug.

I then moved on to cutting out a cavity for the sub like the one in this thread. I'm going to wait to hook it up until I have solved a couple of electrical gremlins (first things, first).

Thanks again for the offer.
rgalla9146

Aren't there three versions of the hard foam ?
Early and late and late with EGR mileage counter ?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 29 2023, 06:06 PM) *

Aren't there three versions of the hard foam ?
Early and late and late with EGR mileage counter ?

That’s what I have gathered from comments in this thread and pics posted in other threads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.