Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 ignition switch replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mitchg27
Hi I am new to 914 forum and looking for help on a project. I have a 1970 914, I am trying to repair/ replace the faulty ignition switch. Does anyone have experience with sourcing the correct switch and instructions for removing old switch and installing new switch.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Replacing the ignition switch is on my project list for my '73.

Here is a nice link I have bookmarked:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...tion_switch.htm

I believe there are differences in the process and possibly the switch too (as I recall 70-72 is the same, 73-74 is the same, and 75-76 is the same).

I ordered a Genuine Porsche replacement switch, but sadly it had "Made In China" on the packaging. Fingers crossed it works and lasts.

JeffBowlsby
Here is one source:

https://www.autoatlanta.com/results.php?par...r=914%201970-76
914Sixer
Same instructions a 70 VW Beetle if available.
914sgofast2
The electrical part of the switch is the same as a 1970 VW Bug. That said, the new ones now being sold are all Made In China of poor quality. The wiring colors don't match either, if my memory is correct from doing this replacement job 2 years ago.
913B
Just go for it and try not pry/break it, when you get stuck ask away, post pictures will help.
Good Luck
Dave_Darling
I think I remember that the early cars didn't have the plugs that later cars have, so you may have to splice wires or de-pin connectors to replace the switch. My memory is kind of hazy on this, and I haven't dealt with it on an early car.

--DD
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 27 2023, 12:22 PM) *

I think I remember that the early cars didn't have the plugs that later cars have, so you may have to splice wires or de-pin connectors to replace the switch. My memory is kind of hazy on this, and I haven't dealt with it on an early car.

--DD

Dave is correct. It is a bit of a PITA to do. Did it many years agon on my old 70.
majkos1
Oh Joy! Have something to look forward to. Not.

Just replaced some floor boards in Evil Herb's smoke.gif (Herbie lil brother.)

Click to view attachment

Will be putting Evil Herb's up for sale in Spring,

Need some brake line repair....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.