Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a 914 rear deck lid protector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914-VI
I'm looking for a dedicated "fender cover" for the rear deck lid for when your working on engine to protect it from damage.

Thanks
technicalninja
One of the other member's mother/relative made NICE ones.

I cannot remember who...

I think she stopped but someone should start making them again.

I want one too!
StratPlayer
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44221
914-VI
Thanks for the info guys!!! Just what I was looking for.

Cheers!
Howie
GaroldShaffer
My mom started making these back in 2006. She stopped making them back in 2019 when her vision and arthritic hands wouldn't allow her to continue. Perry took over production back then. I'm not sure he is still doing them, best to PM him.

I'll tag him in this post also.

@IronHillRestorations
Craigers17
I think @mlindner is actually the guy who is ultimately going to be making what you need, per this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...368136&st=0
mlindner
Thanks Craigers17. Yes, I am in the process of making an improved version of the 914 service cover. It will cover the entire rear trunk with magnets in the corners. Should have a final product in a few weeks. Thanks, Mark
914-VI
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 28 2023, 06:38 AM) *

Thanks Craigers17. Yes, I am in the process of making an improved version of the 914 service cover. It will cover the entire rear trunk with magnets in the corners. Should have a final product in a few weeks. Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark! Let me know when they are ready.

Cheers!
Howie
mepstein
I have one of Garold’s original service covers, made by his mom. Still new in the bag. $120 + ship.
jfort
I am fortunate enough to have one made by Garold’s mom. And I got to meet her. What’s best about these car isn’t metal or rubber . . .
jfort
I am fortunate enough to have one made by Garold’s mom. What’s best about these cars isn’t metal or rubber. . . .

It was worth saying twice.
mepstein
QUOTE(jfort @ Dec 28 2023, 01:40 PM) *

I am fortunate enough to have one made by Garold’s mom. And I got to meet her. What’s best about these car isn’t metal or rubber . . .

agree.gif I have two. Selling one - pending- and keeping one.
GaroldShaffer
I still have the prototype mom made. A true treasure for me. wub.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(GaroldShaffer @ Dec 30 2023, 10:53 PM) *

I still have the prototype mom made. A true treasure for me. wub.gif

And we appreciate her part in the 914 community.
campbellcj
Love mine from many years ago! Great item for every 914 owner

IPB Image
PanelBilly
I bought two magnetic tool holders at a tool fair. They are wrapped in a soft vinyl so they don’t scratch the paint. I usually stick them on the targa bar and they are great for keeping the tools I’m using over and over handy. Much better than putting them down on the bench and having to hunt for them later. I also find them handy for holding nuts, bolts and washers. When I’m not using them they stick to the side of my tool box
Lucky9146
I know someone locally who lent me his which is one of Garold's mothers covers.

My wife copied it for me. I just talked to her and she is willing to hand make them.

Let me know of interest.
driving.gif white914.jpg

A couple pics on my car

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
fiacra
I'm on board for one or two of these. One for each car? Every time I lean over the engine bay I feel like I'm doing a strange type of yoga just to avoid touching the car with a zipper, button, tool, etc. I'm just not that flexible anymore. Keep me on the list, whoever decides to make them....
peteinjp
I want one too!

Pete
Quinn Moore
Yes,please. (1)
aktion035.gif
mlindner
Well, here's the first look at the improved version of Garold Shaffer mom's engine service cover, then on to Perry Kiehl and now, myself. After creating some improvements on the 914 Umbrella tops I'm pleased to have the opportunity further the design on the service covers. First is the new Softough marine grade polyester fabric with high UV and is mildew resistance. Softouch non-abrasive backing provides superior protection to your paint surface. Second is the design, I have both the shipping blanket and the short leatherette style and not thrilled with either. I was asked by Clay Perrine "make it a full cover and could it have magnets in all four corners so wind would not lift". That was the direction I was going with a few more twists, I've sewed the Polyester with the ribs up (not down on the paint) to create a work area so round objects ...Sockets will not roll off hitting the paint or on the floor. And yes magnets in all four corners and fits both stock and flared fenders. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Lucky9146
After posting the picture on the previous page of this thread, of the copy of Garold’s Mothers service cover that my wife can make, I received 2 PM’s expressing interest.

In an effort to support that we immediately ordered Black moving blankets
I want to repeat we are offering a direct copy of Garold’s Mothers original shipping blanket style. We fully recognize that @mlindner is offering his "improved" version, and he posted “in the process of making an improved version of the 914 service cover. It will cover the entire rear trunk with magnets in the corners. Should have a final product in a few weeks. Thanks, Mark”

We are not trying to take anything away from @mlindner and his “improved” cover. Please see his post description directly above. Order his if you want his “improved” cover.
Order ours if you want a copy of the original Garold's Mothers.

Start up
Our first order of BLACK blankets received were not to the quality of my wife’s liking and were returned. Trying to source BLACK again. The only local blankets of quality we have found are in BLUE. Harbor Freight used to be “the place” years ago but sadly their quality has gone way down, just like the ones we ordered on line.

While waiting for BLACK blankets my wife decided to make one from a BLUE blanket we had from years ago, still new in the package, to establish time to make it, and pricing.

I offered the first BLUE “Deck Lid Service Cover” to the first PM guy, and since he had a blue car, he was thrilled! Sold!

I offered a second BLUE “Deck Lid Service Cover” to the second PM and have had no response as yet.

We are offering a BLUE "Deck Lid Service Cover" for $150 plus $20 shipping continental US. Again, this is a hand-made direct copy of Garold’s Mothers cover.
NOTE: top quality ceramic magnets are used along the sides of the sail panels, are sewn in, and do not ride on the paint, but are strong enough to work through the fabric protecting the paint.
ALSO NOTE: She is offering with or without the pocket for the same price. Your choice. Personally, I have never used the pocket. See pictures.

Hoping she can get BLACK but she may end up only being able to provide in BLUE.
Either way, BLACK if and when we get it, or BLUE, the price will be $150 +$20 Shipping continental US. Payment is by Paypal only.

Shown Without Pocket

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Shown With Pocket
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mlindner
I do have the first 914 Service cover going to Clay Perrine for a test fit and critique. This is again a high end Polyester fabric with a soft backing and can be washed. These will be available in 30 days. Best MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mb911
How much are these now. I have one of Garold’s or maybe Perry’s and washed it last week. All good but wouldn’t mind picking up a few more
mlindner
Hi Ben, I also have Garolds. Love it, but most do not wash up well and need to line dry. The new version, oil and grease can be wiped off and washed in the summer and air dryed. The picture is the fact that the seams are on the up side...away from paint. Nice part about that it make a perfect work space the tools/sockets. Also has four magnets holding down when used outside.
Price will start out at $175.00 shipped CUSA. Best Mark
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jan 9 2024, 02:39 PM) *

I do have the first 914 Service cover going to Clay Perrine for a test fit and critique. This is again a high end Polyester fabric with a soft backing and can be washed. These will be available in 30 days. Best MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I just received it in the mail. I will be taking it into the garage and testing it out tomorrow morning. I have an original Mom's service cover to compare it with.

I will let everyone know what I think then.

Clay
mlindner
Hi Ben, I also have Perry's. I was going to make them out of the shipping blankets but if they get dirty they are hard to wash and worse to dry. So kinda a through away product. Mine will repell oil dirt and can be cleaned up and line dried. The new design has the ribbed edge to hold all tools in the working area and again magnets in the two corner wings for support. I'm going to market them under Mark-Werks for both the service cover and 914 Umbrella's. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
Last weekend we got the cover out and put it on the back of Elwood for evaluation.

Please note that all of the comments here are based on my opinions from experience using one of these.

Overall the workmanship is great, and the cover seems to be very durable.

The seam to keep things from rolling off is a great idea.

Click to view attachment

But what happens if something gets accidentally set down below the seam?

Make the length of the cover about 3 inches longer so it overlaps the rear of the decklid.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That way anything that rolls off the cover can't chip the paint on the rear of the decklid.

The magnets in the rear are good.

Click to view attachment

But they either need to be moved to the bottom of the cover or a couple of extra ones added to the bottom rear corners.

Click to view attachment

That will keep the lower flaps from flying up in the wind. I know that I have a couple of old magnets I put on the bottom corners of mine when I use it outside in the wind.

Click to view attachment

Betty's comment is "Do you have care and cleaning directions?"

mlindner
Hi Clay thanks for the review. That did come up a little short and after making it I was not happy with the four magnets...just seemed to be to clunky. Next thought was to just have two tabs to put under the trunk lid instead of the two additional magnets at the rear. Best, Mark
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jan 20 2024, 02:12 PM) *

Hi Clay thanks for the review. That did come up a little short and after making it I was not happy with the four magnets...just seemed to be to clunky. Next thought was to just have two tabs to put under the trunk lid instead of the two additional magnets at the rear. Best, Mark

I would move the magnets to the bottom corners on the side. That's where I put the additional ones with my current cover.

And I would like a finished one please.

Clay
mlindner
I can do that Clay, lower corner of the rear wings. Got it. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.