Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro Fog light replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bucci
Good evening gentlemen, I haven’t drilled down on any of the forms to find out the troubleshooting procedures.

1. I tested fog lights independently with 12 V source (working)
2. I hear the relay when I operate the highbeams.
3. All fuses appear to be good, I spun all the fuses under the dash for corrosion and connection.

My thought is the fog light switch may be bad, but it feels like all wires are connected. There is a green light that comes on when the switch is active

If anybody’s dealt with this lately. I need to check a Porsche manual to see what fuse is connected to the fog light circuit. I’m sure it’s one of the red ones.? I have brand new fuses in the glove box. I may replace them “all” but I did that 10 years ago. lol

Thanks,
Marc

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Spoke
Had the same issue. No fogs. Can hear the relay energize. Turns out the relay was bad. The contacts had oxidized and created a large resistance. Changed the relay and I was good to go.
Bucci
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 27 2023, 07:24 PM) *

Had the same issue. No fogs. Can hear the relay energize. Turns out the relay was bad. The contacts had oxidized and created a large resistance. Changed the relay and I was good to go.

Thank you sir, I pulled the relay and exchanged them with the headlight relay. One had a slight hesitation, and then started working, which one and did you recommend changing.? One, two or three..?

Damn little German gremlins…

Thanks

Click to view attachment

Bucci
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 27 2023, 07:24 PM) *

I’m slowly figuring out the relay assignment. Stillnot working.

Thank you, gentlemen…

The big round really on the right is a horn. The one to the far left is somehow related to ignition or maybe a headlights.?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Dave_Darling
Look to see which relay has the following wires plugged into it:
Red/Black (red with black tracer stripe)
Gray/Red
White/Yellow
White/Blue

That's the fog light relay. The white/yellow is the wire that feeds both fog lights.

--DD
porschetub
I fitted new set of Pilot driving lights and couldn't get them to work ,found the wiring from switch to headlight switch not connected ,they worked fine after that.
beer.gif
Bucci
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 28 2023, 11:39 AM) *

I fitted new set of Pilot driving lights and couldn't get them to work ,found the wiring from switch to headlight switch not connected ,they worked fine after that.
beer.gif

OK just getting home from work and going to check that now.

Keep the information coming. I’ll figure this out…

Click to view attachment

Bucci
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 28 2023, 12:37 AM) *

Gray/Red
White/Yellow
White/Blue

That's the fog light relay. The white/yellow is the wire that feeds both fog lights.

--DD

Dave, thank you for your expertise. I’m still in the hunt but getting closer..!

Tonight I was able to energize the fog lights manually by pressing down inside the round relay after pulling the round relay cover off.

What I’ve deducted is there’s possibly a grounding wire on the column stalk switch or headlight switch that signals the fog light relay to be energized. I think there’s an issue with the headlight switch or maybe the fog light switch wire has come off the main headlight switch..???

I probably should look at a wiring schematic to see what color wire goes from the fog light switch to the main headlight switch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Bucci
QUOTE(Bucci @ Dec 28 2023, 08:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 28 2023, 12:37 AM) *

Gray/Red
White/Yellow
White/Blue

--DD

Dave, thank you for your expertise. I’m still in the hunt but getting closer..!

Tonight I was able to energize the fog lights manually by pressing down inside the round relay after pulling the round relay cover off.

What I’ve deducted is there’s possibly a grounding wire on the column stalk switch or headlight switch that signals the fog light relay to be energized. I think there’s an issue with the headlight switch or maybe the fog light switch wire has come off the main headlight switch..???

I probably should look at a wiring schematic to see what color wire goes from the fog light switch to the main headlight switch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

12-29-23
Tonight I was able to remove the emergency lighting switch from behind the dash face and I removed the headlight switch from the back of the dash face. Both switches appear to be operating normal, and all wires are intact.

Also, I removed and inspected the turn signal and emergency flasher relay that is mounted on a sheet metal lip underneath the dash behind all the switches to the left of the steering column. I found an article online to diagnose and repair the relay, which I believe is working correctly.

This is for reference only. http://katdash.com/wp-content/uploads/2016...a2479-short.pdf.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My next course of action is to remove the steering wheel and horn ring then replace the steering column “stock-switch” that is used to activate turn signals and headlight “brights”.

I’ll have todo that sometime next week. Tomorrow morning I’m headed down to (San Diego) to Gillespie Field airport to help a Buddy change oil and check tires on a 1950 Cessna 170’ passenger airplane.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.