Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 conversions who has done one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
I'm about to upgrade my 2.2/6 to a 3.2. Who can chime in with tips or tricks. I am running carbs now with all stock 6 conversion equipment. Do I need a bigger oil tank, .. Do I need a oil cooler upfront. What about engine tin is it the same. I plan on keeping the stock 914 trans what do I need for flywheel. I breifly talked to Dave at GPR and he said the 914 trans worked fine, didnt have time for more questions as he was busy.
3.2 owners or maybe even 3.6 converts give me advice

Thanks for any help
Marv's3.6six
Do I need a bigger oil tank, No .. Do I need a oil cooler upfront. No what do I need for flywheel Depends on if Carbed or Motronic 3.2 owners or maybe even 3.6 converts 3.2 is very fast........might wanna think about upgrading front brakes at the least. I highly recommend Jim Patrick at Patrick Motorsports, he can supply just about everything your gonna need. I had a quick 3.2, I am in process of making a wicked fast 3.6 914GT style AX monster.
736conver
My front brakes should be good enough already, 944 Turbo calipers with 19 MC. I was planning on going bigger with my 2.2 so I just did overkill on the brakes right away.
I am going with the motronic.
Bleyseng
Talk with Brad Roberts about it as he has done many of these conversions.

IronHillRestorations
You will love your 914 with a 3.2 engine! If the oil system is correctly set up, then you shouldn't have any problems with the larger engine, but you will need some different oil lines and have the 3.2's oil cooler modified. You may need a auxillary oil cooler, especially if you do track events. A fair number of 3.2's (with Motronic that is) don't have a secondary cooler, and seem to work fine in a street car, Dave Shepard's car is one.

I've never had the good fortune of building a 3.2 Motronic conversion, but the parts are available for a fairly bolt on conversion. If I remember right, there's a kit (Marty Schneider maybe?) to relocate the airbox using one of those cone airfilters. You'll also need a mount for the DME pickup, and a conversion flywheel for DME. If you are going with carbs, then you have other options and don't need the special DME adapter stuff. Personally, I'd definately choose the Motronic injection; turn the key and go - no idle jets to worry about- no speed buggy poppity pop of the carbs when cold - blah - blah - blah!
736conver
What needs to be done to the 3.2's oil cooler. I am going with the motronic system. These carbs on my 2.2 can be annoying. I PM'd Brad about this conversion. Hopefully he will chime in and give some details. just trying to gather as much info as possible.
Trekkor
You shouldn't have any trouble selling the 2.2 motor.

I'm putting a front cooler in my 2.0 powered car just to be sure.

There's a very experienced 914-6 racer out here that runs his 2.2 with a cooler and no thermostat.
NEVER overheats.

I'll use a thermostat, though.

KT
736conver
Yea I dont think I will have problems selling it. Its helping pay for the 3.2, so it better sell. I need to get some compression numbers and leakdown before I put it up for sale though.
Brad just replied to my PM with some answers. Here's his reply to me.

It is actually going to be a pretty easy swap. You will need to have the stock 3.2 flywheel and buy the adapter kit from KEP to use a "push" clutch.

The stock 6 engine tin bolts righ on. The current oil cooler you re using will bolt onto the 3.2. The front engine mount you are using will bolt on also.

Stock 6 heat exchangers work fine on a 3.2 also. I normally use this setup with some kind of "spot" muffler. Not a race version, but a "Dansk" street sport.

The biggest issue will be wiring it up to use the motronic. You may also need to change the fuel pump. I dont know what you have now, but your best bet is to get a 3.2 fuel pump and plumb it in. It will be strait forward.
Marv's3.6six
901 trans housing will need to be notched for flywheel sensors needed for Motronic flywheel.

I ran 1 5/8" headers and a gutted Dansk, versus stock heat exchangers for more zoom zoom!

Oil cooler mods may not be necessary depending on intended use.

I would recommend Steve Wong for a custom 3.2 chip @ 911chips.com
Joe Bob
I still think any 3.0 or over will need a cooler....as to FI...keep it.

BTW....I make a dual program 3.6 chip for the non-varioram motors...flip the switch, stock...flip it again....mondo performance....mostly for smog cars that need the ability to be in stock mode or for areas that don't have steady supplies of gud high octane fuel.....
Ferg
My 3.2 was finished in April of this year, my mocal cooler is located in back under the trunk, I saw 230 oil temp in 99 degree heat on the highway so I have a little cooling problem, I have since built a snorkel to direct some fresh air to it, but this winter I will be moving it up front. Since I built the snorkel I have not seen over 215 but it has not been as hot mostly 80's. Moab next month will be the big test. I "helped" with my install but did not do much of the techincal work specifically the electrical. My DME is behind the pass seat mounted to the firewall, I'm still using the 901 box, new flywheel with the stage two kennedy clutch kit. I have 911 "S" brakes up front and 911 rears. 911 cv's and stock oil tank.

I plan on moving the cooler up front this winter

Oh and like others have said. It rules burnout.gif

Ferg
Maltese Falcon
Brian, the cone air filter / adapter housing and 1.625" exhaust headers always availble to 914club members below wholesale. Just PM me when you are ready for the parts biggrin.gif
Marty
736conver
Brian, the cone air filter / adapter housing and 1.625" exhaust headers always availble to 914club members below wholesale. Just PM me when you are ready for the parts  
Marty
PM sent
Steve
I built my 3.2 six 5 years ago.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Great conversion highly recommended.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.