Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car storage question: Wax on? Wax off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
technicalninja
I'm prepping a car for long term storage.

Under a car port but exposed to the elements and pests from the order "rodentia".

Going to get a healthy dose of mothballs.
Cleaned and waxed before it goes.

Should I buff it or leave it as is?

Right now "Wax on- Heavy"

Geezer914
Don't forget to pull the plugs and fog the cylinders, change the oil and filter. If less than a year fill the tank and add Staron or Staybill. If longer, drain the tank, remove it from the car and coat the inside with some trans oil and store inside. Last, remove the battery, and put the car up on blocks.
technicalninja
No drive train but thanks for the input.
Cairo94507
Not sure I understand, you say it is waxed but question to "buff it". If you mean, remove the "hazed" wax, my answer is yes. If you mean do you machine buff it, I say no.

Even though I keep my car in our garage, under a cover, I still uncover it regularly, pop the engine lid, look around and every couple months used compressed air in the engine compartment to make sure I don't have any "unhoused" trying to "squat". It is one of my nightmares. confused24.gif
technicalninja
Yes, remove the hazed wax by hand with the world's softest multi-used cloth diaper...
I can make it look GREAT.
I'm thinking of leaving the excessive wax on the car now as the thickness of the wax is probably 10 times thicker than it will be buffed.

The ONLY thing I'm after with this job is protection without damage.

Water beads the same.
It just doesn't slide off.
Car will be protected from direct rainfall.

Car may be subject to what I call hanger rash and I'd like to be the most protected it can be without increasing expense.

Why do you think hand buffing is the answer?
Part of me agrees.
Part of me doesn't.

Hence my post...
iankarr
Yes to wax…but just a hand job smile.gif If you like the smell of mothballs. Go for it, but you may find it hard to get that smell out. I use an ultrasonic repellent box and bait traps. Agree that periodic inspections are important too.
peteinjp
I say take off any excess wax. My reasoning is that having to buff a car that may have collected dirt after sitting for a long time as that may might invite scratches.
Superhawk996
Mothball smell sucks!

This smells like a super strong pine / balsam oil smell.

Keeps mice out of cars that I keep parked in the “field”. Haven’t had any mice problems yet. Replace after a couple months when smell starts to fade.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Dec 28 2023, 05:59 PM) *

I say take off any excess wax. My reasoning is that having to buff a car that may have collected dirt after sitting for a long time as that may might invite scratches.

Yes, all you’re going to do is invite contaminants into the wax, then when you go to wash or buff it out, the dried wax will hold it, scratching as you remove.

Get a good cover, keep it clean, keep the car clean is the best way to store…
technicalninja
Thanks!

It's buffed now and the mothballs are just going in the engine compartment to deter wire nibbling.
I've sealed the interior and I'm not worried about rodents inside.
Garland
I use in each compartment, a few clothes dryer sheets. Rodents don’t like the fragrant odor. Worked for years.
technicalninja
And, after getting this ready for storage a mistake was made loading it on a trailer and it now needs rt front fender and rt door repair...

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
peteinjp
Oh man- so sorry to hear that……

Pete
wonkipop
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 29 2023, 12:01 AM) *

And, after getting this ready for storage a mistake was made loading it on a trailer and it now needs rt front fender and rt door repair...

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

tell me this is not the 75 L - Jet?
mlindner
If storing out side, I would have a 914 umbrella cover to keep water out of window seals and floor. Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Dec 29 2023, 02:10 AM) *

Oh man- so sorry to hear that……

Pete

agree.gif hissyfit.gif
technicalninja
Nope, no Porsches were damaged in the creation of this thread.

This is the car in question:
https://granburyautoac.com/2004-mazda-speed-miata/

I built it for my friend Leonard; he had me do many, many, mods on the car.
In the last year it's gotten a Wilwood BBK on the front and 2K worth of new wheels and tires.

From the first time I returned it to service I claimed "right of first refusal" as part of the price of the job.

In a moment of in-attention he melted the engine and then offered it to me at a price that I could not refuse.

I was moving it BACK to his business as he also offered storage as I didn't have room for it in my shop. He's a good friend...

Now, in a moment of in-attention I seriously damaged it for the first time and he WILL NOT give me a break on the heckling he will deliver.

Exactly in the same way I'll not ever forget him pumping 12 gallons of DEF into his brand new truck.

I worried the trailer would be too narrow, I should have had another person to spot.

I had premonition of disaster. My squirrel-o-meter was going off and I didn't heed it.

The correct way of doing this was to call Acorn Towing and have it flatbeded to Leonard's shop.

Trying to save $125 I was a freaking dumb ass and caused 1K worth of damage on a car with three stage red paint. Metallic base, translucent red with a pearl gloss coat.
That's maybe the HARDEST color to match, it's spent most of its life outdoors, it's faded a bit and I'm just fucked...
peteinjp
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 30 2023, 12:19 PM) *

Nope, no Porsches were damaged in the creation of this thread.

This is the car in question:
https://granburyautoac.com/2004-mazda-speed-miata/

I built it for my friend Leonard; he had me do many, many, mods on the car.
In the last year it's gotten a Wilwood BBK on the front and 2K worth of new wheels and tires.

From the first time I returned it to service I claimed "right of first refusal" as part of the price of the job.

In a moment of in-attention he melted the engine and then offered it to me at a price that I could not refuse.

I was moving it BACK to his business as he also offered storage as I didn't have room for it in my shop. He's a good friend...

Now, in a moment of in-attention I seriously damaged it for the first time and he WILL NOT give me a break on the heckling he will deliver.

Exactly in the same way I'll not ever forget him pumping 12 gallons of DEF into his brand new truck.

I worried the trailer would be too narrow, I should have had another person to spot.

I had premonition of disaster. My squirrel-o-meter was going off and I didn't heed it.

The correct way of doing this was to call Acorn Towing and have it flatbeded to Leonard's shop.

Trying to save $125 I was a freaking dumb ass and caused 1K worth of damage on a car with three stage red paint. Metallic base, translucent red with a pearl gloss coat.
That's maybe the HARDEST color to match, it's spent most of its life outdoors, it's faded a bit and I'm just fucked...

Insert full repaint and appending slippery slope here…..
technicalninja
I know!

Lucky for me, the damage is lower rt fender, behind the front wheel, slightly into the rt door. Deep gouge via the side rails of a narrow trailer. It's really low, on the side I won't see often, and I have a wizard regarding paint.

If anyone can match it, Wrangler can.

https://www.wranglersartinmotion.com/

The Hard Dog roll bar I installed for Leonard was match painted to the red 5 years ago by Wrangler. He did a kick ass job, looked "dipped" but it is a tiny bit darker than the car.
Worked fine for a separate roll bar but it might not on the body.

If I could kick my own ass I would!
peteinjp
Kid next door hit a home run- and it went right though my garage window and sprayed window glass all over my low miles 964…..

Even though its has been an indoor car the paint is still not exactly the same as original. But I dont want to do a full windows out job so I found a guy locally that will blend the paint and clear coat and polish as needed. Fingers crossed but I think I finally found my guy.

It’s hard to find a good paint guy where I am-in Japan, but from texas where I’m from they are out there. Hopefully Wrangler will sort things out for you.

Pete
technicalninja
Wow, super nice car gets nailed INSIDE its garage.

There's one you could NOT see coming!

So, did the kids parents act in a responsible manner?
If not, homeowners or cars insurance?
That would be a strange insurance claim...

What part of Texas?

Rick
peteinjp
Yes - they were super cool and they had insurance so the car is in for paint right now. The window facing my neighbors house now has safety glass….

Click to view attachment

I grew up in Austin but left in ‘90. I started off working on cars there and got into bmw 2002s and older bmw bikes. Left Texas on an R90… man was life simple when all you own can fit on the back of a bike.

Headed to Round Rock right now to see my Dad.

Pete
technicalninja
Nice looking car!

One of the last cars my dad had was a 94 964 Speedster, same red as your car.
This car had the Recaro Carbon Fiber seats. You MUST have a waist below 40" to fit.
For me, it would have been most comfortable NAKED!
I couldn't have ANYTHING in my pockets before I sat down in the car.
19K, pretty much perfect car.
I was always super apprehensive when I drove it...
We were overly cautious with it.

He also had a 95 C4s, 200k when the odometer stopped long before he bought it.
Hard top, beat to death, ugly ass grey, many issues.
The passenger door looked like it had been attacked by a run-away weed eater or a crazed wolverine!
This thing was a roach of the first order. His wife named it "Hobbit".

Hobbit was the single most fun Porsche 911 I've ever driven. You could "drive it like you stole it" because it LOOKED that way!
Beater 964s should never be passed up.
Wish he still had both today.
He had a Convertible D when I was born. That's another I wish had stayed...

One time, when I was leaving the Porsche dealership with a tiny bag of hardware for it, I thought, wow, these parts are MORE expensive than Kay Jewlers by weight!

Back to MSM.

I "fixed" the damage to the point I can now open the door.

Got about 80% of the damage cleared.

My oldest son received a "professional level" airbrush set up for Christmas from his wife.

He says the control is good enough that he can write in cursive with it, and it looks like a ball point pen.

We're going to test that puppy out!

Most of the damage is in an anti-rock chip textured area which should make the repairs far less critical. It's very low on the passenger's side.

If it had to happen it's best it happened where it did.

Would have been much better to AVOID altogether!

Have a Happy New Year!
r_towle
While you may think the rodents won't get inside...they will (amazing drive to get inside somehow)

I would suggest you get a single box of bounce fabric softeners for the dryer.

Lay them everywhere inside...include the glove box, which you should leave open.

Don't put moth balls inside the car...you will regret that for many years.

I put mothballs on cookie sheets underneath the car also...build a bit of a fortress around the edge that smells worse than any other option...

Rich
technicalninja
I've made sheet metal block off plates for the openings left after drivetrain removal.
Verified recirc door locked in recirc.
Moth balls will be hanging from strut tower brace in the exact center of the engine compartment.

I wasn't planning on putting anything IN the car at all.

One of the nicest things about this car is the interior.

Leonard spent BIG BUCKS on custom perforated red center inserts on MSM leather seat covers. MSMs came black and red cloth or black leather with red stitching only.
This one's black and red leather with red stitching.
I think they were Catskins...

The mods in the interior are mostly transparent and appear "Factory" as best as I could.

I'm freaking paranoid regarding rodent intrusion into this car.
Rats LOVE leather!

Yep, getting a big box of fabric softener sheets now!

Thanks @r_towle

Actually, lots of folks mentioned "don't put mothballs in car."
Many offered suggestions, including dryer sheets.
I had already made the fabric softener decision before r_towle posted.
I once had a customer car in here that had 4 pantyhose bags of mothballs hanging.
Didn't really notice it with the shop OPEN.
Next morning walked into a CLOUD!
OMG! full venting, all doors open, all fans on...
And then I found out why.
He'd had TWO cars totaled due to rats...
His insurance company denied "comprehensive" for his address.
Since stinky ass mothballs, no problems at all. He did not have a garage and has to park outside (carport).

[size=2]THANK YOU ALL!
[size=1]
rhodyguy
Take the bumpers off….Wax on.
Shivers
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 28 2023, 09:00 PM) *

Thanks!

It's buffed now and the mothballs are just going in the engine compartment to deter wire nibbling.

The mice came up under the tank and chewed through the ventilation tube and got inside. They stripped my sheepskin’s of the fur and made a real nice home for themselves.
technicalninja
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 2 2024, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Dec 28 2023, 09:00 PM) *

Thanks!

The mice came up under the tank and chewed through the ventilation tube and got inside. They stripped my sheepskin’s of the fur and made a real nice home for themselves.

Oh, I know, rodents are masters at "getting inside"
I think I have it sealed up pretty good. I have the complete drivetrain out and for all the rodent capable holes I made 18 gauge galvanized metal block off plates that are secured with bolts/nuts.

The reason it's getting "mothballed" is to allow room to work on the 75 1.8 914 I have...
The Miata needs an engine (which I have, forged everything), the teener does not. It's going first!
Sadly, the teener will RTS (return to service) with 60-65 RWHP. The Miata will be over 300 the next time it moves under its own power. It weighs about 200 lbs more than the 914.
I will do my best to have the Miata back in closed storage asap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.