Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Rack Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
Are there any tips or tricks to reinstalling the steering rack?

I rebuilt ours and attempted to get it back in over the weekend. I could never get the shaft from the steering rack to align well enough with the universal joint to insert it. I was in the passenger compartment and had a helper under the car supporting the rack. With the bellows, gasket, etc. on there it took a little bit of effort to hold it up far enough to meet the bottom of the knuckle joint. The joint is still attached to the upper shaft connected to the steering wheel.

Nothing on the rack other than what is shown. The bolt is out of the universal joint. The gas tank is out. The bearing support bracket (in the gas tank area) is removed. All of the suspension is out. So the only thing I'm really contending with in terms of clearance is the brake master cylinder.

Is this just a try, try again scenario, or am I overlooking something? Seems like it should be a 10 minute job.
Click to view attachment
jhynesrockmtn
I did this, I guess I say last year now. I first tried a few ways to do it myself with some supports, zip ties, etc. No go. Had a buddy come over, took a few minutes. I'm not sure what might be going wrong in your case. Sounds like just the scenario I had. I'd say try again. I had to make a few adjustments to the steering wheel to get it perfectly centered once everything was back together.
burton73
I have done this a few times. It is not an easy fit, but it is much easier with a partner. You must massage it till it fits. It must go in just so and that can take a few stabs. If you get tired, rest for a moment, and take another stab at it.

Best Bob B

iankarr
Def a 2 person job. The tough part is that it’s difficult to get any leverage to push the splined piece into the coupler insider the car. Recommend either wedging the coupler open, or using a pry bar to widen it so the splines can more easily slide in. You can then use a vise grip to squeeze it together and get the bolt through.
rgalla9146

Don't forget the lipped collar on the gastank side of the bulkhead smile.gif
DennisV
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 2 2024, 09:22 AM) *

Don't forget the lipped collar on the gastank side of the bulkhead smile.gif

Number 32 in the diagram? Not shown in my original photo, but the bearing (#26) and the collar (#32) are on there, and adding to the challenge of seating things I think. Probably doesn't help that it is old and a little bit deformed. NLA.

BTW - Best I can tell there should only be the bearing (#26) and the bracket (#27) securing things in the gas tank area. No additional rubber mounting (#30) which seems to go the same place the needle bearing is?
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.