Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there an easy way to get these off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thunderchief
I want to repaint them but getting my fat hands underneath is challenging. Is there an easy way to get these grills off?
Mikey914
The grills have pins that have press washers on them. You need to use 2 small pty tools to walk them off.
Craigers17
To my recollection, I used a pair of pliars or Lineman's pliars, grabbed hold and just pulled them off. I destroyed the push on nuts, but they are so old and degraded, I think that's probably gonna be par for the course.
914Sixer
My go to tool
rhodyguy
Just fold the push on nuts in half with a pair of pliers and get new nuts. Takes seconds. The nuts are more than likely as old as the car. Rusted up inside. The key is not to destroy the pins on the grills. Removing the battery buys you lots of room. Replace the small piece of grill welting while ‘you’re in there’. One of those jobs where project creep sets in.
Shivers
I tried to save them and broke a pin. After that I used a pair of small cutters and just cut the nut it self loose and walked them off. They were rubber coated so I had to make sure I got through both that and the steel.
Superhawk996
Forked trim removal tool like 914sixer posted. Rock back and forth - walking it off the pin.
76-914
They will spin off with very little downward force. Just like unscrewing a nut. This way the pins aren't stressed and the nut is reusable. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Thunderchief @ Jan 1 2024, 11:47 PM) *

I want to repaint them but getting my fat hands underneath is challenging. Is there an easy way to get these grills off?

squeeze them with pliers ruining them and then replace with new http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Engine-...9950722040.html
Mikey914
The metal pins on the grill will not break as easily as the letters, so you don’t have to treat too gingerly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.