Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Can someone tell me what the correct size and length allen wrench used for setting the venting clearance and is it done before or after all the bleeding has been done?

Thanks
Porsche Rescue
4mm, not sure of length but extension required for inner. Not sure about other answers. Waiting to hear from others.
Joe Bob
The skyrat board has a tech article....

click me
mihai914
Yes that article is a good reference, the correct clearance is .004" and not .008 as stated in most manuals.

I would do it after bleeding the brakes, and to back up the .004 clearance I've heard numerous times the Cap'n stating that the factory workshop manual was wrong but they never corrected it, they did send some sort of TSB though.
SLITS
Allan

1. Set the 0.004" clearance...

2. Bleed the system

3. check clearance again

4. 4 mm 3/8" socket allen wrench on an extension will suffice for the rears (that's why the hole in the trailing arm is big).

Allan
Got it...

Thanks!
SGB
Even after trueing my rotors started dragging just a bit at that 4mm setting. I backed out another mm 'cause I figured it would just exacerbate the problem to heat up dragging. So the dragging hasn't returned- i don't think the rotors got any more out of true- but 4mm was maybe 50 cm too close for me. I think the 8mm compromised pedal feel for more manufacturing tolerence....
Eric_Shea
I hope you mean .004 and .008 laugh.gif

1/8" to 1/4" is a bit much in the clearance dept. w00t.gif
Allan
I just pulled my front brake pads out and they actually look pretty good but I'm going to replace them for piece of mind anyway.

Question is, I can't find these retaining clips anywhere on the calipers.
SLITS
Most are missing from calipers and I don't know if you can purchase them. Will look and see if I can find some on the cores.
Allan
Are they critical? I have had no problems with the fronts at all...
mihai914
QUOTE (Headrage @ Aug 21 2005, 01:36 PM)
Are they critical? I have had no problems with the fronts at all...

I don't think they are, their purpose is to keep the piston at a certain angle 20 or 30° can't remember so that it applies uniform pressure to the pad.

It may be a dealer only item, usually you get them in rebuild kits.
SLITS
Not critical
Allan
I just checked my new /6 rear rotors on the car and the holes for the little set screws don't line up.

IIRC Aarons rears are not held on with these screws either.

Can I get by without them????
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.