Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coat removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Freezin 914
Have a a couple sets of wheels I would like to powder coat. Best method the remove the old powder coat? Removing from Factory Fuchs and a set of Panosports for what it’s worth.
Bead blast? Chemical? Pretty sure sand blast would be out, any one with any experience with this?

Thank you.
NotLance
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jan 2 2024, 07:19 PM) *

Have a a couple sets of wheels I would like to powder coat. Best method the remove the old powder coat? Removing from Factory Fuchs and a set of Panosports for what it’s worth.
Bead blast? Chemical? Pretty sure sand blast would be out, any one with any experience with this?

Thank you.

I've had to remove powdercoat from small parts before - was able to use our shop's bead blaster and it worked well.

Sand Blast could work but you would have to have the correct media in it. Will be a pain for something as large as a wheel, let alone a whole set.

Never used chemical methods so I cant speak to that end.
rick 918-S
Paint stripper.
Krieger
Has anyone used heat? Propane torch?
mepstein
The cleanest way that I’ve used to remove PC is to drop the part in boiling water. Then use a plastic scraper to remove it while hot. I wear a pair of thick chemical gloves,
I wouldn’t blast Fuchs. Especially not with sand.
Good chemical stripper works but be prepared for a mess.
iankarr
Eastwood makes a stripper specifically for powder coat called “Dekote”. Works great. You can see me use it in this video at 6:00.
https://youtu.be/F-5Xpug52Qw?si=2em60xAOBOHsI7K6
technicalninja
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 3 2024, 07:46 AM) *

The cleanest way that I’ve used to remove PC is to drop the part in boiling water. Then use a plastic scraper to remove it while hot. I wear a pair of thick chemical gloves,
I wouldn’t blast Fuchs. Especially not with sand.
Good chemical stripper works but be prepared for a mess.

Thanks, mepstein!

I've had hell with PC removal, and I will try your method next time.

Was watching this thread for tips like that!

Wasn't aware of a dedicated PC remover either...

Thanks Ian!
Mikey914
I've used soda blasting and it works great. Chemical may be easier for you if you don't have one local.
Freezin 914
Asked a local shop, they said the would heat them (500 degrees) then blast, then recoat. Obviously would like to not damage the wheels, whether it be heat, or chemical. As we all know Fuchs are expensive, and the panosports aren’t far behind.

Thank you all for the input. I will be doing a bit more research and will refer to this thread as well.
gms
Lance you can bring them down to my shop, have a strip tank and can powdercoat as well
Freezin 914
QUOTE(gms @ Jan 7 2024, 05:52 PM) *

Lance you can bring them down to my shop, have a strip tank and can powdercoat as well

Awesome! I am going to take you up on that! Thank you Glen
@gms
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.