Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finding paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Deusexmachina77
I hate resorting to this site for obvious questions. But I have scoured the internet for a couple of cans of custom color-matching spray paint, and I have come up empty.

I have a 1976, and my color code is L31M.

I don't have a spray gun, but I could purchase one. I have a compressor.
I'm only repairing my front trunk; one can of paint should be plenty.

Please recommend where I can order the paint from.

Thanks,
Victor

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Get a small can of your paint and reducer, then one of these:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/pai...738?store=15101

Works surprisingly well.
Olympic 914
https://touchupdirect.com/search.php?search_query=L31m

Just bought some touchup paint from them.
Someone else on here recommended them.

Mine looks to be a match.

They sell spray cans, touchup pens, and regular paint.

You have to put in Volkswagen. Though and then your paint code.
DennisV
QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Jan 5 2024, 03:14 PM) *

I hate resorting to this site for obvious questions. But I have scoured the internet for a couple of cans of custom color-matching spray paint, and I have come up empty.

When you say "spray paint" do you mean a rattle can? I have purchased from Automotive Touchup. It is convenient, as they already have a lot of Porsche listings. It is not an exact match, but what would be after 50 years? Here's a photo of Adriatic Blue where I cleaned up some rust in our engine bay.

Click to view attachment
flat4guy
I used touchupdirect for my signal orange it was a perfect match.
MikeK
I imagine Chicago has dozens of automotive paint supply houses.

I use a local supplier, English Color. The girls there are so nice, helpful and knowledgeable that I couldn't imagine doing some of the paintwork I've done without them. Whenever I need a bit of primer, paint, tape, sandpaper or whatever, they are always there to give me advice based on my budget and what I'm trying to accomplish. The color matches have been spot on (the machine gets close, but it really takes a trained eye and the proper light) and if it isn't, they make it right.

Personal contacts are just as helpful in the restoration World as they are in the Porsche community.

Superhawk996
Any local automotive paint supply house can mix paint either by color code or by color scanning off an existing panel. The headlamp cover is easy to remove and is big enough to scan and capture what the paint has faded to.

Color match with never be perfect without blending to other panels but color scan can get amazingly close.

There are many supply houses that can custom mix as 2k urethane / epoxy and put it into a SprayMax can that sprays an amazing pattern. Great for small repairs

Likewise you can get SprayMax 2k primer either off the shelf at paint supply or order on Amazon.

I really love SprayMax 2k primer because it eliminates the need for mixing, and spray gun clean up. Just fix a little area, shoot with primer to prevent flash rusting, move on to next area. If you don’t use it all that day, it will keep in the can for another 2-3 days before it hardens.
BENBRO02
Scarlet red paint is expensive (any red is). If you think you’d be happy with less than professional results, go for it. It’s fun to learn. If my hood needed paint work, I think I would paint it flat black until the whole car could be resprayed.
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jan 5 2024, 06:32 PM) *

https://touchupdirect.com/search.php?search_query=L31m

Just bought some touchup paint from them.
Someone else on here recommended them.

Mine looks to be a match.

They sell spray cans, touchup pens, and regular paint.

You have to put in Volkswagen. Though and then your paint code.

You know more than customer service because they could not help me. The VW search did the trick. Thank you!
Deusexmachina77
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 5 2024, 06:10 PM) *

Get a small can of your paint and reducer, then one of these:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/pai...738?store=15101

Works surprisingly well.

I've used thatbefore. I found a Sherwin-Williams Auto Paint store nearby, and I plan to make a visit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.