Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - Front Turn Signal Lens Fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom1394racing
Doing a 914 front turn signal for the first time and something seems wrong with the fit of the lens to the body. There is a large gap between the lens and the body all along the perimeter of the lens. The seal fits both the body and the lens nicely but the gap does not seem right to me. What am I doing wrong here?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BENBRO02
I think you need to install the bucket first and then put the gasket between it and the lens. Your gaskets also look very thick compared to what I remember.
wonkipop
the gasket is a "shadow line" detail.
and you have to be careful not to overtighten the screws and bend the lens (it can break).
gasket does seem a little thicker than factory - maybe a repro?
but it should sit slightly gapped with the gasket recessed.
wonkipop
to assist for reference.

orig factory part spares that i have never taken apart and have had in the box for 30+ years. they come in box as complete units assembled.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

original to car.
only been apart when first put it on road in aus 30+ years back.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Looks like aftermarket gasket.
Tom1394racing
Well....I am not sure what to think. I bought two sets of gasket seals. One from Stoddard and another form 914 Rubber. Both seem identical and both look like the original factory spares shown in the above reply.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Jan 6 2024, 07:27 PM) *

Well....I am not sure what to think. I bought two sets of gasket seals. One from Stoddard and another form 914 Rubber. Both seem identical and both look like the original factory spares shown in the above reply.

maybe this will help.
i think it was literally 30 years ago i last had these off.
the bulbs have lasted. beer.gif beerchug.gif
but i do remember it was a bit like screwing the tail light lenses back on my old type 3 squareback. you had to tighten them to get the gasket to compress but you had to go oh so gently with the screws. a little bit at the top. then a little bit at the bottom.
(i learned my lesson breaking a few type 3 hella lenses back in the day when you could get hella lenses and they weren't NOS rare stock etc (= extortion exchange rates etc). biggrin.gif

as you can see in this photo of mine the lens is very slightly bowed.
but its enough to compress the seal.
(and i swear the last time this lens got touched was way back in about 1993)..

Click to view attachment

i had a bit of a look on BAT for you.
some very good photo galleries.
seems similar fitment on some very good condition restored cars.
just slightly bowed to clamp the seal down not at all different to how mine is.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

whatever you do just go real real easy.
i am sure the lens can split along the the join line and its there even in the pure amber lenses (where the split was for the euro lens as well). i remember thats where my old type three lenses would go ka pow if i got over zealous screwing it down. and they do need to be screwed down a little bit. similar kind of rounded gasket seal on all those old VWs light lenses.

beerchug.gif good luck. should work. i think gasket is ok. just needs to squash. a tiny bit.
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 6 2024, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom1394racing @ Jan 6 2024, 07:27 PM) *

maybe this will help.
i think it was literally 30 years ago i last had these off.
the bulbs have lasted. beer.gif beerchug.gif
but i do remember it was a bit like screwing the tail light lenses back on my old type 3 squareback. you had to tighten them to get the gasket to compress but you had to go oh so gently with the screws. a little bit at the top. then a little bit at the bottom.
(i learned my lesson breaking a few type 3 hella lenses back in the day when you could get hella lenses and they weren't NOS rare stock etc (= extortion exchange rates etc). biggrin.gif

as you can see in this photo of mine the lens is very slightly bowed.
but its enough to compress the seal.
(and i swear the last time this lens got touched was way back in about 1993)..

Click to view attachment

i had a bit of a look on BAT for you.
some very good photo galleries.
seems similar fitment on some very good condition restored cars.
just slightly bowed to clamp the seal down not at all different to how mine is.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

whatever you do just go real real easy.
i am sure the lens can split along the the join line and its there even in the pure amber lenses (where the split was for the euro lens as well). i remember thats where my old type three lenses would go ka pow if i got over zealous screwing it down. and they do need to be screwed down a little bit. similar kind of rounded gasket seal on all those old VWs light lenses.

beerchug.gif good luck. should work. i think gasket is ok. just needs to squash. a tiny bit.

Thanks for all your help. It does seem like my seals are much too thick. Even though I bought them from different suppliers, they’re probably from the same manufacturing source. I might try trimming them a bit to see if I can reduce the gap. Anyone have an alternative source for the seals?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.