Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member/Seeking Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Fargos914
Hello -
I'm a new 914 owner by way of inheritance. My father-in-law passed recently, and his '71 914 is being handed down to my sons and me. This is a very special car to our family, and it will never leave us.

He received the car as a graduation gift in 1971, and picked it up at the factory in Germany. After tooling around Europe for the summer, the car came back with him to Ann Arbor, MI, and within the next couple of years made its way to California, where it has been ever since.

Originally a euro-spec base 1.7 with MFI, when the car was refreshed 10 or so years ago, it was upgraded with 2.0L heads, and a dual carburetor setup. It's a "driver" restoration, and I drove it for the first time a few weeks ago. The car is garaged, never sees a wet road, and since refurbishment, there is no rust. The battery is set on a battery tender, and despite not being driven for a few months, it fired right up.

Throughout its life (including its refurbishment), the car was serviced by PorBoys in Oakland; my intention is to continue to have it maintained there (although the shop has now moved to Pacheco). I would much appreciate if anyone has any feedback on the shop... My father-in-law's experience was always good; but I'm not sure of the last time he had any service completed, or if the shop is still around. I'd also be open to any recommendations in the east bay (CA) if folks know of a good shop.

Thank you in advance - and I look forward to being part of the 914 community!
Spoke
welcome.png

Sounds like an awesome car and cool family history.
Mikey914
Nice on your decision to keep it in the family.
I would learn to do the basics, change the oil and whatever you fell comfortable with. These cars generally don’t need much.
I’d be happy to shoot you a copy of the maintenance manual. Just PM me where to send it.

You are in the right place, welcome to 914world welcome.png
Jeff_72
@Fargos914

I know there are a number of Pleasanton area 914 owners that will have some good recommendations/advice. There was a recent meeting at the old Zorns on Hopyard a few months back. Would be a good group to get to know, and in NorCal you are surrounded by some of the best builders and know how there is for these cars.

I may have developed my love of 914's based on your dads car. I grew up in Pleasanton in the 70's and 80's, and remember a couple of them around back in the day.

Great car and family history with that car. Glad you love it as much as your dad did.
Cairo94507
Congratulations and welcome.png ! Please post pictures so we can all see what you are dealing with. PorBoys is a known Porsche repair shop and the owner is active in several Cars 'n Coffee gatherings and seems like a very nice guy. I have never been to his shop, but I have heard good things.
StarBear
Major spine surgery yesterday morning. Several months of recovery and rehab ahead. Getting me thinking about my car’s future , maybe sooner than I thought. Son likes it but not the work or maintenance.
Will see how fast and we’ll Spring driving season arrives. Definitaely doing less of my own work.
At least got some good concours time I this year.
windforfun
Welcome for sure for sure.

https://www.adolphsautohaus.com

George & Steve. Steve knows 914s. The place is very reasonable. You can even lend a hand if you like. It's just the ticket for the routine stuff.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
930cabman
welcome.png

Great story and sorry for your loss. Best of luck with your new sporting machine. They are alot of fun and it sounds as though your example is in great shape. Pics please
SO.O.C914er
welcome.png welcome aboard the mid-engine madness! You have a really good group of people in Northern California to connect with. driving.gif
bkrantz
Pictures, please!
iankarr
Sorry for your loss. Welcome to our family. This is the greatest, most generous group of car people anywhere.

I've made a bunch of how-to 914 videos and a collection for newbies. you can find the link to my youtube channel below in my signature.

Be safe and enjoy!
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 11 2024, 03:40 PM) *

Major spine surgery yesterday morning. Several months of recovery and rehab ahead. Getting me thinking about my car’s future , maybe sooner than I thought. Son likes it but not the work or maintenance.
Will see how fast and we’ll Spring driving season arrives. Definitaely doing less of my own work.

best wishes for recovery.

keep the car and keep driving = keep moving and keep living.

1.8 = classic mate. beerchug.gif first.gif
Tonyooc
welcome.png keep the car car and enjoy it.
krazykonrad
welcome.png Welcome aboard!
campbellcj
welcome.png Welcome! You're definitely in good company here re getting the car fully sorted and it's a great story. Wishing for the best with your back rehab as well - never give up!
Cairo94507
@StarBear - Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

My twin brother had his 3rd back surgery 2 years ago this month. It was major, with a front entry and lots of titanium; 8 days in the hospital. I am very glad to say he's really doing well and is able to do everything. beerchug.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 11 2024, 01:40 PM) *

Sorry to hear that. Been there twice and it wasn’t fun. But it was worth it, I got out of the chair and walking, even working on my car again. I just had to work hard at getting better. Good luck!
StarBear
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 12 2024, 09:47 AM) *

@StarBear - Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

My twin brother had his 3rd back surgery 2 years ago this month. It was major, with a front entry and lots of titanium; 8 days in the hospital. I am very glad to say he's really doing well and is able to do everything. beerchug.gif

Praying for that outcome too. Thanks for the encouragement.
Freezin 914
Sorry for your family’s loss. You have come to the right place.

We like pictures of what your working on…. beerchug.gif

welcome.png
914_teener
Welcome AND welcome.png

AND thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I like to learn but if there was a Euro spec for MFI....think you meant EFI.

Euro spec was dual carbs if my old memory is still working.
Geezer914
Nice family history on the car. Find yourself a good mechanic that is familiar with these cars. Getting your oil changed at Pep Boys makes me cringe. Over torquing the bolt on the oil sump screen or striping the drain plug bolt is a nightmare waiting to happen, remember the case is aluminum. Young mechanics graduating vocational schools today have no idea what a set of points or a condenser is!
FlacaProductions
Greetings and welcome. Tons of info available here using the search function. This link usually makes it easier: http://tiny.cc/wqt0wz

And as Ian said above - watch his videos. They're really well done and even if you're not looking to do a specific procedure, it's just good general knowledge.
fiacra
Sorry for you and your spouse's loss. I'm glad you have stewardship of his car. Sounds like it was special to him.

I have no experience with PorBoys, but if you need someone closer to home I'd recommend Eason Auto. If I run into something I can't handle myself that's where I go.

https://www.easonauto.com/

mtndawg
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Fargos914
I'll add some better pictures when I have the chance to really get in to it, but hopefully here's a good start.
krazykonrad
Nice! first.gif

It looks like you are way ahead in the game. Maintenance rather than restoration.
KELTY360
welcome.png Glad the car has a special place in the family. Looks like a great car. The body color bumpers, sail panel and targa bar give it a distinctive appearance and hint at its euro spec legacy. The yellow painted engine tin is a nice touch. Old school for sure. Learn as much as you can because you're going to get lots of questions. You'll have a blast with it!

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.