Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - Ignition Switch Fit in -6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom1394racing
I had the Restoration Design 914-6 ignition switch panel welded into my '73 dash for my GT project. When mounted, the switch protrudes at a strange angle and does not protrude enough for the deco panel and bezel to be installed. What am I doing wrong here?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Welded in upside down...?
mb911
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 12 2024, 01:05 PM) *

Welded in upside down...?

agree.gif
Superhawk996
idea.gif Not so sure

There aren’t many good pics of 914/6 key switch but the ones I find have the switch at an angle and not perfectly square to dash. Probably due to how the 911 column lock dictates key position and angle?

I haven’t done one of these yet but planned to make part of a /6 conversion. Interested in what others with an original /6 might be able to photograph.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Maybe need to better understand why bezel won’t fit. Shims? confused24.gif

Here’s a thread comparing /6 to /4
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1224720

Click to view attachment
mepstein
That comparison omits the early 914-4 dash. No side vents on the early cars.
Ben used an RD ignition switch panel on his dash so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s right about it being upside down.
Superhawk996
Certainly not saying he’s wrong.

But on the 914/6 original photo (dash panel) it seems the deep end is at top same as OP photo so not sure how it could be reversed.

RD draw too deep? RD panel welded in with its own tip relative to dash? Different switch? I’m just curious and hoping to learn something. confused24.gif
Tom1394racing
Superhawk’s photos show that the bezel is at an angle to the dash face and that the bezel fits inside the deco plate not over top of it. I think if I enlarge the hole in the deco plate, so that the bezel fits inside, all will be well.
gandalf_025
This is a factory 6 ignition switch
that has bever been removed
from the car.

Click to view attachment
Tom1394racing
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jan 13 2024, 09:08 AM) *

This is a factory 6 ignition switch
that has bever been removed
from the car.

Click to view attachment

Great photo...Thanks
Superhawk996
@gandalf_025
smilie_pokal.gif
mepstein
In case this helps…
Front yard mechanic
Use flat head screws to gain more threads
mepstein
Looking at the piece, I don’t think it can be mounted upside down. You would have to ignore the locating bump that lines up with the switch opening next to the ignition mount.
tygaboy
agree.gif
I've never paid attention to details related to this mod and wasn't aware of the shape of that part. Hard to imaging it going in any way but correctly. I'll show myself out and defer to the experts.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 13 2024, 02:03 PM) *

agree.gif
I've never paid attention to details related to this mod and wasn't aware of the shape of that part. Hard to imaging it going in any way but correctly. I'll show myself out and defer to the experts.

Are you kidding . . . Experts av-943.gif

I’m just making educated guess based on photos I could find. Only because I’m planning on doing this someday
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 13 2024, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 13 2024, 02:03 PM) *

agree.gif

Are you kidding . . . Experts av-943.gif

I’m just making educated guess based on photos I could find. Only because I’m planning on doing this someday

The part from RD is cheap. The early 911 steerer, turn signal, wiper stalk, and ignition switch is pricey. Looks sort of cool but a lot of time and money to put the key on the other side.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 13 2024, 03:20 PM) *

The part from RD is cheap. The early 911 steerer, turn signal, wiper stalk, and ignition switch is pricey.

I know . . . I watch your postings all the time and have to fight the urge to buy a switch / Column lock from you every time. beerchug.gif

I’ve slowly been accumulating parts and switch gear to do the conversion. Mostly from you and Ben if I recall. I probably should buy the switch before those get even more expensive but at the same time I hate buying parts just to put them in storage until I get the garage completed happy11.gif

You’re right though - completely frivolous
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 13 2024, 02:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 13 2024, 03:20 PM) *

The part from RD is cheap. The early 911 steerer, turn signal, wiper stalk, and ignition switch is pricey.

I know . . . I watch your postings all the time and have to fight the urge to buy a switch / Column lock from you every time. beerchug.gif

I’ve slowly been accumulating parts and switch gear to do the conversion. Mostly from you and Ben if I recall. I probably should buy the switch before those get even more expensive but at the same time I hate buying parts just to put them in storage until I get the garage completed happy11.gif

You’re right though - completely frivolous

I have a spare switch that you can have for free. I don’t have a key for it so that’s on you. PM me your address (I really should save it into my contacts) and I’ll send it to you. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 12 2024, 07:54 PM) *

Holy crap that's a blast from the past! I did that work around 2000 or 2001 and posted that thread in 2009. That dash is still in my 4.0L six conversion. If someone wants particular pictures of it or of our factory six, I would be happy to take them.

But I am not removing the bezels or the vinyl covering.
Tom1394racing
Thanks all. I enlarged the hole in the dash fascia plate to allow the bezel to pass through it and everything fits now.
Superhawk996
smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.