Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Im looking for a quality shop that can do an align bore
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red76
I have a ‘73 914;with a 2.0L engine. The car hasn’t been on the road since 1990. Since the engine was out of the car when I bought it I decided now is a perfect time to go through it. As I tore it down I found lots of easter eggs indicating the PO tried to do a top overhaul.(valve job and new pistons and cylinders).as I dug deeper it appears that something was very out of balance in the rotating mass. With all that said im sure an align bore is in order.
Does anyone know of a shop that currently does this and can you provide contact information please.
Thanks in advance.
technicalninja
https://www.automotivemachine.com/

These folks started out as the only import machine shop in Ft Worth 50+ years ago.

They specialized in VW.

They currently sell a highly modified type1 that is used in the petroleum industry as a well pump.
Much less expensive than what is available and lasts 3-5 times longer.

VW FREAKS!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Jan 12 2024, 04:33 PM) *

These folks started out as the only import machine shop in Ft Worth 50+ years ago.

They specialized in VW.

They currently sell a highly modified type1 that is used in the petroleum industry as a well pump.

VW FREAKS!

I used automotive machine professionally for years. They did the machine work on the 4.0L motor. But the last time I checked with them, they no longer had the tools to align bore a VW Type IV.

porschetub
EMW do all you will need ,seems there are the best ,not sure about FAT/Rimco as seems there have been issues unlike years ago dry.gif ,appears to be an issue with QC now.
Cheers.
Freezin 914
I’ll add that you could check with Mofoco in Milwaukee, WI. Not matter what, sounds like you may be shipping it somewhere. Could you please post your results from who ever you decide to choose. Best of luck!
bkrantz
I used European Motorworks in Hawthorne CA for line bore and decking.
DennisV
QUOTE(Red76 @ Jan 12 2024, 02:19 PM) *

With all that said im sure an align bore is in order.
Does anyone know of a shop that currently does this and can you provide contact information please.
Thanks in advance.

I used Ollies. They seem like good folks and are well known in the Porsche community. They are in AZ. They are quite busy. So if you are in a rush, you may need to look elsewhere.
Red76
Thanks all for your input. Looking at all the shops listed it appears that European Motorworks (EMW) has the expertise to accommodate and accomplish what I need done. Since I have used them for other reasons on my last build I will probably do the same with this one.
technicalninja
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 12 2024, 04:39 PM) *

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Jan 12 2024, 04:33 PM) *

They specialized in VW.

VW FREAKS!

I used automotive machine professionally for years. They did the machine work on the 4.0L motor. But the last time I checked with them, they no longer had the tools to align bore a VW Type IV.

Oops! I haven't called them about my T4 yet, I had no idea they couldn't do everything now!
That screws up my plans...
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Sorry for posting bad info!
930cabman
QUOTE(Red76 @ Jan 12 2024, 05:19 PM) *

I have a ‘73 914;with a 2.0L engine. The car hasn’t been on the road since 1990. Since the engine was out of the car when I bought it I decided now is a perfect time to go through it. As I tore it down I found lots of easter eggs indicating the PO tried to do a top overhaul.(valve job and new pistons and cylinders).as I dug deeper it appears that something was very out of balance in the rotating mass. With all that said im sure an align bore is in order.
Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it is in need of align bore? What signs did you encounter that would point to the lower end being out of balance?

If it were me, I would get a set of new bearings and assemble the case/bearings and good crankshaft. Assuming the crank journals are in spec or close. If once torqued down the crank spins easily, all is good. Much cheaper/easier than sending the case out.
stownsen914
Whichever shop you choose can first measure the case to see if it's out of spec, and then if needed, line bore.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.