Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 for racing and what would you do ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914GTSTI
Hi all. Back at it. Well I never stopped just had life got in the way.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. 73 man that is old. LOL drunk.gif

I have been rethinking my build. I have a 72 (914) that has some rust but nothing like I have seen. Most of it is the outer jack point. Have the parts and just need to finish the install. The other is the passenger side front outer floor. Think I will just build a patch panel.

Going to stay with my plan to go with the EZ30R and a Subaru MT5. I will build a cradle for the motor and trans. Ign. will be Mega 3 V3/3.57 that I have. (for a long time)

Body plan is to add (still) the GT flares for the body. Add a roll bar system. Add the cooling system. Something like the Renegade system. Also have been thinking about the Renegade brake system for the stock 914 front uprights . A little price but it may be a way to go ?

Back to the "what would do ? "
I have a Granddaughter (17) who is asking about going racing. Well at least High Performance Driving . Like Pro-Autosports that I have raced with in my past.

This has me thinking about a car for her ( and maybe me ) to train with. Think it time to change my roll to be more a crew chief than a racer.
The car will also be a street able car .

So, its a 52 year old base car. What, is your experience would be the things (system) that you would add ? I know this is a BIG question . Maybe I just need to let it go ? I feel 23 but I'm not.

So thanks for the input and your help.

RandyClick to view attachment
mlindner
Age is just a number Randy, have fun with your project. I had my 914 setting in the back of the garage for 30 years. After a four year build this car is more fun than anything new. Like you, I'm 76 but feel like 30. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
Geezer914
Follow your dream. 75, turning 76 in March. Keeps me young.Click to view attachment
fasthonda
I would let it go. Keep the car and build it for fun if that's what you like to do, but I would not consider it for your granddaughter. Sure if you were to finish it you could do a track day together. If?

I would look for something more modern like a Subaru wrx, BRZ or Mini cooper so you could do it now. I just bought a 1997 Z3 with the intention of using it to teach my son to drive a stick. Still not sure if that's a good idea, but was more in line with my budget.

I'm 55 and feel like that's too old to be messing with the 914.
infraredcalvin
How fast can you build it, thing about 17 year olds is that you may only have their attention for a short period, so either involve her with the build, or get something already built for your purposes.

Click to view attachment
brant
Miata
Superhawk996
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 14 2024, 12:27 PM) *

Miata

agree.gif

Reliable, bulletproof engine (except early 90’), light, nimble, huge aftermarket support, RWD.

Based on what little I can see in that low resolution image of the 914, you’ve got more rust and more work than you think you have to get that back into track (or road) ready condition. Fix that up as a side project if you really want to keep it.
technicalninja
Miata. Miata, Miata, Miata

I have 4...

2 nice MSMs. Mazdaspeed Miata (the equivalent of a 914-6) Came turboed 6 speed, 4.1 Bosch torsen from the factory.

1 NB2 2001 6 speed, 3.9 torsen (smaller dif than the MSM).

1 NB1 5 speed open dif, totaled organ donor.

The Miata is the MOST forgiving car out there. The feedback they provide a driver is MASSIVE and they are BY FAR the easiest to control and bring back in line.

I describe them as "putting on your favorite running shoes" or "strapping on ice skates".

Absolutely PERFECT car as a starter.

In stock form the drivetrains can last over 300K.

Easiest modern car to work on as well. Non-interferance stock! You toss a timing belt at 7500 rpm and nothing bad happens.

I prefer the NB2, followed by the NB1 but the NC is also a wonderful car. It's actually faster around a racetrack and the chassis has more potential.

I cannot stand how they look...

Blue chip cars
Any MSM. 04 ansd 05 are the only years. 05s are stupid rare. 5k cars in 04 and 1k in 05.
More than half have been destroyed already...

2001-2002 NB2 with 6 speed and "Hard S" suspension.

Avoid 03-05 as they have a Fuji clutch pack diff that is worth NOTHING and breaks a lot.

99 anniversary cars 6 speed. torsen, Hard S
99-00 Nb1 with torsen diff and "Hard S" The 99 anniversary cars had an early 6 speed that wasn't as good as the later. All anniversaries take "BLUE" to the next level. Everything is blue including the top.

ALL of the above will double in value over the next 10 years. The MSMs will triple!

Shitloads of vendors make a huge selection of parts. Easiest car to get aftermarket go-fast goodies for.

In 2017 there were more Miatas being raced than everything else combined.

One of my MSMs (red) will hit 300 at the back wheels and the titanium one will be closer to 400.
Whole 400 hp car for less then a Raby 200hp T4 engine...
technicalninja
You can tell "Hard S" by looking at the door sticker in the passenger door jamb.

Pretty nice Bilsteins on these puppies. The MSM has even better ones but you want at least "Hard S" to start with
jat914
I live in Prescott, AZ and you are welcome to come up and see my 1974 914 track car.IPB Image
nimblemotorsports
I'm not sure I understand the question. Should you sell the 914 and get an existing car that is ready to hit the track today? If your goal is to go racing, then yes just get a car to do it. Doesn't mean you have to stop the 914 project or sell it, but if you have no desire or ability to work on it, then yeah sell it to someone who does.

I'm at the age where my work takes 4 times as long. I can work 4 hours a day om the shop before I'm ready to quit, vs 12 hours when I was younger. Frankly I try to get a single thing accomplished and call it a day. But then progress still happens.

I bought my 71 Midget as father son restore project, but frankly that car is unsafe to put my kids in, instead I got him a modern boring toyota and we worked to replace the transaxle in it. Kids that young don't need racecars that run on the street. But having one for track only is great. 914 is great. But you can go racing with anything, too fast is actually not ideal. fwd is better entry car.

My free advice. smile.gif
bkrantz
I have my own bias: the 914 makes a great track/race car, either with lower power or some big hp motor (and then the brakes and suspension to go with it). Compared to the default Miata choice, the 914 might take more work, and with stock power might even be slower at most racks, but it feels more racey to drive. And the mid-engine thing is real, especially on a track.

One question: timing. As others have said, any track car build will take time. Do you and your granddaughter want to spend a year or 3 working on the car together? Or are you (she) anxious to get behind the wheel ASAP?
tygaboy
Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer
Superhawk996
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 15 2024, 12:27 AM) *

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

wub.gif how have I never seen that confused24.gif
blabla914
If you have the space and support equipment, like a tow vehicle and trailer, just get a Miata already setup for the track. Like was said above at one point more Miatas were being raced than any other car.

My best friend who also has a 914 also has an NA and an NB Miata. Both are dedicated race cars. They are good little cars. Very affordable to run.

If you can crank out your 914 project would be suitable to go autocrossing with your grand daughter as first step, but you could (and should IMO) autocross a Miata with her.

Again, if you have the space, keep the 914 as a project. I mean maybe she will like that aspect too. Maybe you could do some autocross together with the 914 and the Miata. Lots of possibilities there.

However, if you want to do some driving with her in the next 6 mo to a year, go buy a Miata. Have fun.

Kelly
914GTSTI
Thanks for all the ideas.

General plan.

Finishing the welding repairs.
Get a EZ 36 and prep it for install.
Install GT steel flairs.
Convert to 5 stud wheels.
Find wheels for the flairs ?
Maybe build a cage system ? Maybe more GT vintage.

See if my Granddaughter wants to help ?

As for other cars. Thanks but no. Great ideas but ?

Been working on another long time project but it is more a street car/ show thing.Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 14 2024, 09:27 PM) *

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

Yeah, but only if you want to be like everyone else.

Surprising coming from you! biggrin.gif
r_towle
I might suggest shopping around for a retired 914 race car.
They always pop up for sale, and it will save you time and money.
Guaranteed you will need to do some work on it…but most have a cage, fuel setup etc.
Freezin 914
Just want to say all you guys that are in your 70’s, kudos to you all, I find you guys to be very inspiring. I hope to get to 60, but I am positive I won’t feel like I’m in my 30’s like you guys, because I already feel well past my use by date…..

Keep up all the builds dreams etc….. gives a guy like me hope…. Cheers!

As for buying a used race car, I agree. I’m sure it would save a bunch of time, sweat, and some money, could maybe get you turning laps a bit quicker. I though Chris Foley has a race car tub for sale… idea.gif
Thunderchief
I'm converting my 914 race car back to stock. The engine cover was narrowed (cut) to accommodate the roll bars going through. I don't need it anymore so if you need one, you can have it cheap
mate914
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jan 20 2024, 09:29 PM) *

Thanks for all the ideas.

General plan.

Finishing the welding repairs.
Get a EZ 36 and prep it for install.
Install GT steel flairs.
Convert to 5 stud wheels.
Find wheels for the flairs ?
Maybe build a cage system ? Maybe more GT vintage.

See if my Granddaughter wants to help ?

As for other cars. Thanks but no. Great ideas but ?

Been working on another long time project but it is more a street car/ show thing.Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif

I think that was a hard NO! On the Miata…..
Your Granddaughter will thank you for the memories from that teener you are saving.
I don’t really care for Subarus, but I’m OK if you do. That’s the beauty of being free in America.
Matt flag.gif
brant
Kids at that age grow up fast
Your window to drive with her on a track is short.
Probably a year

Your going to need to put in some overtime to have that car on a track within a year

Most can’t achieve that
914GTSTI
Maybe but ?
I'm not most.
But Thanks.

beerchug.gif
mate914
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jan 22 2024, 03:22 AM) *

Maybe but ?
I'm not most.
But Thanks.

beerchug.gif

That’s the kind of spirit we’re looking for. Let it shine let it shine.
Matt
brant
Good deal

And it should be easier since it’s not wheel to wheel racing with strict rules

More of a drivers- ed car
Full steam ahead
Can’t wait to see your pictures
914GTSTI
Getting a little ahead of my self. With the gt flairs (steel) how about running 8x17 and 9 x 17 ? Seem to be more tires to draw from.

beerchug.gif
fasthonda
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Jan 24 2024, 11:30 AM) *

Getting a little ahead of my self. With the gt flairs (steel) how about running 8x17 and 9 x 17 ? Seem to be more tires to draw from.

beerchug.gif

Yeah I'd say. I would run a square setup for tire rotation.

You should start new thread for the build.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.