Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Van Halen yard party
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Quinn Moore
Scrolling through Facebook, spotted this 914.
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
And the photo pops up yet again... beer.gif

(Trivia note...explaining the source of his son's band's name...)
sb914
I seen them around the same time at a small event they were the warm
Up band ..
GregAmy
QUOTE(sb914 @ Jan 14 2024, 09:20 AM) *

I seen them around the same time at a small event they were the warm
Up band ..

Wicked cool. I didn't see them until they had already made it big (Texxas Jam '86?)

But I remember vividly hearing them for the first time in '78 or '79. A buddy of mine ran up to me and said "you HAVE to hear this!" and tossed a quarter in the jukebox (a literaly 45RPM record jukebox). When the sounds of "Running With the Devil" started coming out of those speakers, I remember thinking "what in the literal hell is this beautiful music? And who is that guy?"

I think I've been to around a dozen VH concerts over the years, all three versions.

Fair Warning was the best VH v1 album. Fight me.
Spoke
The first and only time I saw VH was in Pittsburgh when they were the back up band for Black Sabbath. They were much better than BS.

Saw BS the next year in the 'burgh and Ted Nugent was the back up band. Again, Ted blew them off the stage. For his one encore, Ted came out and gave the crowd an ultimatum: 'If anyone here wants to mellow out you can get the fuck out'. After the concert the police had commented to the media that the smoke was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I did my part to contribute to the atmosphere.... smoke.gif
Front yard mechanic
Eddie must have rich back then I didn’t know anyone who could afford a Les Paul or a new porsche
Shivers
I grew up in Glendora, so they were doing backyard concerts in my area. A friend said ”You’ve got to come see this band” I saw them later at Anaheim stadium in socal in 1978. They ended up calling it "The Parachute Show". Strangely enough Sammy Hagar, “The Red Rocker” and former lead singer for VH played the same concert.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jan 14 2024, 04:41 PM) *

Eddie must have rich back then I didn’t know anyone who could afford a Les Paul or a new porsche

Well back then they weren't "real" Porsches. poke.gif
914_teener
Born in Pasadena CA and grew up there.

LOTS of stories seeing them in Pasadena during the early 70's.

Dave's dad (Dr. Roth) had the money and helped them front their first album.

Moved to Glendora in the early 90's and raised my kids there.

MA also lived in Glendora and daughter went to GHS with my son. Just sold his place there.

RIP Eddie.

Lots of memories and good times in So Cal in those days.

Unobtanium-inc
He liked his Porsche.
ctc911ctc
First time I saw them was '75/76 in Redondo at Sweet Water Cafe.

I remember thinking:

Good drummer,
Great Guitar
Singer was a jerk but completely owned it
Bass could sing high notes
Mostly Covers, some originals

a few years passed and then, at school, a friend was playing an album that I recognized! YOW!

My brother in law is a SanMarino guy, grew up with Roth's sister and also rolled a RS at 120+ in LaCanada......had to tie it back to Porsche. He was at the "worlds biggest and last house party" in SanMarino.....perhaps the craziest story i have ever heard.
Van Halen played this party when they were getting pretty big,,,,,,turned into a party that closed Pasadena....yow!

Happened here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZzYWLZXmqpyUNGL18

Was back in the old neighborhood around Christmas.....the owners of the house are still going large: here is a picture of their decorations.....crazy big, picture does not capture the enormity of their display....

Click to view attachment

Great thread - nice black/white 914 picture btw!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.