Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for a little swapppy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I had been having a little trouble with first gear on my 72 1.7 with a tailshifter. I adjusted the clutch, adjusted the linkage and was a little low on fluid. I added a little more fluid and found the main seal was no good. After all that my first gear still likes to pop out when cold and 1/2 the time when warm. Looks like I have a bad slider.

Oh well, no problemo'. The white car has a resealed trans and is a side shifter to boot. Just so happens to have an injected 2.0 attached to it. I had got the engine a few years back that was rebuilt about 30-40K ago, cleaned it up and all new gaskets and hoses.

The 1.7 runs great and I think it had been overhauled real recently, pressure plate looks new and the heads are very clean. I guess that will become my backup engine.

Old engine.
TravisNeff
Transplant!
TravisNeff
nuther.. I cut the heater boxes out - but heat is the last thing on my mind until at least December.
TravisNeff
Ready to be felched
TravisNeff
Hell hole area, has some rust converter on it and is solid. Note the new fuel lines I put in a few weeks ago. Would have been easier to do them now with the engine out. Looks better than my last brake line routing experience.
TravisNeff
I have the conversion bushings, pertronix and a couple more goodies coming monday. I will have to swap a CV on the inner drivers side. On the side shifter the flange on the drivers side is very galled up. I dunno if I should swap the flange, obviously that CV on the white car is toast, I will grab the opposing side CV.
Hammy
Nice.

How hard is it to do new fuel lines?
TravisNeff
Through the tunnel was not too bad. Made my 90 degree bends into the engine compartment first, and the bend to the passenger side at the front end. Insert wiggle, twist and go. A little more work than that, but that was the jist of it. I split the front grommet so I wouldn't have to thread the lines through. The lines in the engine compartment were tough, but not too bad. The trick was to get a couple extra lines for mock up then you can re-create the lines when you pull them out of the car.
Hammy
I seee cool.gif

What'd you use/where'd you get the fuel lines???
SirAndy
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Aug 20 2005, 02:06 PM)
nuther.. I cut the heater boxes out - but heat is the last thing on my mind until at least December.

ohmy.gif you know that the SSI 1.7L/1.8L HEs are NLA ... right?

could have sold those and bought yerself a nice set of used headers instead ...
cool.gif Andy
TravisNeff
The heater boxes were cut off the stock 2.0 exchangers, the 1.7 SSI's are still there on the 1.7 and in great shape, along with a bursch.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Aug 20 2005, 02:37 PM)
The heater boxes were cut off the stock 2.0 exchangers, the 1.7 SSI's are still there on the 1.7 and in great shape, along with a bursch.

phew, thank god ...

beerchug.gif Andy
gregrobbins
Travis, do you have a side shift motor mount? If not, I have one you can have.
jasons
Looks good Travis.... Maybe you can help me drop the motor out of my project roller in a couple of weeks! wink.gif

(Its actually half out already because the trans is dropped)
redshift
Nice man... I wish I had a spare, so I'd have one to destroy... that ISN'T IN THE CAR.

smile.gif

tic tic tic tic tic...

M
TravisNeff
I have the engine bar, I dropped the whole engine tranny combo from the white car, the first pic is of the engine/tranny that came out of the grey car.

Jasons - you bet! I just got a nifty tranny jack that seems to do the job real easily

I had to make a new side shift mount - the one that replaces the tranny style outer mount, The original one was too bent up to use. Will post a pic in a little bit
TravisNeff
Stole a CV from the donor car, which cleaned up niceley. The races have some wear but nothing you can feel with your fingernails. Good enough for what I need.
TravisNeff
mo'
TravisNeff
mo'
TravisNeff
Here is my side shift tranny. Check out the gouging in the flange. Seems as though someone either put the CV in backwards (and the roll pins in on the wrong side), or dissasembled the CV and put it back together backwards. The CV's should go from the inner race and expand outwards from that point - see the pic above. I had other pics of the dissasembly but they all turned out like crap. The one I will replace, I'll shoot some pics and see what kind of damage is done to it.
TravisNeff
Outboard motor mount, you need to remove the tranny style mount on the early cars and replace them with a folded peice of sheet metal. However when you scrape over speed bumps or steep driveways they will get all bent. I had 1 bad one so I decided to make another. Just had a scap piece of 1/4 steel that was the right length and width. drill a couple holes and a little work with a file for the oblong hole in the center.
TravisNeff
biggrin.gif Andy style pic
TravisNeff
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 20 2005, 01:23 PM)
I seee cool.gif

What'd you use/where'd you get the fuel lines???

I used 5/16" brake line in a 60" lengths. Got them at a local Checker auto for about $3-4 bucks each. I used both 5/16" as I moved my fuel pump up front (rather than the big/little line).
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Aug 20 2005, 04:37 PM)

you know that the 1.7 SSI H/Es have a bigger diameter than stock 2.0... you could pull the 1.7 SSI and bursch from the 1.7 and use on the 2.0...
TravisNeff
I thought that the SSI's were the same size as the 2.0, hmm......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.