Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best small six for a conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
I'm starting to shop around for a small used 6 between 2.0 to 2.7. Any reccomendations on which engines I should keep my eye on and which I should avoid?
McMark
Order Wayne Dempsey's 911 Engine book and turn to page 112. Lots of good info there. It's a great book to have, even if you aren't going to build an engine.
TravisNeff
The bruce anderson 911 book is great, you should know about the 2.7 issues. I haven't heard of much trouble of the smaller displacement engines besides a better oil pump. I personally love the sound of the small stroke engines, but long stroke for torque wins.
SirAndy
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Aug 20 2005, 02:13 PM)
I'm starting to shop around for a small used 6 between 2.0 to 2.7. Any reccomendations on which engines I should keep my eye on and which I should avoid?

EASY got a fairly nice and complete 2.2E with MFI on the shelf ...

tell john i sent you ...
biggrin.gif Andy
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 20 2005, 01:27 PM)
EASY got a fairly nice and complete 2.2E with MFI on the shelf

MFI=Rocknroll aktion035.gif

MFI is vintage technology, but it has the best throttle response. It's not the best under all situations, and if you've got warn out components it can be a nightmare, but when it's right and tight, it's awesome.

If I were going to pick a favorite small displacement six, it would be a MFI'd 2.4S with 2.2S pistons & cylinders, with S or E cams. This could be expensive to put together though, which is why alot of guys end up with a Motronic 3.2.

I love the smaller sixes though wink.gif
goose2
I'll have a 2.4 for sale soon (a month or 2). It's a ROW version with Zeniths. Good street motor...lots of torque, regular gas. Hear it run...drive it... if you come to Eugene before I pull it out.
J P Stein
It's the package, IMO.
10:1 lbs to HP will take you a while to master at your local AX.
How you get there is up to you.....but remember, light is gud, a stiff chassis is gud, big stickey tires with the suspension set up to go with em' is best.
You're putting yourself in a class where serious guys have this stuff....you wanna play, you have to pay. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
2.2 min. unless it a good deal (Trekor)
2.2 up to 2.7 have the same valve dia. only variance is port size. exhaust valve is over 40.00 . lotsa of easy combo's to build a nice engine reasonably priced.
2.2-2.4 no stud problems 2.7 case needs 500.00 up front to make it right agian.
Is there a CC limit for you're autocross class ?

Randy's motor : Rebuild & ,2.2 E pistons, E cams,S ports. 5K
Joe Bob
I have a 2.4 MFI that is in transit....and for sale....

But I've been impressed with my 2.0 "S"...180 hp....
redshift
I love the 2.4 with MFI, oh man I love the 2.4 with MFI.

I love MFI, I want to marry MFI. (I love the way it whines)

M(fi)
Joe Bob
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 20 2005, 03:45 PM)
I love the 2.4 with MFI, oh man I love  I want to marry MFI. (I love the way it whines)

M(fi)

Then date my wife...please....bada bump.... cool_shades.gif
lapuwali
There's a 2.4 T with CIS engine on Craigslist for only $1500 right now, in the parts section.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.