Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Passwords
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sithot
From several attempts the site apparently isn't friendly to me installing my own password. One is automatically generated which I do not want to use.
What's up?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
We don't generate passwords, that's all on your end. You must have a password manager installed.
idea.gif
sithot
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 22 2024, 02:27 PM) *

We don't generate passwords, that's all on your end. You must have a password manager installed.
idea.gif

It's a Mac thing but I've never had an issue over-riding it at any site I've been to. This was a first.

Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 31 2024, 01:34 PM) *

idea.gif

The password generated wasn't mine.
The one generated couldn't be deleted from the space.
Anyhow, I used what it gave me for now since there was no way to change it.

Thanks.

@sithot
I'd be very, very suspicious about this.

Again, we don't suggest or auto fill in passwords. Nor do we prevent you from changing what is in that field.

Everything you see in your screenshot was done by some background task on your own computer.
So, if you're not using a password manager, i'm concerned that your computer might be infected with a virus or ransomware.
wacko.gif
sithot
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 31 2024, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(sithot @ Jan 31 2024, 01:34 PM) *

idea.gif

The password generated wasn't mine.
The one generated couldn't be deleted from the space.
Anyhow, I used what it gave me for now since there was no way to change it.

Thanks.

@sithot
I'd be very, very suspicious about this.

Again, we don't suggest or auto fill in passwords. Nor do we prevent you from changing what is in that field.

Everything you see in your screenshot was done by some background task on your own computer.
So, if you're not using a password manager, i'm concerned that your computer might be infected with a virus or ransomware.
wacko.gif

Clean as the board of health here. LOL

Here's the Apple answer:

Automatic strong passwords
When iCloud Keychain is enabled, iOS, iPadOS, and macOS create strong, random, unique passwords when users sign up for or change their password on a website in Safari. In iOS and iPadOS, automatic strong password generation is also available in apps. Users must opt out of using strong passwords. Generated passwords are saved in the keychain and kept up to date across devices with iCloud Keychain, when it’s enabled.
By default, passwords generated by iOS and iPadOS are 20 characters long. They contain one digit, one uppercase character, two hyphens, and 16 lowercase characters. These generated passwords are strong, containing 71 bits of entropy.
Passwords are generated based on heuristics that determine whether a password-field experience is for password creation. If the heuristic fails to recognize a context-specific password being used at password creation, app developers can set UITextContentType.newPassword on their text field and web developers can set autocomplete= “new-password” on their <input> elements.
To help ensure that generated passwords are compatible with the relevant services, apps and websites can provide rules. Developers provide these rules using UITextInputPasswordRules or the passwordrules attribute on their input elements. Devices then generate the strongest password they can that fulfills these rules.
Published Date: February 18, 2021
SirAndy
So you *do* have a password manager then ...
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.