Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $ 444,000 buys you this 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
technicalninja
Thought it was more than 400K!

Used, you could buy real 914-6 AND a GT3...

New, a Cayman GTS and a couple Porsche SUVs...
I sort of like the Macan!
(New, with factory warranty!).

Or

Big, nice house down here in Texas, with acreage and plenty of room for a shop...
Might even be able to find a place with a shop already!

CRAZY!

I really wonder if they're going to sell a single one...

I bet it won't be 444K!
rhodyguy
Or retire early, payoff your mortgage, something somewhat constructive. Imagine the service work
PanelBilly
Or buy a Cayman
fasthonda
Looks like they used an old school wheel center cap for the steering wheel center just like I did!
wonkipop
two things.

1)
notice how the imperial empire refers to it as a nine one four.
(australia being ex imperial - sort of - also speaks this way).

everything is a three five six, a nine two four, a nine two eight, a nine one two etc.
with one exception. for some reason the 911 is known as the nine eleven as per USA.

2)
i did notice they have gone one step further than any other right hand drive conversion anywhere. they totally transposed the fuel tank. very deep pedal well, rebuilt passenger footwell which has been sort of mirrored like a lhd car. i bet its got a reasonable fuel tank capacity. you can also spy this in the front trunk. gas tank filler over towards right hand side. very interesting. i would call that possibly the best rhd 914 i have seen. i'd love to drive it to confirm but i bet the whole deal feels real good rhd.

of course i don't have that sort of money.
but i guess if i had time and some spare money and a roller to work on i'd almos think of having another go at a rhd car and go all out. beerchug.gif
Tonyooc
If I start a Go Fund me page will you guys buy me one??lol
mlindner
love it.
Geezer914
That has to be the ultimate 914, 400 hp!!!
krazykonrad
How about that Cayman engine? Could we shoe-horn one into a regular 914?
Rufus
Comparing this 914 restomod vs a restored original with a Singer vs a nicely restored 911, I don’t just don’t see the attraction of this car (just my personal opinion).

The Singers, again in my opinion, deviate in style from originals tastefully. IMHO this restomod deviates from an original too much. Styling is overdone and not tastefully done.

Yuk!

I’d much prefer having John Straub’s old GT sold on BaT for $110k in 2021, or
The real 914/6 converted by Brumos to GT sold recently on BaT for $220k.
Both outta my price range.
nimblemotorsports
I like the fenders, but not the headlights 'frenched' into the opening. Seems they really missed the boat on not having the popups. That should drop the price from $440,000 to just $40,000... I'm surprised it isn't priced at $914,000 cuz why not.
ClayPerrine
Wow! I didn't realize that it was priced at $444,000. With that price, I don't think they will sell any.

Why, you ask?

Well, their target audience is people that love 914s. And based on what I see on here, we are all a bunch of cheap SOBs. Nobody on here is going to shell out that much money, well not unless it is a real GT with documented race history. So maybe the Sounato GT, but Marty already owns that one.

So personally I like the car, but they have priced themselves out of the market.

However, I would love to look under the back end to see how they attached the Cayman rear suspension to the 914 chassis. I have been contemplating that conversion for a few years now.

wonkipop
beginning to pick up the subtleties now of the conversion to rhd.
but also realising they must be doing more or less the same amount of work on the lhd cars.

hadn't stopped to think about the boxster cayman steering rack.
nothing like the old centre action analogue porsche rack.
they didn't just do a right hand mirror tank for the sake of the pedal well and tank capacity. the bulb section of a factory tank would completely foul the boxster column rack connection. you might be able to get away with less work on the lhd shell but i am guessing they probably modify just as much of the firewall in the end. and likely fabricate a new tank to fit thats a mirror version whether left or right hand drive.
be interesting to see what the lhd version is like. i guess at this stage only this right hand drive version physically exists.

so its definitely got power steering.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 23 2024, 02:03 PM) *

The manual steering rack is light enough even with big tires on the front.

So I ask why put power steering on it? confused24.gif

A 914 with power steering is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. It don't belong.

wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 23 2024, 02:44 PM) *

A 914 with power steering is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. It don't belong.

they are doing a lot of work on that inner wheel well.
you can see the slice taken out of its interior bulb shape that is flattened.
did i understand the video right? its an entire cayman front and rear end?
the wider track is letting them get a foot well that is more alligned longitudinal with the seat and tyre does not foul on it. must mean the steering wheel is slightly repositioned than how it is in an original car. more straight ahead not slightly angled?
in both the left hand and right hand drive versions.

there is a bit going on there you don't notice at first glance.

your right re power steering.
one of the joys of my 914 for me is the wonderful unassisted but light steering.
maybe cayman steering feel is ok, but i have never driven one so wouldn't know.
wonkipop

they have really reworked the whole seating position. dashboard instrument pod position. and i think steering wheel location. all closer to side of cabin.
(steering column dashboard penetration a bit crude! for 440K. blink.gif )

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
I have to admit, I love the shifter presentation on it. I am considering something similar for my car.

wonkipop
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 23 2024, 03:07 PM) *

I have to admit, I love the shifter presentation on it. I am considering something similar for my car.

yeah. i'd love to sit in it and try it.
they may well have been able to really think about this due to the wider front track.

there is nothing wrong with the original left hand drive cars.
its like they were meant to be lhd and only left hand drive.
early 911s are the same.
the diagonal seating pedal arrangement feels very natural in left hand drive cars.
even the old beetles.
but its a different story rhd. the beetles are okish and 911s too but 914s because they are so wide and the seats less inboard (with the wide centre cushion) take a fair bit of work and careful thinking to get right in RHD configuration.

they have definitely put a bit of effort into it and done some pretty major work.
and i imagine the LHD version is a mirror with all the same corrections to the original more diagonal lhd ergonomics.

its not something that american owners would pick up on or be interested in as there is little to be critical of in the original cars. but you really notice if you sit in a rhd car that has not been converted just right.
914_teener
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 23 2024, 12:44 PM) *

I disagree....if it's the 987.1 rack you'll need it. But.....I'll tell you from my Caymans that I've had, in the video...he is WAY under shifting that engine and if he really gets into it, that engine really goes to another level above 4k and for sure he's not even touching it. If he did...they'd have to have a clean up crew for the seat at that curb weight and at that point it could be a problem with the polar moment on the car. I can't imagine what that would feel like with the stock 914 rack going into a hard corner.

Also...did they use a PASAM suspension or the stock brake "equalizer" . That's a a lot of engine even in it's stock config. Nice build...I've only seen a couple of 987 drivelines done in a 914 and that one is nice.

But like others have said......why not just a stock Cayman S?
914_teener
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 23 2024, 12:53 PM) *

they are doing a lot of work on that inner wheel well.
you can see the slice taken out of its interior bulb shape that is flattened.
did i understand the video right? its an entire cayman front and rear end?
the wider track is letting them get a foot well that is more alligned longitudinal with the seat and tyre does not foul on it. must mean the steering wheel is slightly repositioned than how it is in an original car. more straight ahead not slightly angled?
in both the left hand and right hand drive versions.

there is a bit going on there you don't notice at first glance.

your right re power steering.
one of the joys of my 914 for me is the wonderful unassisted but light steering.
maybe cayman steering feel is ok, but i have never driven one so wouldn't know.

The 987.1 is a power assisted rack...nice feel like a 914 but less gritty but just enough to feel like you can "feel" the road. I liked it although the "wine and cheese" crowd didn't like the feedback.

The 987.2 was a electronic rack...I hated it...you could almost feel the lag response and it was for me...a little unerving.
mepstein
One of the reasons I’ve always liked the 914 is because it can hold its own with the big boys for a fraction of the price. My first 914 was $1,700. Even though it had issues it gave me a driving experience that was pretty amazing. If I’m going to spend close to half a mill on a car, it better be more than the ultimate 914. And while I don’t buy cars with the expectation of them increasing in value, I doubt this hybrid 914/caymen will be very desirable in the years to come. Interesting project car but I sure wouldn’t build a business plan around it.
NARP74
Oops
eric9144
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2024, 05:43 PM) *

One of the reasons I’ve always liked the 914 is because it can hold its own with the big boys for a fraction of the price.

I don't understand the intended market for the car at the price point. You can build a hell of a 914 hot rod for 1/4 to 1/2 that price confused24.gif
campbellcj
I really don't get it either, but I figure "there's a butt for every seat" in terms of cars just like with jobs, and people buy all sorts of custom hot-rods, resto-mods, kits, replicas etc. for big money. The other depressing aspect is of course there are some people for whom $444k is like $4k or even $400 for the rest of us, and this might be one of dozens (or more) cars in the fleet.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 8 2024, 09:30 PM) *

The other depressing aspect is of course there are some people for whom $444k is like $4k or even $400 for the rest of us, and this might be one of dozens (or more) cars in the fleet.

Really?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 23 2024, 09:43 PM) *

One of the reasons I’ve always liked the 914 is because it can hold its own with the big boys for a fraction of the price.

agree.gif aktion035.gif

Cause’ I can’t afford a $444k 914 or a fleet of high end cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.