Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOLD: "Rebuilt" 2056 GA engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
nditiz1
*****SOLD*****

I currently have a 2056 "rebuilt" engine in my 912E. I put rebuilt in quotes because the guy I bought the 912E from said he did the rebuild. Nice guy, used to fly planes. The engine seems healthy. It starts up pretty easily once it has the fuel flowing. I took 2 vids today. The first is the cold start after it had not been started in weeks. The second is the restart, which it fired right up.

Specs:
2056 built on a GA (73-74) 2.0 engine
Electronic ignition
Stock FI cam with new cam bearings
Solex/Kadron Carbs - they work, are cheap, single to dual. I would spring for weber 40IDF and some nice linkage (CSP or Tangerine)
Nice thing is you can run it as is until you get the other pieces for the swap.
Breather ports on the heads (I hate these, but they are already present)
NEW info:
Flat top euro P&C from AA performance
Valve guides were decent so not changed. New valves were installed.

Things you will need:
2.0 engine tin, sorry this is 912e engine tin and does not work for a 914
Fan housing - This is 912E specific because it has the engine serial number so I would like to keep it. Not really specific as it is the same design as the 914, but unique.
Exhaust - The current one is also 912E specific.

Can easily palletize and ship across the US. I sold 2 or 3 engines last year and did that.

Leakdown performed on cold engine.
Loss
Cyl 1: 9%
Cyl 2: 6%
Cyl 3: 10%
Cyl 4: 5%

$4,500
Now $3,500 obo
$3200 no carbs
https://youtu.be/iFqvmbMNb_Q

https://youtu.be/dcgby4sJC-k
Fahren Cars
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jan 22 2024, 09:11 PM) *

I currently have a 2056 "rebuilt" engine in my 912E. I put rebuilt in quotes because the guy I bought the 912E from said he did the rebuild. Nice guy, used to fly planes. The engine seems healthy. It starts up pretty easily once it has the fuel flowing. I took 2 vids today. The first is the cold start after it had not been started in weeks. The second is the restart, which it fired right up.

Specs:
2056 built on a GA (73-74) 2.0 engine
Electronic ignition
Solex/Kadron Carbs - they work, are cheap, single to dual. I would spring for weber 40IDF and some nice linkage (CSP or Tangerine)
Nice thing is you can run it as is until you get the other pieces for the swap.
Breather ports on the heads (I hate these, but they are already present)

Things you will need:
2.0 engine tin, sorry this is 912e engine tin and does not work for a 914
Fan housing - This is 912E specific because it has the engine serial number so I would like to keep it. Not really specific as it is the same design as the 914, but unique.
Exhaust - The current one is also 912E specific.

Can easily palletize and ship across the US. I sold 2 or 3 engines last year and did that.

$4,500

https://youtu.be/iFqvmbMNb_Q

https://youtu.be/dcgby4sJC-k

If you consider selling just the (912e tins and exhaust, please let me know. Interested!)
Al Meredith
I've had three 912Es and now have #265. I built the 2056 engine about 12 years ago with all RABY parts . Len Hofman heads at 9.5 to 1 CR , Raby cam and lifter kit . I use weber 44s and the flywheel is lightened a little. Great combo . Don't let the tin and exhaust go. This 912E stuff is impossible and is it is impossible to replace. Good luck and to anyone on this board that may buy this engine, keep my name as I have plenty of experience with 912Es and 2056s. AL
nditiz1
Uploaded another cold start video. I will be dropping the engine soon.

https://youtu.be/U4CnH6WiSZI

Price drop too $4300
nditiz1
Pretty clean under the engine. HE came off with ease. 3 of 8 pushrod tubes show leaking.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
Leakdown performed on cold engine.
Loss
Cyl 1: 9%
Cyl 2: 6%
Cyl 3: 10%
Cyl 4: 5%
technicalninja
Those are excellent readings on a cold engine!

If I was paying 4K for a used engine I'd want to see three other "readings"

Hot compression. All plugs out, WOT throttle, Battery charger on medium during test.

Hot leak down. Has to be re-heated after the comp test. The practice of pumping cold air into the engine cools it rapidly.

Running a compression test with all plugs out cools the engine fast as well.

I'm after "heat soaked" numbers here.

Then cold and warm oil pressure.

Looks like a "plug it in and use it" candidate to me!

I'm not a buyer, I build my own stuff.

Lots of folks on here don't and need something like this.

The price is correct for a RTG (ready to go) engine IMO.

With good hot numbers the engine should be easier to sell.

Those cold leak down numbers should improve 50% hot and as long as the valve adjustment is spot on you should have almost identical comp readings.

Looks like you could start a bidding war over the 912 stuff...

GLWS!
914werke
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jan 23 2024, 12:45 PM) *
Good luck and to anyone on this board that may buy this engine, keep my name as I have plenty of experience with 912Es AL
Question for you Al as I also have a E drive train & was seriously looking at the car/project Nick sold. The mtr pic are shown sans the unicorn HE's for the E. but the heads are different than those equipped on mine, in that the bosses arent tapped for the bracket to secure /support the HE's? Also was this an Aircon motor? I see a cutout that also isnt on my mtr.
idea.gif

Click to view attachment

BTW Im still on the lookout for a reasonably priced 923
nditiz1
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 28 2024, 01:50 PM) *

Good luck and to anyone on this board that may buy this engine, keep my name as I have plenty of experience with 912Es AL
Question for you Al as I also have a E drive train & was seriously looking at the car/project Nick sold. The mtr pic are shown sans the unicorn HE's for the E. but the heads are different than those equipped on mine, in that the bosses arent tapped for the bracket to secure /support the HE's? Also was this an Aircon motor? I see a cutout that also isnt on my mtr.
idea.gif

Click to view attachment

Most likely everything from the 914 case was used for this install. Just add tin, fan housing, and HEs.
nditiz1
Engine dropped, price dropped $4200

Click to view attachment
Al Meredith
The stock 912 E engine did have the heads drilled for a muffler support. They also had a big round tank of a prolusion device. When you remove the heat tank you need a two into one "Y" shaped adapter to replace it. I think I got mine from Pelican . This piece allows you to use the stock heat exchangers .
nditiz1
$4000 obo
nditiz1
Updated cam info - FI. Could go back to Djet if you have the equipment.
nditiz1
$3700. Can offer less without carbs.

Click to view attachment
RRietman
would this engine/cam work with L-jet from a 74 1.8?
Thanks
Randy
nditiz1
I think some have modified the L-jet to work with a 2056 engine, but you would have to search for the thread. Also I'm not sure how the cam profile of the 1.8 matches to the 2.0. This would be better suited to a 2.0 Djet since it already has the 2.0 FI cam and is a 2056.
RRietman
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Feb 5 2024, 01:38 PM) *

I think some have modified the L-jet to work with a 2056 engine, but you would have to search for the thread. Also I'm not sure how the cam profile of the 1.8 matches to the 2.0. This would be better suited to a 2.0 Djet since it already has the 2.0 FI cam and is a 2056.

thanks, on further thought I think the main issues would be intake/exhaust bolt patterns. maybe the cam profile is a non issue?
thanks
Randy
nditiz1
QUOTE(RRietman @ Feb 5 2024, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Feb 5 2024, 01:38 PM) *

thanks, on further thought I think the main issues would be intake/exhaust bolt patterns. maybe the cam profile is a non issue?
thanks
Randy

You would need 2.0 intake runners, which I may have a spare set laying around. The exhaust is the same, meaning you can put 1.7 and 1.8 headers on 2.0. It's the muffler/hanger that needs to match the headers.
nditiz1
Price drop
$3500
$3200 - no carbs
B2524
Any idea what shipping to 93465 would be?
nditiz1
Ill get a better number, but the last one I had sent to me last year was $600 CA to MD. House pickup to terminal.
nditiz1
@B2524 - $282.85 via XPO logistics. That is going to be the cheapest and that's terminal to terminal. I would drop it off 45 mins from my house and you would need to pick it up from the XPO terminal near you.
nditiz1
New info on the rebuild

Flat top euro P&C from AA performance
New valves, guides were decent so not replaced.
Fahren Cars
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 28 2024, 02:50 PM) *

idea.gif

I have a 923 but I'm on the fence about selling it. Do you have a 915 or 2.7 or 3.0 core for trade. I planned to put my 912E 2.0 with the 923 in my 911 until I build a bigger motor. May be thinking about going straight to a /6 though.
nditiz1
QUOTE(Fahren Cars @ Feb 12 2024, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 28 2024, 02:50 PM) *

idea.gif

I have a 923 but I'm on the fence about selling it. Do you have a 915 or 2.7 or 3.0 core for trade. I planned to put my 912E 2.0 with the 923 in my 911 until I build a bigger motor. May be thinking about going straight to a /6 though.

If you go that route you will need to weld the 912e brackets in each lower wheel well for the engine bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.