Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jim dorociak
Guys - I need a 1970 muffler heat shield as my original one got replaced for who knows what reason. I am getting ready to go on the rotisserie. Time to do all the metal work.

Jim

jdorociak@gmail.com
Al Meredith
Is there a difference between a 70 and a later one ? I know the 6 is different and unavailable but I thought all 4 cylinder were the same. I have one but not sure what year? AL
aturboman
First is the early half round "bread pan" style used on the early cars (4 & 6 are the same shape).

These were screwed into the trunk and as best I can tell were used through 1971, this is what Jim needs.

Later shields were more squared in profile and had cut outs to accommodate rear sway bars. I've documented 2 shapes for these later ones, and possibly a 3rd for late cars with catalytic converters.

This is a 1972 style shield

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

All of the rounded pans were attached with phillips head screws from inside the trunk.
I've long suspected that 1970 4cyl. cars had the same pan as 6s but have never
verified it. It's good to see that Robert agrees.
All of the 'square' pans were spot welded to the trunk floor.
I agree with Robert that there was a third version with features to suit cars with
cat converters... maybe just California cars ?
jim dorociak
Thank you Robert for clarifying and the picture really helps define which one I need. Jim
zoomCat
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jan 24 2024, 02:53 PM) *

Is there a difference between a 70 and a later one ? I know the 6 is different and unavailable but I thought all 4 cylinder were the same. I have one but not sure what year? AL

The shields for the early 4 and the 6 both screw on, but appear to mount in different places. Pictures in this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6&hl=Shield
rgalla9146
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Jan 24 2024, 08:56 PM) *

The shields for the early 4 and the 6 both screw on, but appear to mount in different places. Pictures in this thread:

So...there IS confirmation that 1970 4 cyl. cars had the same shield as 914 6s
bdstone914
@jim dorociak

date='Jan 24 2024, 10:21 AM' post='3125320']
Guys - I need a 1970 muffler heat shield as my original one got replaced for who knows what reason. I am getting ready to go on the rotisserie. Time to do all the metal work.

Jim

jdorociak@gmail.com
[/quote]

I have a later type if you are interested. It could be attached by drilling holes in the brackets.
Bruce
zoomCat
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 25 2024, 08:52 AM) *

They both bolt on, but the mounts are different at a minimum. I’ll see if I can find some better pictures.
zoomCat
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Jan 25 2024, 02:35 PM) *

They both bolt on, but the mounts are different at a minimum. I’ll see if I can find some better pictures.

Here’s the shield from my six, prior to restoration:
Click to view attachment

And here’s a picture of one from a four. Note the placement of the outer lower mounts.
Click to view attachment
aturboman
For clarity the early style image I posted is on a 914-6. I know early 4 cyl are also rounded but I am not certain if the mounting feet are in the same place but I suspect so.

The early 4 cyl muffler is smaller than a 6 so I don't see why it would need different placement under the trunk, plus the real estate is very limited where is sits.
aturboman
YES

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 25 2024, 05:52 AM) *

zoomCat
QUOTE(aturboman @ Jan 25 2024, 03:42 PM) *

For clarity the early style image I posted is on a 914-6. I know early 4 cyl are also rounded but I am not certain if the mounting feet are in the same place but I suspect so.

The early 4 cyl muffler is smaller than a 6 so I don't see why it would need different placement under the trunk, plus the real estate is very limited where is sits.

I’ve highlighted the location of the mounts on the six, you can make out the Phillips heads if you squint. Clearly different from the four shown earlier.
Click to view attachment
914ltd
I have a nice straight 1970 shield. $125 and another that will need some minor straightening. $100
aturboman
Jim's lucky day.
914ltd
QUOTE(914ltd @ Jan 30 2024, 08:31 AM) *

I have a nice straight 1970 shield. $125 and another that will need some minor straightening. $100

SOLD Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.