Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I took the 914-6 out today...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
I a little embarrased, but I took the 914-6 street car out today for the first time this season. I picked it up before work and then went for a long cruise after work. All was going well, until the LR brake started binding. It has been an intermittent problem that I am planning on fixing monday. Anyway, I wanted to go for a cruise tomorrow, as it is supposed to be 75 and sunny here in MN, but of course now I can't because the brake is locking up pretty bad.

Question:
How much harm can I do to a brake that is binding if I drive it on city streets for a few miles. I figure at this point the caliper(s) need rebuilding, and possibly while I am in there the rotors will get replaced. Is there anything else that I should worry about as a consequence of driving it to my mechanic monday?
SirAndy
QUOTE (vintage914racer @ Aug 20 2005, 06:31 PM)
How much harm can I do to a brake that is binding if I drive it on city streets for a few miles.

depends on how bad it is. i had a rotor glowing bright red in the dark. i pulled over on the freeway and i saw sparks flying off the wheel, coming from the rotor.
not gud ...
thought about peeing on it to cool it down. smile.gif

second time, heard the brakes grinding (in the rear again), i was on my way to work, so i'm thinking, it's only 10 miles, i'll look at it when i get there.
next thing, i hear a loud pop, brakes go bye bye.
not gud again ...
pull over and the brake fluid had gotten so hot that it popped a seal and the fluid was dripping all over the place.

so, to make this short, i probably wouldn't drive it like that ...
wink.gif Andy
DonTraver
Back in the 80's with my 1st 914, had a caliper dragging, it's only 7 miles to get home, mostly freeway. Long story short, didn't make it, caliper locked up, time for the tow truck. This was in the days before cell phones, sat for a couple of hours before a CHP pulled over and got me a tow.

The bill was about a grand back them, the caliper ruined a bunch of stuff.

I wouldn't drive it, get it fixed first, cheaper in the long run.

Good luck, Don
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 20 2005, 05:38 PM)
depends on how bad it is. i had a rotor glowing bright red in the dark. i pulled over on the freeway and i saw sparks flying off the wheel, coming from the rotor.
not gud ...
thought about peeing on it to cool it down. smile.gif

so, to make this short, i probably wouldn't drive it like that ...
wink.gif Andy

Brave statement considering your history with peeing in public. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Kidding!!!!

smg914
1.Take the break reservoir cap off.
2.Maybe wrap a towel of paper towels around the reservoir.
3.Remove the LR wheel.
4.Remove the brake pads.
5.Use something to push the pistons as far as you can back into the caliper.
6.Replace the pads and hit the brake pedel.
7.Repeat 4 thru 6 about 5 times.

This process should free up the caliper enough for you to drive the car on Sunday.
TravisNeff
I had a sticky front caliper and the brakes got hot enough to boil the fluid and no brakes, still had the ebrake and that saved my bacon. Luckily it was on city streets, however dumb of me I knew it was a little sticky before I drove it around.
qa1142
Ok, here is a story from when i was a young hack

I had a Fiat (insert Joke here) sedan, the little boxy 4 door one. Aluminum calipers, steel pistons, corroded every winter in chicago.

I had one I just could not fix, car was on last legs. SOOOOOOOOOO

Every time it was binding > I just looked for pothole > blamo caliper would release laugh.gif and I could keep driving

PS dont do this if you have nice tires or rims happy11.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 20 2005, 11:29 PM)
3.Remove the LR wheel.
4.Remove the brake pads.

This process should free up the caliper enough for you to drive the car on Sunday.

The procedure is more complicated with a rear caliper.
You have to unscrew the adjuster at the same time as you try to retract the piston.
I like to use a C clamp to retract caliper pistons.
smg914
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Aug 21 2005, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE (smg914 @ Aug 20 2005, 11:29 PM)
3.Remove the LR wheel.
4.Remove the brake pads.

The procedure is more complicated with a rear caliper.
You have to unscrew the adjuster at the same time as you try to retract the piston.
I like to use a C clamp to retract caliper pistons.

Oh yeah that's right. Thanks.
vintage914racer
Well I foolishly decided to try to make the few mile trip to my buddy who is going to fix it and made it there just fine. Unfortunately now I have to wait at lease a week to drive the car. To make things worse it is perfect porsche weather here...Sunny and not too hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.